Overnight Pork Shoulder Picnic Smoke

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Had to cook some pork shoulders that were in the refrigerator.

I came home earlier this week and found a large insulated box sitting on my top doorstep. I looked inside to find two twin packs of pork that contained 4 large pork shoulder picnics, totaling about 46 pounds.

enhance

Turns out it was a return of favor for helping out a friend a few weeks back.

Trimmed 3 of the 4 shoulders and injected with Oakridge Game Changer Brine mixed with Peach Nectar.

enhance

Gave a heavy base coating of Oakridge Secret Weapon Rub, then a layer of Butch's Smack Your Lips Magic Dust.

enhance

Loaded the charcoal tray with Stubb's Briquettes and chunks of cherry wood.

enhance

Brought the smoker to temperature, and then put it into the smoker for an overnight cook at 245°.

enhance

The fourth shoulder was rubbed with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, mexican oregano, maldon salt flakes, adobo seasoning, and some black pepper.

enhance

The shoulder was refrigerated and left to marinate all day today, overnight, and most of tomorrow. It will be cooked for Roasted Pork Pernil late tomorrow.

Time to relax now and watch some TV.

Last edited:
I didn't use the BBQ Guru because the Down East Beast was stable all evening long.

Went out back to check everything before going to bed, everything was fine.

Got up at 5:30 and saw that the smoker had jumped up to 270°. The top pork picnic had reached an IT of 200°, the bones pulled out with no resistance, just a little over-cooked, but it will be fine. As you can see, the single picnic on the top shelf was darker than it should be, no it's not burned but really dark, no burnt taste.

The other two picnics are just fine with color. Live and learn, I should have used the BBQ Guru with the overnight temperature drop and the increased humidity.

enhance

Pulled the picnics this morning. The picnic that was slightly over-cooked was softer and didn't pull in nice long strands like the others.

enhance

All in all, the picnics were just fine. I Vac-sealed in 2 and 3 pound packages, then froze them for a couple upcoming parties.

4th Pork shoulder Picnic Cook

Well it's Tuesday and the remaining pork shoulder picnic that I rubbed with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, mexican oregano, maldon salt flakes, adobo seasoning, and some black pepper has sat it the refrigerator for three days. The extended time has allowed the flavors to get deep within the meat.

Continuation of the 4th Shoulder Picnic cook can be found here....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4076579#post4076579

Back