Oktoberfest vegetarian option, Beyond spicy sausages?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I’m planning my first Oktoberfest since 2019. I usually have about 60 people and about 10 of them are vegetarians.

I’m thinking about making Beyond brand spicy Italian sausages for the vegetarians. These would be served on a fresh baked Italian roll with fried pepper & onions and tomato sauce just like the real Italian sausages I’m serving. Has anyone here ever serve them, and if so, how did it go?

I also found a recipie for homemade veggie sausage using real vegetables that looked good, but I never made any type of sausage before. I say “real vegetables” because the store bought veggie sausages don’t appear to have any real vegetables in them. It’s mostly a binder with a bunch of spices.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Out of those 10 vegetarians, how many don't like spicy food?
Since its Octoberfest, I would do Beer brats instead of spicy italian.

Out of those 10 vegetarians, how many don't like spicy food?
Since its Octoberfest, I would do Beer brats instead of spicy italian.

All of the vegetarians like spicy. In the past i tried serving different veggie burgers and they all wanted the spicy ones.

I’m in an area with a lot of Italian influence. Brats are not a thing here and to be quite honest the first time I ever had one was when traveling to Wisconsin. I tried serving brats after my Wisconsin brat experience and it went over as well as the Bundt cake scene in “My big fat Greek wedding.” I got a lot of “what’s that” , “I’m not eating that”, “tastes funny” etc. Italian sausages is what people eat here. A local town has festivals and I think it hilarious that the only difference between the Italian fest and the Irish fest is the green shirts. Italian food is served at both.

Last edited:
I’m thinking about making Beyond brand spicy Italian sausages for the vegetarians. These would be served on a fresh baked Italian roll with fried pepper & onions and tomato sauce just like the real Italian sausages I’m serving. Has anyone here ever serve them, and if so, how did it go?

a9a7d5e0-e06c-11ea-b9ff-068e9aeedcf4.jpg

Not sausage, but I have received rave reviews from vegetarians for my smoked portobello mushrooms.

If you have access to a Restaurant Depot, you can get a case of them for about $10-$12. I marinate them in Ken's Ginger-Soy salad dressing and smoke them until tender.

Again, not Oktoberfest, but there are never any leftovers.

Not sausage, but I have received rave reviews from vegetarians for my smoked portobello mushrooms.

If you have access to a Restaurant Depot, you can get a case of them for about $10-$12. I marinate them in Ken's Ginger-Soy salad dressing and smoke them until tender.

Again, not Oktoberfest, but there are never any leftovers.

Thanks for the recipe!

I haven’t made portobellos in a long time.

Water and pretzels! :p

Seriously though, are they the kind of vegetarians who eat cheese or fish or anything? There's gobs of recipes of the cheese persuasion.

Beer?

I’m planning my first Oktoberfest since 2019. I usually have about 60 people and about 10 of them are vegetarians.

I also found a recipie for homemade veggie sausage using real vegetables that looked good, but I never made any type of sausage before. I say “real vegetables” because the store bought veggie sausages don’t appear to have any real vegetables in them. It’s mostly a binder with a bunch of spices.

Thanks!

My first thought was that the main ingredient at an Oktoberfest party is BEER!!

And as far as I know, it is 100% vegetarian.

Problem solved!!

;)

Back