THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
I'm wanting to replace my Masterbuilt Kingsford Offset with a Oklahoma Joe's reverse flow. Or get a 18" Kamado Joe. Does anyone have experience with either? Are either any good?

Thanks
Jason

Two entirely different cookers for entirely different things - The KJ is a higher end ceramic and is a top quality product, while the OKJ is a lower end stick burner made of thin metal, not that you can't get great results with it.

I've had 2 ceramics, and find they are versatile in that you can grill, smoke, and bake on them, but are lackluster in terms of performance as smokers, at least in comparison to an offset, which offers unparalleled wood smoke flavor if you're using properly seasoned wood. Also, an 18inch KJ won't give you much surface area, especially compared to the OKJ.

What are you planning on cooking on your new acquisition?

cookers

That's part of the issue. I have several cookers already. I don't have a ceramic though. I have a Masterbuilt offset that works, but I'd like something nicer. I have a 22" weber gold and a UDS I built. If I got a KJ it would be the 18" which I'm worried isn't big enough.

Jason

I use a KJ classic. It's extremely versatile. A few chunks of wood in with the lump gives us all the smoke we need on a piece of meat. I'm just cooking for the wife and I so space isn't an issue. It fits 2 racks of ribs laying down and 4 with a rack. A 15lb brisket might need the center portion lifted on a rack to fit on the frill for the first part of the cook. My smoker lives outside my garage door year round and doesn't get moved. I can do an overnight cook at -20C with no issues. Once the smoker settles down it holds temp great.

Been using the OKJ (not reverse flow) for a few years now and am perfectly happy with it. I don't think you can beat it for the money.

That's part of the issue. I have several cookers already. I don't have a ceramic though. I have a Masterbuilt offset that works, but I'd like something nicer. I have a 22" weber gold and a UDS I built. If I got a KJ it would be the 18" which I'm worried isn't big enough.

Jason

Since you have a Weber OTG, there's really not anything you can't do with it, especially if you have a Vortex and Slow and Sear. These accessories really take kettle cooking to a whole new level. At that point, the KJ would be redundant, IMO. After getting my OKJ Highland, my ceramics(BGE small and Vision Kamado) never got used, so I sold them, and never looked back.

I would not kick either one out of my bed for eating crackers -but they are really 2 totally different critters. Cheap offset vs ceramic (premium?) cooker.
Both have plusses and minuses - but they are not really interchangeable.

Ill provide my input and maybe it helps

I have an OkJ setup reverse flow. For entry level and cost its prob one of best offset out there and can run very well with a few mods. Offset def best at smoke profile

I have also had pleasure of using various komodo. I had a BGE for about 2 weeks when I was competing and sold it because I believe it is inferior to others. I used a friends kamado Joe and works very well. I am fortunate to have a komodo kamado which is at highest end of komodo cookers. Komodos are very versatile and can do pretty much everything. One thing they do lack is ability to create great bark like an offset and sometimes lake smoke flavor. I still won awards in competition but never received a call with a brisket off a Komodo. All other meats I have. I always use mine for grilling and pizzas. If I am to smoke anything I always use offset now. When I didnt have the offset and wanted to smoke something I would use my pitmaker vault.

With all that being said if I had no grill and I cooked for 6ppl or less I would buy a Komodo ( not a sh*tGE)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill provide my input and maybe it helps

I have an OkJ setup reverse flow. For entry level and cost its prob one of best offset out there and can run very well with a few mods. Offset def best at smoke profile

I have also had pleasure of using various komodo. I had a BGE for about 2 weeks when I was competing and sold it because I believe it is inferior to others. I used a friends kamado Joe and works very well. I am fortunate to have a komodo kamado which is at highest end of komodo cookers. Komodos are very versatile and can do pretty much everything. One thing they do lack is ability to create great bark like an offset and sometimes lake smoke flavor. I still won awards in competition but never received a call with a brisket off a Komodo. All other meats I have. I always use mine for grilling and pizzas. If I am to smoke anything I always use offset now. When I didnt have the offset and wanted to smoke something I would use my pitmaker vault.

With all that being said if I had no grill and I cooked for 6ppl or less I would buy a Komodo ( not a sh*tGE)

I’m curious, what are the difference between the BGE and KJ or others that make it inferior and/or sh*t. I assumed all ceramics cooked similarly? Thanks.

I’m curious, what are the difference between the BGE and KJ or others that make it inferior and/or sh*t. I assumed all ceramics cooked similarly? Thanks.

At the time which was around 2015-2016 they used a thinner wall and a mix of ceramic and other materials for shell which didnt provide adequate strength. I was at a competition that had a steak throwdown and I watched an egg crack from high heat during cook. About year later there was a reputable team next to mine at a kcbs event and they used all BGE. During offload one fell off trailer ramp and broke on ground. I heard him say “thats what you get with a grill made of sh*tty material. Good thing we get them for free.” metal bands and cart were not the best quality either

To give some context how I came about my Komodo Kamado is an interesting story and is posted on KK forum. Essentially an angry wife took a sledge hammer to it in a lot of places mainly the lid. There were zero cracks in the ceramic throughout entire cooker and my repairs were only to tiles, handles, and coquina layer

BGE may have made improvements since then but I have not seen one up close to verify.

Back