THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always Smokey- You aint kiddin!!!! I wouldn't say leaning towards though. I think out of laziness I would get the PBC over the UDS kit.

Smoke Ninja- I've been reluctant on the Kettle due to the smoking capabilities. I really can't see how it's possible to do a 4-5 hour (or longer) cook on a kettle. Will it stay at 225 that long? How do you add water, or fuel without losing all your heat, and smoke?

Kettle can go 8 hrs or so and that's at 275+. I've added fuel/open lid, it's small enough to recover quickly. Never had a problem. Ring of fire keeps things rock solid but I use bricks to divide. I can go indirect on one side and sear on the other.

Brisket on the kettle in sub zero temps, I add a few coals at the end to be safe but it probably would have been fine.

More kettle cooks

1buckie runs a kettle orphanage and can give all sorts of advice.

I'd go for the WSM. I got the 18.5 as my first charcoal smoker. It's almost too easy. I can focus on the meat and the flavor rather than babysitting the fire and temps. No down side so far (about 20 cooks in)

+1 on the 18.5 WSM. I've had mine for almost a year now and love it. You will be putting out great tasting Q in no time. Good luck!

Kettle can go 8 hrs or so and that's at 275+. I've added fuel/open lid, it's small enough to recover quickly. Never had a problem. Ring of fire keeps things rock solid but I use bricks to divide. I can go indirect on one side and sear on the other.

Brisket on the kettle in sub zero temps, I add a few coals at the end to be safe but it probably would have been fine.

More kettle cooks

1buckie runs a kettle orphanage and can give all sorts of advice.
I have cooked for up to twenty people at a time on a regular basis. Two kettles has covered it for me for twenty years. Start with a kettle and learn, you can always go larger.

WSM all the way. I had a ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) it did ok but was hard to control, then i got a Smokin-it #2 which is an electric cabinet smoker, then I bought a Brinkman trail master horizontal offset, then I got a WSM. From there I built a UDS with the Big Poppa Kit. I like the WSM the best, easy to use, easy to maintain, just a great tool. The BPS UDS(Big poppa smoker)would be second favorite, but it's also a chore to maintain at times. So WSM all the way!

Go with the WSM and you will never be disappointed. There is so little learning curve in getting it dialed in, it will hold temps extremely well, all you have to do it put it together, and you have Weber's stellar customer service to fall back on if there is any kind of problem (which is very rare).

^^^ What he said. ^^^

I too have a Weber gasser and it is great for steaks and burgers etc.

Good Luck! :thumb:

I agree with the WSM. I upgraded from an old weber kettle to it years ago and love this thing. Once it's seasoned, it's set it and forget it. At the end of a cook I'll even take off the top and middle, toss the grate above the coals and grill up some steak and veggies too. $299 + free shipping with amazon prime for a well built, proven smoker from one of the most reputable companies in the world. Plus, if you want a weber kettle, they're all over craigslist for good prices.

I'd go with the WSM as well. I'd go for the bigger one though. The 18" is a little limiting.

I would only go with the 22 if feeding alot of people. The 22 wsm uses a ton more fuel. The 18 can handle 2 briskets, or 4 butts, or 4 racks of ribs (without rib racks, probably 8 with), or 4 whole chickens. harry soo, a bbq tv personality, has done whole 4 category kcbs comps in a single 18.

The 18 is within OPs budget, the 22 is not.

This right here is your answer:
WSM all the way. I had a ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) it did ok but was hard to control, then i got a Smokin-it #2 which is an electric cabinet smoker, then I bought a Brinkman trail master horizontal offset, then I got a WSM. From there I built a UDS with the Big Poppa Kit. I like the WSM the best, easy to use, easy to maintain, just a great tool. The BPS UDS(Big poppa smoker)would be second favorite, but it's also a chore to maintain at times. So WSM all the way!

Buy the best, only cry once.

You get another vote for WSM here!

It was my first smoker, and on the first cook I put out some really good food.

There is virtually no learning curve...You will be cooking great q on the first cook.

Just get a Kettle. Someone suggested it to me when I first got into bbq and I thought it was kind of simple so was dismissive. I was stupid. I have a cheap offset, a electric smoker and an Akorn amongst other cookers but I use one of my Kettles for most smokes or cooks. For someone new to bbq I would suggest the Kettle first then get a WSM in a few months or a year.

Thank you all! I found a Kettle on Craigslist! 22" for $99 (depending on the condition). I'm buying it this weekend!! And.....I still have some cash leftover so now searching for a WSM. I'm going to start with a used. It's cheaper and, well, it's a Weber.
Thank you all for your votes and thoughts! Will be posting pron soon!

I have cooked for up to twenty people at a time on a regular basis. Two kettles has covered it for me for twenty years. Start with a kettle and learn, you can always go larger.

Amen. :clap:

Thank you all! I found a Kettle on Craigslist! 22" for $99 (depending on the condition). I'm buying it this weekend!! And.....I still have some cash leftover so now searching for a WSM. I'm going to start with a used. It's cheaper and, well, it's a Weber.
Here is something to get you started.
Weber Kettle, low-n-slow, let's see your setup
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246
www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png

The kettle vs WSM debate kind of makes me chuckle because you can use the WSM as a kettle/grill a lot easier then using a kettle as a smoker. Both CAN do either, but I feel the WSM is just more versatile for doing both opposed to a kettle. Don't get me wrong, I have 3 kettles. but just saying...

Make sure you know what you are getting. You can get a standard kettle for $99 brand new at lowes/home depot. If it's a one touch gold they run about $150 but still, if it were used I'd offer a little less than $99.

I would either build a UDS or get a 22.5 WSM. I built my UDS for around $200 including the Auber ATC unit (which is not at all necessary). For the price, I dont think it can be beat.

Sometimes you can score a deal on a WSM on craigslist if you keep your eyes peeled.

Back