One problem solved…

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
We eat a LOT of bacon around here, 8 to 10 lbs on a good week and frying it has always been a chore. So I took to the World Wide Web looking for alternatives.

FOUND ONE!

This is 2 lbs at once. Cut strips in half and put it in a stock pot on medium low heat. Stirring every few minutes

Starting to get a little color, and steaming as the water boils out.

Water is just about gone and the fat is starting to render.

All the water is gone and now it is basically deep frying in its own fat.

GLORIOUS!!!

Once cooled the fat is ready to take out and restock!

Just passing the tip along. I’m going to try 4 lbs at once in a couple of days and see how that goes!

"We eat a LOT of bacon around here, 8 to 10 lbs on a good week"

That's a lotta bacon. My cardiologist would have a heart attack if we ate that much!
But i love it and eat as much as allowed by my diet. And it's just me and Mrs. Lobo 99.9% of the time.

That's really neat. Wonder if you could do it with the lid on it so that the house isn't coated in a layer of grease.

We eat quite a lot of bacon too, while on a very low-carb, Keto diet. I will have to ask the chef if this is something she would like to try. But how did you get the fat out? Maybe one person holds the bacon in the pot with a spoon while the other pours it out, or did you use a ladle or a combination of both?

Remember loco, salt and fat are not your enemy, sugar of all forms are! But do your own homework!

I do it with the lid on (actually cracked about a half inch) and there is nearly ZERO mess, and no smoking up the house! We have cooked a ton of bacon outside for years because of the mess, but nearly zero mess inside this way.

Give it go sometime!

I will be doing another 4 lbs Thursday or Friday, I’ll report back

I think you have the exact bacon drippins' strainer I grew up with. Somehow it ended up out of my hands after mom & dad passed. Sure would like to have it...

Naaaa, just fish it out with a slotted spoon David.

I bet you would Kevin! I remember a set just like this one on my Great Grandmothers counter. When I started looking for one several years ago and it was hard to find, could find all of the others except the “GREASE” Only thing we could figure is the rest of the canisters were easy to clean out and re-sell and the grease got thrown away.

That's really neat. Wonder if you could do it with the lid on it so that the house isn't coated in a layer of grease.

If you have a turkey fryer you can cook it outside and avoid cooking inside the house. I cook most of mine in the oven.

Sam's club has a 10 lb box of bacon currently priced at $33. The price fluctuates from as low as $30 to as high as $50. Really good quality bacon but the strips are on the thin side.

Crown Candy Kitchen in North St. Louis cooks their bacon that way.
They go through a couple hundred pounds on a weekend day.
It was opened in 1913 and has awesome milkshakes.
They have an hour's wait usually. Why?
Because this is their BLT.
stlouisstandards-02.jpg

I bake a whole pound of bacon in the oven on parchment sheets on a cookie sheet. Perfectly cooked slightly chewy flat bacon strips that i wrap in paper towels and put in a gallon freezer bag and keep in the fridge and save the bacon tallow in a coffee can.

I like slighly chewy because i can pull a few strips out and put on a paper plate in the microwave for 15 seconds and its perfect bacon every time.

Yeah, I do the oven method for anytime I want strips.

I did 2 pounds of bacon lardons the other night, same method as you in my larger staub. Man, the cleanup on the bottom was annoying. But, still nice to pay very minimal attention and just stir on occasion.

Yeah, I do the oven method for anytime I want strips.

I did 2 pounds of bacon lardons the other night, same method as you in my larger staub. Man, the cleanup on the bottom was annoying. But, still nice to pay very minimal attention and just stir on occasion.

If you drain into a mason jar right way, the cleanup is minimal. Especially if you use parchment sheets. I rotate the cookie sheet half way through baking, but why would you need to stir? I used to use a rack, but i had to flip the bacon strips with that method, so now with the parchment sheets they fry in their own bacon grease. No need to flip.

If you drain into a mason jar right way, the cleanup is minimal. Especially if you use parchment sheets. I rotate the cookie sheet half way through baking, but why would you need to stir? I used to use a rack, but i had to flip the bacon strips with that method, so now with the parchment sheets they fry in their own bacon grease. No need to flip.

Sorry. I was commenting to both you, and to 4ever. I oven bake strips. I use foil so it contains the grease, but works the same otherwise. Cleanup is a breeze, house never smells like stale bacon, very evenly cooked bacon. It's the best.

But for lardons, I use the stovetop. The bottom of the pot just always takes a few soak rounds to get clean.

But for lardons, I use the stovetop. The bottom of the pot just always takes a few soak rounds to get clean.

After wiping out all you can with a paper towel, put about an inch of water in the pot and boil it. Once it has cooled off take a spatula and scrape the bottom, it just peels off, then wash.

Give that a try

I like the cooking method. I am impressed on how much bacon you consume in a week. Thats a lot of bacon. Kind of a hear attack waiting to happen

Back