Northerners need to chill out about vinegar sauce

Y'all up noth just don't get it. Things south of the Mason Dixon and east of I- 95 are different. I know because I lived there. My life's mission now is to import that information and education to Eastern Tennessee. So far so good. BTW Florida is not part of the South.

Haha, Florida is made up of 90% yankees. The "Migrators" we call'em. I'm in south Georgia and they start just south of me. Love the accents though. :clap2:

Hey, BTW, I know a Capt. Dan on another forum. You don't know any crazy Squirrels by chance? :roll:

That's a stretch. Briqs and charcoal smokers sure make it easier, but there are STILL offset smokers and cinder block pits all over Tennessee burning hickory down to coals, not to mention the brick pits in the old joints. That's BBQ as we know it down here, so if I use a wsm and charcoal, that's not the standard by which bbq is measured down here. It's good, but it's not "BBQ as we know it today".

Charcoal itself goes back much further. Archeologists have unearthed charcoal in Sumer that carbon dates to about 4 thousand BCE (some 6 thousand years ago).

But again, Ford's briquettes were a different notion. The idea was to make road trips with your car mainstream (modern grilling & Q), and having a portable and safe fuel source was central to this.

I love nearly all style of sauces but in my humble opinion - nothing beats a Lexington vinegar sauce on pulled pork.

P.S
I am a New Yorker.

You know what I hate. People who like beef. I wish they would understand that pork is the only meat worth bbq'ing. You know what else I hate. People that like pork. I wish they'd try some beef for once.

Also... I really hate two things. People that stereotype others, and Arabs on my flights.

I totally agree. The only thing worse is those who like the St Louis Blues. :-D

Y'all up noth just don't get it. Things south of the Mason Dixon and east of I- 95 are different. I know because I lived there. My life's mission now is to import that information and education to Eastern Tennessee. So far so good. BTW Florida is not part of the South.

I'm from ny. I vaca in Florida but last month I flew to Florida and rented a car. Drove up thru Georgia and south Carolina. Stayed in Charleston and Savannah. Went to a bunch a BBQ places for some food. also went to academy! Hadda check it out after hearing so much about it. We loved the low country food. Now my fiance wants to move to Charleston. Night we got back to ny she cooked up some shrimp n goat cheese writs. Mmm.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think most people (not bbq fanatics like us) like the thicker, much sweeter sauces. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But I have found through my experience people who enjoy these thicker, overly sweet sauces are the same ones that baptize their bbq in the sauce where they are only tasting sauce accompanied with the texture of the meat its on. They are not tasting the meat.

I can't tell you the number of people I've converted to thinner sauces by putting BOTH on the table when I Q. A lot of people simply have never tried a thin, vinegar based sauce. Especially one that has a combination of sweet, tangy and some heat on the back end. I don't like thicker sauces because they tend to (from a texture standpoint) dominate the meat that I'm eating. And most of them are too sweet for my taste buds.

^^^ I agree with the buzzard. It's take a number of cooks, but the last few more and more people are trying the thinner sauces and often times they'll shake the person next to them saying "DAMN, have you tried this?!?!?", and so it continues. I'll still supply usually 2 different KC style thicker sweater sauce, but next to them will be 2 or 3 thinner sauces (one is our comp sauce), some BH Tenn Red, and then another yellow mustard sauce or two because we're darned close to that SC/NC thing...

The last time I checked, Pennsylvania was a northern state. :bow:

And do you care to venture a guess as to how long barbecue had been cooked over natural coals before the invention of charcoal? Ask someone in Pennsylvania (or Maryland). They seem to have all the answers.

My dad went to the U. of Arkansas, and the U. of North Carolina so I'm sure that's why his recipe was a store bought sauce,with 3/4 of a stick butter,1/4 cup cider vinegar,and a handful of brown sugar. I've been doing the same for years with no complaints. If it's going on PP sammies I add a little more vinegar,if it's for brisket or ribs I sometimes add a little heat. Oh I forgot to mention,In Texas sauce is on the side,not on the meat.:wink:

I was originally a Northerner....
In general they need to chill about A LOT of stuff. :heh:

Brethren excluded of course. :cool:

I was originally a Northerner....
In general they need to chill about A LOT of stuff. :heh:

Brethren excluded of course. :cool:

im a northerner. and i can make a list 100 reasons long why i wish i wasnt, and why i hate bein up here. of corse i like some things, and the area i live in is nice, but on a whole i wish i could move if i wasnt tied to the area for work. NYC on the other hand.... dont even get me started. that place is a dump. if you havent visited... dont bother.

sorry. thats just the way i feel bc i live 25 min north.

I love lots of different styles of sauces, and appreciated the different regional flavors. Different sauces for different meats.

I also agree with serving the sauce on the side, or in comp, a small amount dabbed on top. The sauce shouldn't be the star, but it should play a leading role. INCLUDING vinegar based sauces.

I love a vinegar based sauce on pulled pork but it doesn't seem to score well in comps around here.

Meanwhile, a great quote from a classic Dylan song comes to mind:

"Half of the people can be part right all of the time
Some of the people can be all right part of the time
But all of the people can’t be all right all of the time.."

My dad went to the U. of Arkansas, and the U. of North Carolina so I'm sure that's why his recipe was a store bought sauce,with 3/4 of a stick butter,1/4 cup cider vinegar,and a handful of brown sugar. I've been doing the same for years with no complaints. If it's going on PP sammies I add a little more vinegar,if it's for brisket or ribs I sometimes add a little heat. Oh I forgot to mention,In Texas sauce is on the side,not on the meat.:wink:

In a lot of places other than Texas the sauce is served on the side and not on the meat. :thumb:

SMH. Northerners with no 'cue experience need to expand their taste palettes from Kraft sweet crap. I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Rays and other bottled KC style sauces with sugar and ketchup, but vinegar sauce is good and people around here freak out when they hear vinegar is in my PP dip.
That is all.

/rant

I just don't care for vinegar even in salad dressings.

I do understand other people do, and everybody has different tastes.

I use a Vinegar marinade for chicken and mop the chicken with it during cooking, I finish off on a hot grill to crisp the skin and the vinegar turns to a savory-salty taste that even I can eat.

For ribs I dust first, then mop with a carolina vinegar based red sauce mixed with peach juce to offset the strong vinegar taste. Lastly I finish on high heat a thick spicy-sweet to glaze the ribs. Gives a sort of Spicy sweet-n-sour taste without losing the flavor of the pork.

I accompany with the thin red vinegar sauce on the side for dipping.

I love vinegar or mustard sauce on my ribs. My wife and kid, like the sweet sauce. The good middle of the road sauce I have tried is Bone Suckin sauce that I buy at my local Safeway.

Back