THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I completely understand the issue with adding a single menu item. Although you make a lot of great points to be sure. My friend who is opening up the kitchen at the coffee shop was asked to start a hot breakfast service, and given 6 days to get it done. I ended up telling the owner that it was impossible when she came and asked me to talk to him. I told her that one week was impossible, and that was if she immediately hired at least two more people. She wasn't happy, but, she just doesn't understand how food works.

As for complaints, yeah, some weeks really suck, on really bad day of complaints can sour an entire week.

also, at 16, I ran a deep fryer, and not one of those fancy fry-o-laters either. Two large pots of oil on a stove.

Did you know that you can 'accidentally' deep fry a ribeye?

also, at 16, I ran a deep fryer, and not one of those fancy fry-o-laters either. Two large pots of oil on a stove.

Did you know that you can 'accidentally' deep fry a ribeye?
I also ran a fryer at 16. I support you in not wanting to risk it. 44 years, and I still have some scars from splatters. Never did a ribeye, but did do hot dogs and hamburger patties on request.

Re French Fries: Yes, adding a fryer is a chore, they are messy, steam up the confined space, and are a burn hazard. It may be regional, but I have never been in a BBQ only joint that served fries. Plus fries are hard to keep fresh and ready for any period of time, so they must be made frequently and I suspect that waste would climb.

Re the beans: Being from Texas, the beans served with BBQ are pinto beans with spice added, usually chili powder. The sweet and sticky Bush baked beans are used for things like Easter or Christmas hams.

Part of the process is people adapting to your menu. We may have different expectations, but once we learn what a particular establishment serves, we adapt our orders to the items of our liking. When surprise turns to expectation many complaints go away.

I can see him not wanting fries if he doesn't have a fryer. Talk about a messy endeavor, and he's doing alright without it anyway . . .:mrgreen:

I went and read Yelp.com on your store and it seems you're getting rave reviews for the most part. I will say I do see a common complaint about the beans. But other than that it appears you're keeping your customers very happy and returning. You can't make everybody happy.

My daughter is a picky eater and last week we went to a new local chain (Mission BBQ -- delicious brisky, btw) and couldn't find fries on the menu. She was a tad peeved. But i have to say, I was a fry cook at a Bonanza in Columbia, MO., in college for a time and it's a nasty, messy job. We used two fryers for exactly three menu items: french fries, some kind of fish-like substance called "scrod", and chicken nuggets on the kids' menu. While french fries were a big seller (we also served baked potatoes), the other two entree items probably didn't sell enough combined to pay for the oil.

A fryer requires at least a dedicated half-person person per shift, if not a whole person. The fryer at Bonanza also was responsible for grilling Texas Toast on the flattop. I had an illustrious career there grilling toast. But you need someone minding the fryer all the time.

Having a fryer is not for the faint of heart. Unless your customers are demanding it, I think you've got plenty of strong arguments against it right here. And once you start frying -- you can never go back.

It would likely be a pain in the " Dupa" but, I just imagined a big boat of brisket chili fries, covered in creamy cheese sauce. I'm guessing the beans complainers would be quiet. It sounds amazing to me, you could Cobb some cheese sauce from your Mac and cheese.

The pickle recipe is awesome. I am going to make my second batch today. I do have a question. I know these are made for putting right in the fridge but has anyone canned these so you can have later? I wanted to make a bunch while the cucumbers are still in season up here in the Midwest but don't have that much room in my fridge.

I am curious about this as well. :)

My daughter is a picky eater and last week we went to a new local chain (Mission BBQ -- delicious brisky, btw) and couldn't find fries on the menu. She was a tad peeved. But i have to say, I was a fry cook at a Bonanza in Columbia, MO., in college for a time and it's a nasty, messy job. We used two fryers for exactly three menu items: french fries, some kind of fish-like substance called "scrod", and chicken nuggets on the kids' menu. While french fries were a big seller (we also served baked potatoes), the other two entree items probably didn't sell enough combined to pay for the oil.

A fryer requires at least a dedicated half-person person per shift, if not a whole person. The fryer at Bonanza also was responsible for grilling Texas Toast on the flattop. I had an illustrious career there grilling toast. But you need someone minding the fryer all the time.

Having a fryer is not for the faint of heart. Unless your customers are demanding it, I think you've got plenty of strong arguments against it right here. And once you start frying -- you can never go back.

Hehehe... Said scrod. Not sure if it's a Maine or New England term and have not seen it at the fish market in 25+ years. It is the cheap white fish of the day or a mix of the bunch.

I am curious about this as well. :)

I canned several jars and packed them. I'll open one tonight and see how they have done. I am not expecting as crisp a pickle as the refrigerator variety, but when you have a ton of cukes that need processed, you do what you have to.

My 8 month old daughter loves these things btw. :thumb:

sorry to beat a dead horse. But if the fire marshall will let you put one in, a deep fryer is one of the biggest profit generators in a restaurant. We go through cases of french fries a weekend in our store, amongst other things like fried pickles and onion rings. It's a win win for everyone, you're not dumbing down your bbq.

I confess that I did not go back and read the whole "french fry" history, but I'll throw in a few comments:

Down here it is VERY common to serve fries with BBQ.

I can understand not wanting to deal with the mess. I have a little table-top fryer for my kitchen and it's a pain using it (it makes a mess, it's not easy to clean, and you have the used oil to deal with.)

Here is a suggestion: serve potato chips. Not the same as hot, crispy fries - but it'll do in a pinch. Some people (like me :becky:) want something crispy with our meal.

That would be true if one of those meats were the only ones cooking at a time. But when cooking butts, they are too large to use all three racks on a single level, meaning you loose a whole rack. If the butts were small, as in 8lb and down, you can fit 6 butts per rack, so with 2 useable racks per level, and 4 levels, you'd get 48 total.

In my setup I'm using 12# and up brisket and 10# and up butts. So with having to remove 4 total racks as described above, that just barely allows for one brisket and one butt per rack.

I know this is from June, (have been reading the whole story) but a question. Would you not come out ahead using a smaller butt and getting more in the smoker? I would guess you might up the total weight that way?

Back