Name or Nickame
Dom
For the "On a Roll" throwdown - a Cubano Sandwich

First up, this morning. Make dough for Cuban Bread -

ulNZHwY.jpg

4UDHuQP.jpg

Let it rise in a greased bowl for a while -

xj7M4CQ.jpg

and form two loaves. Let those rise again and score before going into the oven -

EWxUGn3.jpg

Voila! We have Cuban Bread -

wYpBkep.jpg

The BBQ component of this entry is a Pork Roast which is seasoned with Oakridge Secret Weapon and grilled indirect on the 18" Weber -

OllMhTQ.jpg

The thin fat cap was left intact and scored to look pretty. After an hour it's done -

zowFHX6.jpg

After the bread and the pork cooled a bit, let's get to building Cubano Sandwiches! Not authentic, but that's not the point of these. As long as they taste good, that's all that matters.

Slice me up some pork -

wAWfvZj.jpg

Mustard on one side, Mayo on the other. Layer Ham, Salami, Pork Slices, Swiss cheese, Pickles and Tomato on mine. My wife did her own thing, equally as impressive -

n7L7LRW.jpg

59tdKE5.jpg

robq0kL.jpg

Dinner is served -

MRZVrsY.jpg

QWuCSfB.jpg

CaOXxXh.jpg

65ehXsy.jpg

All in all, this was one excellent sandwich! And there was no way I could eat both halves, so there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

The smell of bread baking this afternoon was intoxicating and I did all I could to avoid tearing into it prior to making these Cubanos. :biggrin1: But I resisted.

The pork was perfect and enhanced these to another level.

As mentioned, not authentic. But I don't care. I was simply in the mood for one of these and figured since there's a throwdown in progress, I'd give it a go.

Thanks as always for reading through to the end of this post. One of these pics will serve as the throwdown entry.

Go make yourself a Cubano.

Regards,
-lunchman

Another masterful creation, Dom! I am now in need of one of those beauties, and I will make it happen this week. Thanks for the inspiration (and the anxiety until I do).

Dom,

Great looking sammy. I'm trying to lose weight (although not as successful as I want, just a slow process rather than crash dieting) and all of these throwdowns are killing my will power. Like others, I've never had one, but think I need one in my life.

I've never had one but now I want one.

Too bad I can't make bread.

Craig, I can't make bread either, or have never attempted to make it. I'm thinking a good ciabatta bun (although check the carbs :shock::!::!::!: if you are watching those) would suffice for a good Cuban.

Thanks,

Robert

I’d be all over that sandwich,,,,,
When ur baking/ cooking the aroma in your neighborhood must be intoxicating !!!!

You bread making guys and gals are way above my pay grade. Me and dough have never gotten along very well.

Awesome sammich Dom! And i hear you on the smell. I think the smell of fresh bread baking is probably better than meat smoking.

Back