THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I cook my briskets this way all of the time, and have for a long time. It turns out a fantastic product with even bark on the entire point and flat. This makes the best "burnt ends" I've ever had. There is nothing wrong with separating and seasoning pre-cook.

I didn't say wrong. I said I wouldn't. And best burnt ends means you've never had mine. :laugh:

And, JesseQ,....The whole thing is going to shrink, big time. it might touch a side at the begining,.. but by the time you wrap it,.. it won't be. A small piece of foil where it touches the sides will help.

Perhaps it's been asked, but what kind of smoker do you have?
I'm guessing it's a smaller diameter, maybe a water smoker like a WSM or ECB?

See above post. I am looking to pick up an offset or vertical within the next six months. Not sure which yet. Verticals seem to provide a bit more bang for the 'ole buck but there's something about a stick burner I just love.

Considering all the usual suspects; Backwoods, Stumps, Lang, Old Country, Klose, Pits by JJ, etc.

And, JesseQ,....The whole thing is going to shrink, big time. it might touch a side at the begining,.. but by the time you wrap it,.. it won't be. A small piece of foil where it touches the sides will help.

Yep, it will shrink. If you look closely at the photo I posted I had to put a pan under the brisket to crown it up b/c it wouldn't fit otherwise. It shrank up good and nice:) As long as I can get the lid on tight I'm good to go.

I'm in the separate camp.

When I cook larger briskets on my 18.5" WSMs I completely separate the point and flat removing most of the fat. I put the point in the center of the cooking grate and then lay the trimmed flat over the top of the point. Raising the middle of the flat makes it fit on the grate better. I also smoke some of the hard fat. Makes a tasty cooks treat when it gets crispy.

Back