One problem solved…

Jeremy if your house consumes that much bacon in a week, I would definitely consider you to be a bacon expert. Have you discovered any bacon you would consider superior to others? Is bacon expensive out in Oklahoma?

This is the every day bacon I “deep fry” it has the fat, cholesterol, and nitrates I’m after, so it does the job. About $4 a pound…

This is what we call “Sunday morning bacon.” Wrights is the best store bought bacon I’ve found. Generally around $8 a pound but sams has it on sale for around $5 a pound right now. It fry’s up beautifully (not deep fried) at like 325° outside in the electric skillet.

I just love cooking bacon, 6 strips at a time, in my square cast iron pan. It's a food that deserves to be cooked with love. No matter how long it takes.

But obviously, that's just me.

This is what we call “Sunday morning bacon.” Wrights is the best store bought bacon I’ve found. Generally around $8 a pound but sams has it on sale for around $5 a pound right now. It fry’s up beautifully (not deep fried) at like 325° outside in the electric skillet.

I agree, Wright's is the best widely available bacon. Tyson bought Wright's and for a while Tyson's and Kroger's was about as good too. Might still be but no more bacon than I'm eating these days I just grab Wright's Or Petit Jean. Petit Jean is a good or better than Wright's but only available regionally.

Braum's looks good viewed on the 'net but it's a long way for me to go to look at some in person for a better decision.

I usually cook it in the oven at about 375F. These days I cook it in a pan on a rack but have also done it in just the pan in it's own grease. Both ways have an advantage and are great.

I prefer brands that are super thin sliced. For some reason thick bacon gets really hard like plastic when reheated in the microwave.

4 lbs is a no go.

It’s too deep in the pot so stirring while frying it breaks it up too bad, lots of little pieces, but never fear it will not go to waste:bow:

A man must know his limits

Thanks for the note on Wright's bacon. I have seen it many times in the store but have never pulled the trigger. That may have to change in the near future.

Crown Candy Kitchen in North St. Louis cooks their bacon that way.
They go through a couple hundred pounds on a weekend day.
It was opened in 1913 and has awesome milkshakes.
They have an hour's wait usually. Why?
Because this is their BLT.
stlouisstandards-02.jpg

Now if they would also put tomato and mayo under that heap of bacon it would be perfect.

Thanks for the note on Wright's bacon. I have seen it many times in the store but have never pulled the trigger. That may have to change in the near future.

Wright's bacon(and Petit Jean) is so good that if more people tried it there could well be less people making their own bacon.

We do like Wright's Ends and Pieces. Our preferred strip bacon in Hormal Black Label - just the regular. If someone offered me a BLT and would hold the L & T I'd be all over it. :thumb:

I seem to be in a minority, but I prefer a kind of jerky texture to my bacon as opposed to crunchy. I cook all kinds of ways but prefer in a large skillet, low and slow. Once the fat starts to sizzle I move it right to left from a pile, making each piece just right and moving to paper towels to drain. Love having a bag of it on hand for sammys, salads, burgers, and so on. As for Wrights, have a 1.5# pack in the freezer as a gift, looking forward to cooking it! Also, I like to deep fry it, but only when the oil is almost ready to change so I don't waste a fresh batch.

I grabbed a pack of Wrights at Sams yesterday, because of this post. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend!

We've actually had shockingly good luck with the Walmart brand of bacon, and its generally pretty reasonably priced.

We do like Wright's Ends and Pieces. Our preferred strip bacon in Hormal Black Label - just the regular. If someone offered me a BLT and would hold the L & T I'd be all over it. :thumb:

The above in the bold was my go to for cooking in green beans, greens, brown beans etc. Walmart replaced it with their Great Value brand and it just isn't the same. Still use it though. The GV slices are not bad either, but I have been trying to buy the 10 lb box at Sam's. I cannot recall a brand, just a generic white box with black lettering. Most of the slices are pretty thin which is great for ABT's.

Back