not BBQ related, but electric or gas?

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
Today I'm moving into a new house. In the kitchen it has an electric cook top on the counter. The house has gas heat. The owners have bought a very nice GE cafe edition gas cook top. But never installed it. Would it be worth it to have it installed or should I just replace with another electric?

Thanks
Jason

Went to a gas (LP) stove several years ago.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO ELECTRIC.
When you turn a gas stove on it gets hot. When you turn it off it doesn't take until the next morning to cool..

I was faced with the same question when I remodeled my kitchen a few years back. While considering, I thought about what I liked and didn't like about the cooktops I'd used in the past and I remembered how much I disliked trying to keep the bowls underneath conventional electric resistive coils clean and thought I'd have the same issue with gas; I went with induction.

I've hated every old electric cooktop I've cooked on, have always used gas. If I were to get a new one, I'd probably go with induction. Although not all pots n pans work with induction.

Is there a gas outlet where the cooktop will go or do you need to run one? You already have the gas cooktop.

You probably already have 208/240 if there is an existing electric there. Just need to buy a new one.

Added expense of running a gas line or added expense of buying a new cooktop.

In my earlier answer, I assumed that a home barbecue enthusiast would also be an enthusiast of indoor cooking. That might be a bad assumption. If your indoor cooking is utilitarian, there’s nothing wrong with electric for boiling water, making mac & cheese, etc.

But if you want to do any real cooking, it’s gas all the way.

There is a vent hood there already. We do a lot of cooking in the kitchen as well, just this is a new house and gas has never really been an option before. I personally worry about gas a bit cause I have no sense of smell. So if there was a leak I wouldn't know.

Jason

Hi Jason. Nice problem to have!

GE Cafe edition appliances are generally quite good. We own a GE Cafe range and are pleased with it. The model we're using has fairly high output burners up front. It's held up well for the 10 years we've owned it. My second favorite update when we re-did the kitchen (favorite update was getting a new, large sink. The old sink that we had was a corner model with two small sink bowls).

I'd expect the installation process to not be terribly involved/expensive if you already have gas plumbed to the home. And, depending on the existing electric range, you may be able to sell it to help offset the cost for the installation.

Good luck with the decision!
Bruce

I say gas too. Check to see if you have a gas stub-out on the wall behind it. If not you will have to get a gas line drop to that point. If the previous occupants bought one they must have known it would work. Would be worth calling a plumber to check it out if there is a question.

Gas is much better than traditional electric. But I moved from gas to induction a couple years ago and wouldn’t go back. The old gas cooktop was GE Profile so not a professional design but not entry level either. I replaced it with a GE Cafe induction. The induction is as responsive to temperature change, is easier to keep clean as the surface never gets as hot and is WAY more powerful.

Induction ranges look the same as a smooth glass electric cooktop but they behave completely differently.

The two downsides are that not all pans work on it — which is a little limiting on non-stick options. The second is one of personal preference but stylistically they are all pretty modern and you’re using touch controls rather than knobs — something that, as a grumpy old man, is not my personal favorite.

I switched from electric to gas several years back - won't ever go back to electric if I have that option. I'll mention that running a new gas line to the cooktop cost more than the gas cooktop itself but it was well worth it.

Last edited:
If you go gas get a stainless top, the black enamel sucks bad and scratches trying to clean it properly, love cooking on my gas stove but it's tough to do a lite simmer, I have a induction hot plate that I use for that when it's a long cook.

Back