Outlaw, Lang, Jambo or Franklin?

Give Dub at kcsmokerco a call. He made my custom smoker and I couldn't be happier.

In my opinion Lang isn't what they used to be. Just me though. Lots of people still love them. You'll never see an offset thread without someone mentioning Shirley. Their just really well built and have a huge following. Shirley will build a standard round reverse flow or direct flow. It's a really long wait though.

Since you'll mostly get us recommending the pits we bought I suggest you buy the one that "talks" to you the most. You know, the one you'll think about forever if you don't get it now. I have to admit I've always wanted a Jambo back yard model but I end up with a shirley every time. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hope once Shirley moves into their new shop and things settle in, you could order a sweet custom 24x36 like you got and not wait 2-3 years to get it. Better yet, would be several models that you could order and not have the wait(I would love to get a small trailer model), and then leave the true custom rigs for the longer wait times. Wishful thinking.

What are you seeing in the Lang’s, to state they aren’t what they use to be? They seem like the same Lang as always to me. Just curious. I’ve always loved Lang’s. They cook well, and just seem to work well where it counts.

I hope once Shirley moves into their new shop and things settle in, you could order a sweet custom 24x36 like you got and not wait 2-3 years to get it. Better yet, would be several models that you could order and not have the wait(I would love to get a small trailer model), and then leave the true custom rigs for the longer wait times. Wishful thinking.

What are you seeing in the Lang’s, to state they aren’t what they use to be? They seem like the same Lang as always to me. Just curious. I’ve always loved Lang’s. They cook well, and just seem to work well where it counts.
The shirley wait should come down just won't know by how much until it does. My 36 model was just a tease of what's to come. Seems like they didn't anticipate how much interest there would be in custom 24x36 models if the wait was weeks instead of years. The emails having been a little overwhelming.

I just read some newer owners saying that the fit and finish isn't like years ago. I've never seen one in person. I guess I've been spoiled by owning some really well built cookers. I am becoming a little snobbish. :heh:

I feel like I have a decent amount of experience across different "brands" if you will. As much as I enjoy reading Franklin's books, for what his smoker is it seems overpriced. Jambo, is well, Jambo. I don't consider Lonestar Grillz a true custom builder after talking to many others and owning quite a few different brand of pits.

I think the first thing you have to decide if reverse vs direct. I've owned a couple reverse flows, Evie Mae's and a Shirley. I've made my way back to direct flow and enjoy it. That's what my new build will be again also.

I'd add Backline Smokers, Ryan is a totally custom builder and he's a master fabricator that comes up with unique ideas for every build. He's in a couple restaurants now too. I've seen a lot of cool things come out of Big Phil's smokers in Texas, and as another poster mentioned I follow KC Smoker Co. Not sure of any experience though. Heck, of all the smokers I own Backline is my only repeat build.

Summary for a rambling post, reverse flow I'd go shirley if you think the 24x36 will suit your needs. Direct flow I'd go Backline, Jambo, Big Phil's, probably a couple others I'm leaving out.

From someone who owns a Lang.

Only a few really important questions.

1. do you care or prefer direct flow vs reverse flow.
2. Was the cooker built according to feldons calculators meaning it will draw well.
3. What’s your budget?

4. Everything else is preference and features.

My Lang has some rough welds. It’s a traditional door design. I prefer the access to the slide out racks from a Shirley design. The firebox door handle is a poor design and it broke off. I use a pair of channel locks now and will one day decide to weld it.

I’d put the food that come off it against any smoker in the world. It just works. They all do.

Wood-Fire-Smoke-Meat. The rest is the cook. Has been since the Stone Age. Campfire. Brick pit. Charcoal. Wood. Gas. Franklin. Moe. Myron.

My messy welded Lang.

Last edited:
From someone who owns a Lang.

Only a few really important questions.

1. do you care or prefer direct flow vs reverse flow.
2. Was the cooker built according to feldons calculators meaning it will draw well.
3. What’s your budget?

4. Everything else is preference and features.

My Lang has some rough welds. It’s a traditional door design. I prefer the access to the slide out racks from a Shirley design. The firebox door handle is a poor design and it broke off. I use a pair of channel locks now and will one day decide to weld it.

I’d put the food that come off it against any smoker in the world. It just works. They all do.

Wood-Fire-Smoke-Meat. The rest is the cook. Has been since the Stone Age. Campfire. Brick pit. Charcoal. Wood. Gas. Franklin. Moe. Myron.

My messy welded Lang.
Perfectly stated! They all cook great.

So I sent in a check yesterday for a Shirley 24x36 with stainless shelf. Might upgrade to a larger custom Shirley down the road, but the wait is 30+ months right now, and I can get this one delivered in 4-8 weeks. And who knows, maybe this meets all my needs. Thanks for the feedback – Shirley was not even my radar until I posted here.

So I sent in a check yesterday for a Shirley 24x36 with stainless shelf. Might upgrade to a larger custom Shirley down the road, but the wait is 30+ months right now, and I can get this one delivered in 4-8 weeks. And who knows, maybe this meets all my needs. Thanks for the feedback – Shirley was not even my radar until I posted here.

Cool. Can’t go wrong with a Shirley. The 24x36 is surprisingly roomy.

Back