Old Country Pecos vs Wrangler vs OKjoe Highlander vs Longhorn

I picked up a Highland recently for $139 at Wally World. I assembled it but decided to get some food grade RTV and gasket material before using it. I decided to go budget since I will most likely use my drum more. I've got decent fire management skills so it should serve it's purpose well.

You don't need the rtv or gasket material. It's leaky but no big deal. What you need is convection plates. & raise the grate in the firebox. That's it!

Haha... I can see red fire between the top & bottom of the 2 piece fire box once the fire is going. Doesn't seem to matter much. I could weld the 2 parts together... but why bother? It still flows.

Last edited:
I was in academy today and noticed the fit/finish has improved on all the Old Country cookers. I'm digging the over and under and the Flowmaster.

You don't need the rtv or gasket material. It's leaky but no big deal. What you need is convection plates. & raise the grate in the firebox. That's it!

Haha... I can see red fire between the top & bottom of the 2 piece fire box once the fire is going. Doesn't seem to matter much. I could weld the 2 parts together... but why bother? It still flows.

I know but I'm obsessive lol. I have the Longhorn combo and I too can see the fire through the gap in the fire box. Luckily my Longhorn cook chamber door doesn't leak. It's just that its too small. I smoked a couple of pork butts in it Tue and they came out perfect. I figure I can get at least 4 butts on the Highland.

I'm near ready to pull the trigger on an offset. And I can't figure out which one to get. First of all are the Old Country's flat out better than the Oklahoma Joes? I'm making the assumption they are. With that said I think the larger single surface cook area of the Pecos is more attractive to me than the dual surface cooking area of the Wrangler. The Wrangler has better reviews on Academy though. Can anyone else chime in? It should be noted that I'd need Academy to ship the pit to me as well. Whereas I can probably pick up an OK Joe locally.

Save your money buy from a professional pit builder SF,Lang, LS, Close, others Depends on where you Live find a builder when you buy from a big box store you are paying a 30 % + premium to them and for what a duas that can barley tell time to load it on your truck, scratch that to show you were the carts are so you can load it your self.

I know but I'm obsessive lol. I have the Longhorn combo and I too can see the fire through the gap in the fire box. Luckily my Longhorn cook chamber door doesn't leak. It's just that its too small. I smoked a couple of pork butts in it Tue and they came out perfect. I figure I can get at least 4 butts on the Highland.

I'm confused... thought the OKJ Highland was the smaller offset. That's what I have. I think you could get 6 butts on it. 4 for sure. That's A LOT of pulled pork, imho.

I'm confused... thought the OKJ Highland was the smaller offset. That's what I have. I think you could get 6 butts on it. 4 for sure. That's A LOT of pulled pork, imho.

I have the combo. It's the size of a Longhorn but split into a smoker/ gasser. The smoker cook chamber is about 19"x19".

Yeah I'm really interested in the Bandera now. I've always been more interested in a vertical offset vs horizontal, but they just don't make quality ones unless I go custom...and I can't justify spending that much money. Now that the Bandera is back, I think this is a pretty good contender.

My thoughts exactly. Has anybody pulled the trigger on a new Bandera yet?

I am super interested in a Bandera but I want to be able to look at it in person to make sure it isn't flimsy and cheap. However nobody has them in Stock locally.

Back