Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Damn, you going to clone yourself first?

I probably should. But thankfully this time around I've got my two managers with decades of experience to help along the way. The first time I was literally flying blind. Now I've got good help.

I went back to the site today and had a builder come too. He's putting the plans together already and the ball is rolling quickly. The goal is to have the plans set and permits pulled by around the 15th. That's months ahead of schedule compared to the first store.

I'm nervous as can be. I can't sleep, all I can think about is this, and just can't wait to sink my teeth into this place. If this one doesn't kill me, nothing will. :shock:

And just to keep you guys in the loop, here are the very first peeks at the new place. You're the first to get a glimpse.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Very cool, looks like about all you need to add is a big ole commercial smoker and you'll be ready to open the doors.

Very late to this, but why have you not started selling beer/wine? Huge margin on those, seems like a no-brainer as long as your township isn't dry.

Plus, nothing better than some Q and a Shiner.

Very late to this, but why have you not started selling beer/wine? Huge margin on those, seems like a no-brainer as long as your township isn't dry.

He's in Michigan. No reason to waste time on Shiner when he's got New Holland or Bells or Founders or . . . :wink: :mrgreen:

But yeah, beer sells, but does open a whole other can of worms with licenses and maybe insurance liabilities?

Stopped by Saturday afternoon, about 1:30, place was about half full. Order the three meat platter, brisket, sausage, pulled pork, two sides, corn bread and pickles. The brisket was moist and tender, good bark and nice smoke ring, well balanced. The sausage had good smoked, moist, and the casing had a good snap. The sausage was good by it's self, or add another dimension with the mustard sauce. Pull pork was tender, good bark and nice smoke ring. Tried out the sauces on this. They had a bourbon sauce, original, sweet and spicy, Carolina vinegar sauce, and a mustard sauce. All of the sauces each brought their own character to the pork, but I was partial to the sweet and spicy.

For sides, I choose the mac and cheese, and cole slaw. The cole slaw was fresh and crunchy. The sauce was smooth, a little tang, with a little sweet, well balanced. The mac and cheese was excellent. The macaroni cooked properly, the cheese sauce was nice and creamy. The bacon chunks and crunchy topping completed the experience.

The cornbread was fresh, warm and sweet. Very nice.

On the corner of the platter there were three pickle slices, only one word to describe them. Vaunted!!!!!!!!

Overall a great experience. I heard a lot of positive comments in the dining room as people enjoyed their lunch. The staff was quick and efficient. From a single order to a 6 top seating, they were quick.

Keep up the good work, and good luck with the place in Mishawaka. We'll have to stop by when you open.

Here in Michigan, there are only so many licenses available based on your location. In most cases, there are no new licenses available and your only option is to privately buy an existing unused license from someone who has one. The market price on those can easily top $50,000.

There was one available, but I passed on it due to the cost. Plus the current location is small, doesn't have a waitstaff, and offering alcohol would be a whole new can of worms as someone mentioned.

At the new place though it will be different and I will be applying for a beer license at some point after opening. Fingers crossed there.

Stopped by Saturday afternoon...

Thanks for stopping in. Sorry I missed you, I was in Chicago this weekend. Thanks for the detailed review and I'm glad you had a good experience. Hopefully I can catch you the next time you're in.

Just read this from beginning to the end.. Boy is my wife upset, but I just couldn't stop reading. All I can say is amazing and thank you for keeping everyone so involved. Good luck l!! I can't wait to make a road trip.

2dv7d6w.jpg

It finally feels official. Got the keys to the new place today. A great feeling, but also overwhelming.

And I'd be lying if I said things have gone smoothly this time around. It's been a difficult few weeks. The bank backed out of funding at the last minute so I was forced to scramble to try to find the funds. Even when I did, that process took a lot longer than planned, and didn't get enough that was needed.

The builder who was planning on doing the work for the space also backed out last minute citing being too busy right now, so I'm back to square one trying to find a suitable builder on short notice. I hope this isn't a repeat of the first time.

It's always something. But they say nothing worth doing is ever easy, right? I hope that holds true this time around as well.

I'll provide more updates along the way as more gets accomplished.

Friggan contractors. Man, sometimes you wanna pull your hair out dealing with them. Banks, they're a whole story on their own...

Good luck!

Back