Oakridge BBQ Dominator Rib Rub Alternative

WeldonG

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Weldon
This is my wife's favorite rub but since Oakridge BBQ has gone out of business I need something close. Does anyone know of another brand or have a close recipe? It's the cinnamon that she likes most.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's not regular cinnamon, it's Vietnamese cinnamon or sometimes called Siagon cinnamon. YES there is a difference.

It costs more and is not as bitter, I use it for baking as well.

I purchased a case of dominator before Mike closed the business in late December. I might be able to part with a few bags if your interested? I'll have to look at the invoice to see what I paid.

Last edited:
Maybe you can find some of the real “Saigon cinnamon” and cut it into another sweeter flavored pork centric seasoning and get something that hits the profile your wife is after?

You can get Saigon cinnamon from Penzey's or Spice House online. Only cinnamon I use.

You can get Saigon cinnamon from Penzey's or Spice House online. Only cinnamon I use.

Costco's got them also. Both ground and sticks.

Definitely miss dominator. Hands down my favorite pork rib and pork butt rub.

I bought a big supply of several rubs before they went out of business. I’ll miss black ops the most when it’s gone.

It's not regular cinnamon, it's Vietnamese cinnamon or sometimes called Siagon cinnamon. YES there is a difference.

It costs more and is not as bitter, I use it for baking as well.

I purchased a case of dominator before Mike closed the business in late December. I might be able to part with a few bags if your interested? I'll have to look at the invoice to see what I paid.

Thanks, yes I try to use Vietnamese cinnamon, I usually find it online or at Whole Foods. I agree on the difference, it is ridiculous. Just opening and smelling the bottle you can tell the difference.

I appreciate the offer on the rub. I'll probably try to find a recipe that she likes so that I don't have to worry about running out, lol. I should have bought a case myself along with Black Ops and Carne Crosta.

I loved Dominator, but I'm not that set in my ways. I've been exploring other rubs.

It changes things up and keeps the game interesting. :-D

Same here. I have a cabinet full of different rubs and seasonings that I try out. It drives my wife crazy. She actually makes me keep my seasonings in a different cabinet or actually since we moved my stuff is in plastic tubs on the bottom shelf in the pantry until I get my shop cleaned out and set up as a man cave. I feel like a red headed stepchild right now.

Same here. I have a cabinet full of different rubs and seasonings that I try out. It drives my wife crazy. She actually makes me keep my seasonings in a different cabinet or actually since we moved my stuff is in plastic tubs on the bottom shelf in the pantry until I get my shop cleaned out and set up as a man cave. I feel like a red headed stepchild right now.

Having the same problem. I've got to find a better way to store my spices and see the different ones I have.
I've resorted to just buying online so I don't have to answer questions. When I grab a bottle of spice in a store. LoL

Having the same problem. I've got to find a better way to store my spices and see the different ones I have.
I've resorted to just buying online so I don't have to answer questions. When I grab a bottle of spice in a store. LoL

LOL, I hear you brother. That's why I always ask for Amazon, Academy, or Ace Hardware gift cards for my birthday, Father's Day, or Christmas. The only time my wife doesn't gripe about me buying seasoning or a bbq gadget is if it's with a gift card. I'll admit that I have a sickness and get carried away sometimes but she'll throw a fit when I buy a $10 bottle of rub but she'll spend $300 on skincare products. :crazy:

Back