Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub, first impression.

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Tim
Picked up a pack from my local supplier, Bart's Blazin' Q, and I can't say that I love it. Perhaps I didn't read enough of the reviews, I had no idea it wold be SO coffee forward. I might be wrong, but I have yet to visit a steakhouse that uses this flavor profile, it tastes completely void of salt. I plan to give it a shot, hopefully it comes together better when cooked...I really had high hopes for this one.

I do utilize another coffee rub (Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express), and I like it. I pair it with Santa Maria seasoning, so it's balanced.

It is low in salt, I think to allow people to use the salt level that they prefer. I for one am glad, I hate paying good money for a rub that's mostly salt, the cheapest possible ingredient.

What did you try it on? How did you use it? I usually follow the EVOO, heavy application of CC, rest for 30-60 minutes, then a thorough high heat compete sear. I've never been even remotely overwhelmed by the coffee flavor when I follow those directions. You might have way better working taste buds than me though!

All I can say is either (1) try a ribeye on super hot sear or (2) try a brisket. Either seems to bring out the "taste", for me I get more of the ****ake mushroom than the coffee.

When it's cooked on the steak it is completely different in flavor. My wife hates coffee but she cannot taste it on a high temperature crusted steak. I think the Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub is awesome.

I have it..>I like it...don't love it. I bought a huge bag, and dont cook steak too much, so it might be around a while.

When it's cooked on the steak it is completely different in flavor. My wife hates coffee but she cannot taste it on a high temperature crusted steak. I think the Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub is awesome.

I'm with madman here. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it but I gave it a shot anyways, The flavor you receive after a nice hot sear is totally different from the raw rub. I went to a steak house a few nights ago, first steak I've ate at a restaurant for a long time. I've easily ate more than 10 ribeye steaks with Carne Crosta since the last time I went to my favorite steak house.

I've had a lot of experience with Carne crosta, and every time I took a bite out of my favorite steak house steak a few nights ago I was wishing it had Carne Crosta on it. The coffee helps produce a really good crust. It has a very unique flavor when cooked at a high sear. Nothing like you would think coffee tastes like cooked.

Dry brine the steak with kosher salt for a couple pf hours. Then put on the rub.... then sear at high heat for a minute or two followed by an indirect cook to 125* or whatever you like. You will love it.

I use a one of my Baking Steels to sear it for about a minute + at 550*. I remove the Steel and drop the temp of my MiniMax Egg to 300-400* and cook indirectly until 125*. Mmmmmm Add a Zin and I am in heaven! Of course, it helps to use a prime grade meat!

I use it sometimes on steaks and really like it on burgers, I think the coffee flavor cooks out. I get where you're coming from though because their Dominator, Secret Weapon rubs are very cinnamon forward and is still prominent after the cook. I know a lot of people love those rubs but I'm not a fan of cinnamon on BBQ, just goes to show you we all have different tastes.

open flame high heat is the key to Carne Crosta. The coffee burns/crusts and releases oils that to me end up contributing a much more subtle "chocolaty" flavor than coffee. Not a sweet chocolate flavor...more like smoky chocolate. Hard to describe....but don't worry, it's far from the coffee grounds flavor of the raw rub.

I bought a big bag of the Carne Crosta because of all the great reviews on here about it. I used it just like the directions said on 3 different occasions. We liked the flavor ok but did not like the grit from the coffee grounds. I gave the bag to a Brethren and he loves it. We love everything else that Oak Ridge makes though. I reckon it's like everything else. Folks just have different tastes.

I love it. I like to use it on leaner cuts like Filet since they do not have much fat. But it works for me on any steak. I agree If you don't get the crust right the coffee will not transform.

I really like it. I pick up more of the earthy notes from the mushroom than the coffee, but it is definitely there. Really good change of pace. Nice flavor and excellent crust. I use Fiesta Brand Uncle Chris as my go to steak seasoning.

I TRIED the Oakridge sweet rub on some pig wing (ribs). It had a cinnamon flavor to it, similar to a McCormick rub I used before. I just don’t care for that flavor on things I cook. Similar situation was ploughboys on chicken. It was all the rave at one time and I thought it was just flat tasting.....to each his own. A long time ago I suggested a rub review section on here, NOT NEGATIVE, but characteristics like what we are talking about. Anyway, I got some oak ridge rub I haven’t tried and we shall see said the zenmaster....

Myself, I think it's super. Coat a tri-tip with hot sauce, rub it with Ksalt, Santa Marie & then the Carne Crosta. Cook indirect or hung and then reverse seared.

Thanks for all the replies, good to know it's not just me. I need to like a rub, right out of the jar/bag. If you can't enjoy the flavor on it's own, you're probably not going to like it on your food...JMO. Straight out of the bag, CC tasted like coffee grounds...not pleasant at all for me. I'm still going to give it a shot, and hope for the best.

I use it sometimes on steaks and really like it on burgers, I think the coffee flavor cooks out. I get where you're coming from though because their Dominator, Secret Weapon rubs are very cinnamon forward and is still prominent after the cook. I know a lot of people love those rubs but I'm not a fan of cinnamon on BBQ, just goes to show you we all have different tastes.

I cant stand cinnamon on anything, especially bbq. Oakridge is out for me then I suppose. Any recommendations for another non-cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning?

I cant stand cinnamon on anything, especially bbq. Oakridge is out for me then I suppose. Any recommendations for another non-cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning?
Slap Yo' Daddy - Love Meat Tender and Plowboys - Yardbird are a couple of Rubs that I've purchased and will buy again, Killer Hogs - The BBQ Rub is pretty good too. I haven't tried Swamp Boys Original Rub yet but that will be the next Rub I purchase, I'm sure others will chime in with some of their favorites.

Back