Ordered my LSG Offset Cabinet today!

500lbman

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Todd
Hey y'all,

Today I ordered a Lone Star Grillz 24x36 Offset Cabinet with the 1/2" steel upgrade to the firebox and a few other extras. It's the horizontal cabinet with 3 24x32 food grates inside. I knew I wanted a cabinet for the extra space you get in a small footprint. Chris said it'll be about 14 weeks until I get it! UGH! Long time to wait but it is what it is. I'll have it by summer/swimming season.

Would love to hear from any owners of a LSG offset cabinet smoker. How do they hold temp side to side and top to bottom? LSG products look to be first rate.

Congrats on your purchase.... 14 weeks is nothing compared to lead times on offset pipe smokers. Gives you plenty of time to add more options.

Congratulations and welcome to the LSG family. If you are tall I recommend getting the upgraded casters they raise the height of the cooking grates. The cabinet doors are sweet as my my wife can barely lift my HOS door and we are not getting any younger.

Would love to hear from any owners of a LSG offset cabinet smoker. How do they hold temp side to side and top to bottom? LSG products look to be first rate.

I doubt there are many out there in the wild since it was only introduced last month. You're probably getting one of the first ones. Congratulations and welcome to the LSG family. You're going to love the build quality and attention to detail. I doubt you will have any issue holding consistent temperatures.

I doubt there are many out there in the wild since it was only introduced last month. You're probably getting one of the first ones. Congratulations and welcome to the LSG family. You're going to love the build quality and attention to detail. I doubt you will have any issue holding consistent temperatures.

EDIT: Woops, I was wrong Similar, but not quite the same. Ignore the below...

Umm... That's not true. I had one two years ago. They just renamed it on their site. Used to be called a Vertical Offset, now they call it an Offset Cabinet Smoker. Same beast.

As mentioned above, there are a couple members who have one of these. Sako (SSV3) has many posts on his and was one of the people that helped me when I was ordering mine. Alas, me and stick burning wasn't meant to be, so I sold mine. He would provide you better information.

Last edited:

i was waiting to see if a brethren would get one of these. i think the only difference between the offset cabinet and the offset vertical is the cabinet is wide and short and the vertical is tall and skinny. i would be surprised if they did not work very similar to each other. looking forward to your review. make sure to do the biscuit test.

Congrats!!! I'm loving my new IVS. The temps, for me, are all within 2 or 3 degrees of the thermometer mounted in the door. Set and forget. Very, very nice product. Would definitely buy from these folks again.

Yeah the 14 weeks is gonna be hard, but May will be here in no time!

I like the horizontal cabinet better because I'd rather have very large cooking grates than a bunch of small ones. Looks like there is plenty of room for 6 briskets, or 12 pork butts, or a ton of ribs.

Here are the upgrades I ordered:

-1/2" steel firebox
-8" casters
-folding front shelf
-brass ball valve for the drain
-1 probe port (may add another)
-pull handle

If y'all can think of anything I can't live without please let me know.

Hey y'all,

Today I ordered a Lone Star Grillz 24x36 Offset Cabinet with the 1/2" steel upgrade to the firebox and a few other extras. It's the horizontal cabinet with 3 24x32 food grates inside. I knew I wanted a cabinet for the extra space you get in a small footprint. Chris said it'll be about 14 weeks until I get it! UGH! Long time to wait but it is what it is. I'll have it by summer/swimming season.

Congrats, they look like great cookers!

If y'all can think of anything I can't live without please let me know.

I would recommend upgrading the folding shelf to a stainless steel one. I know it's pricey but you've come this far and it will be a lot easier to keep clean. Wrapping the standard shelf with foil before each cook is a PITA and if you don't, it will get funky over time. Plus, it looks great. No matter which shelf you go with though, I'd ask Chris to add a couple inches of depth to it and make it 12" instead of 10". He'll usually do that for no charge. Also, for $10, I'd add a stainless steel cool-touch handle to the smoke stack handle for a more finished and consistent look. As far as the 1/2" firebox goes, I think that could be overkill based on the fact you live in Texas. You will never save enough in sticks to pay for that upgrade and it would be a good source of funds for the upgraded shelf. I've cooked in 5° weather in Michigan and I was putting one split on the fire every 45 minutes or so just like normal.

Last edited:
JokerBroker makes some great points. I have the stainless steel cool handles on my two stack handles.... besides working well, they look great. I went with an insulated firebox mainly due to small grandchildren being around. Also keeps the paint on the exterior of the firebox. I agree the 1/2 really will not do much. I had originally ordered the stainless steel shelf but then changed my mind and put the money into the insulated firebox. It takes about 30 seconds to put foil on the shelf and perhaps 10 seconds to remove it...the shelf still looks like new.

The 8"casters are also a good option even if you are not moving the smoker much. It raises the cooking level to a better height, at least for me.

I hear what y'all are saying about the 1/2" box. I thought it was a good idea because of how hard a time I've had in cold weather. Yeah, in Texas a cold day is 30-40 degrees, but that makes a big difference when you are tending a fire. Plus, the cook top is really appealing to me, especially with a 1/2" thick steel cooking surface. Insulated box would be great too. I asked Chris about the 1/2" box and he gave me the impression it'll make a big difference. I'll have to think on it...

I hear what y'all are saying about the 1/2" box. I thought it was a good idea because of how hard a time I've had in cold weather. Yeah, in Texas a cold day is 30-40 degrees, but that makes a big difference when you are tending a fire. Plus, the cook top is really appealing to me, especially with a 1/2" thick steel cooking surface. Insulated box would be great too. I asked Chris about the 1/2" box and he gave me the impression it'll make a big difference. I'll have to think on it...

I have a grill top on my offset firebox (Klose horizontal). I would personally would skip it next time. They are small, and kinda useless, no indirect ability, and just another maintenance point. I included it thinking I would use it to set my charcoal chimney on it. But I don't even use it for that.

I have a grill top on my offset firebox (Klose horizontal). I would personally would skip it next time. They are small, and kinda useless, no indirect ability, and just another maintenance point. I included it thinking I would use it to set my charcoal chimney on it. But I don't even use it for that.
I had an offset with a grill top. Used it once in 10 years

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back