Northerners need to chill out about vinegar sauce

"The charcoal briquette was first invented and patented by Ellsworth B. A. Zwoyer of Pennsylvania in 1897[2] and was produced by the Zwoyer Fuel Company. The process was further popularized by Henry Ford, who used wood and sawdust byproducts from automobile fabrication as a feedstock. Ford Charcoal went on to become the Kingsford Company."

Just saying...

Zwoyer did apply for a patent, but I don't think it was granted. Fords were different, and he (and Edison) are credited with the discovery:

http://inventors.about.com/od/inventionhistory/a/Archive_seven.htm

Either way, it's a distinction without a difference:

The last time I checked, Pennsylvania was a northern state. :bow:

@Jmellor I do the exact same! Cider vinegar used heavily with some sweet stuff, for ribs at least.

I couldn't agree more with people who like a vinegar based sauce on their PP. Best way to do it, sweet ketchup stuff is terrible on PP IMO

And BTW I edited original post for language, per request..

Fpr PP I only use a cider vinegar based sauce - only way to go.

But with ribs, beef, chicken, I like the sweet KC styles sauces - there's a time and place for both!

Now to get some mutton on the go and make some owensboro black bbq sauce. I'll admit I dislike the Alabama white sauce but need to try the KY black...

Hmmm...

Last time I checked, BBQ as we know it today was developed by a Detroiter, one Mr. Henry Ford...

That's a stretch. Briqs and charcoal smokers sure make it easier, but there are STILL offset smokers and cinder block pits all over Tennessee burning hickory down to coals, not to mention the brick pits in the old joints. That's BBQ as we know it down here, so if I use a wsm and charcoal, that's not the standard by which bbq is measured down here. It's good, but it's not "BBQ as we know it today".

That's a stretch. Briqs and charcoal smokers sure make it easier, but there are STILL offset smokers and cinder block pits all over Tennessee burning hickory down to coals, not to mention the brick pits in the old joints. That's BBQ as we know it down here, so if I use a wsm and charcoal, that's not the standard by which bbq is measured down here. It's good, but it's not "BBQ as we know it today".

Thought Al Gore invented BBQ... just sayin'...

I also mix in a little "Lexington Style" vinegar based sauce in my pork as I pull it. The sugar in the sauce adds a touch of sweetness, the pepper a touch of spice and the vinegar cuts the fat in the butt by just a bit. I like it just like that - with perhaps just another touch of the vinegar based sauce on a sandwich with some sweet slaw. However, I make a ketchup based sauce that I serve with my pulled pork and that's what seems to be preferred around here about 3 - 1. My ketchup sauce is NOT nearly as sweet as Sweet Baby Ray's or the other similar sauces.

In the end, I supposed, to each his (or her) own!

Pat

As any southern will tell you "we really don't care how you did it up north, if it's that important take I-95 North", we do it different down here!

Wait, you all mean to say, that if I cook a brisket at 250F for 9 hours on my gasser with wood chunks, that it is not BBQ? What is I do a butt at 225F for 12 hours on my gasser with wood chunks? Does it only become BBQ if I dress it with a vinaigrette? If I make a mix of vinegar, sugar, pig fat and some chile flakes, that is a vinaigrette, which means the pulled pork must be a salad. Can a salad be BBQ?

Just be tollerant and respectful of what folk prefer. Blasting someone who likes a different taste is not appreciating and understanding of our wonderful world of bbq. No region is better than anyone else. Just saying.

I'm all about a vinegar dip for my PP. Pork burgers,ribs,and chicken with a sweet sauce. And brisket butt naked. Nothing like some pulled pork in some good vinegar based dip.

---

You know what I hate. People who like beef. I wish they would understand that pork is the only meat worth bbq'ing. You know what else I hate. People that like pork. I wish they'd try some beef for once.

Also... I really hate two things. People that stereotype others, and Arabs on my flights.

Thought Al Gore invented BBQ... just sayin'...

I think it was only pulled pork. He invented pulled pork. He was attempting to reduce global warming by taking the pigs off the planet in order to lower the methane gas emissions= pulled pork. HAHAHAHA

When I do PP for a group I'll usually make 3-4 different sauces for them to try. The favorite in these "northern" climes seems to be a mustard-vinegar sauce.

Having said that, the reason I'm part of this group is to learn different ideas, techniques, and flavors.

Everyone knows that Algore invented the internet, AND global warming! :icon_blush:

Funny, but my wife's aunt can't STAND vinegar based sauces, and she lives in North Carolina. I love the stuff, both Eastern and Western, but I think MOST folks, no matter where from, seem to prefer a sweeter Memphis style sauce.

I seldom use vinegar sauce but I think it the only sauce that really bring out the flavor in good bbq , lot of sauces mask the flavor of slow smoke q. But I like it simple vingar,red pepper flakes and a little ketchup for color, and a smudge of brown sugar to tone down the vinegar bite

I love these kinds of threads. :-D I like it all. Now, truth be told, I LOVE ENC style sauce with a lot of cayenne in it with ribs. Man, that's some good eating.

When I cook pork or ribs, there is no need for sauce, my pork and ribs are so moist and flavorful, I have to beat the pigs off my property and tell them to wait their turn on my pit. Vinegar and molasses refuse to get on my BBQ, they know there is no place for them on my pulled pork or ribs, cause the meat is just that good.

Y'all up noth just don't get it. Things south of the Mason Dixon and east of I- 95 are different. I know because I lived there. My life's mission now is to import that information and education to Eastern Tennessee. So far so good. BTW Florida is not part of the South.

I like vinegar sauce on PP on a baked potato. Other than that, I'm a sweet tomato based for PP. I like either a sweet tomato or mustard based for chicken, ribs, and also brisket. But to each his own. Whatever makes the people you are cooking for happy-that's the joy in it for me. I try to serve a little of each.

Back