No more comment cards?

Just thinking out loud here, but why not have the table captain poll the judges after each category has been judged then summarize on a comment card? We might get a more even picture of how our entry was judged.

I like the concept of comment cards but, although not very likely, I would want the table captain (or someone) to review the cards to make sure they include constructive criticism or useful comments.

Just thinking out loud here, but why not have the table captain poll the judges after each category has been judged then summarize on a comment card? We might get a more even picture of how our entry was judged.

That's a really intriguing idea. I'd definitely recommend submitting it to the BoD for consideration.

I think it would be a mistake to stop now. I really use them as a tool to help explain a bad score. I started out giving cards for 6's but now only 5's or less (why give a card because your product is average).
The argument for requiring a card for a certain score is the same half assed people that won't go the extra inch will just not give that score, thus further inflating the norm.
They only take a minute to do, and I think they're worthwhile.
Ed

I always felt rushed with the half hour turn ins to really give subjective comment cards, and any I've received were not helpful.

PNWBA on the other hand, has 1 hour turn ins and the comment cards are welcome by the cooks and when I judge it makes me feel more accountable.

I started out giving cards for 6's but now only 5's or less (why give a card because your product is average).

The argument for requiring a card for a certain score is the same half assed people that won't go the extra inch will just not give that score, thus further inflating the norm.

Ed

I to do not find it nessesary to give a comment card unless it is a 5 or below. Whether that is good, bad or indifferent I do not know, but it is my policy as a CBJ. If your BBQ is average, I am sorry, but I am not able as a CBJ, in a card that provides me 3 small lines and a very short time frame to tell you how to correct that, you have to find that out on your own. But if I am going to say your BBQ is below average, I need to be able to articulate why it is in those 3 lines, or score it higher or step away from the judging tent for a few months or years untill I can.

I believe they should be mandatory on a score lower then a 6. If that makes the judge increase his score, so be it, if he is to lazy to give an accurate score for the team or unwilling to make the needed comment, the meat probably did not deserve the lower score he was going to give it anyway. In the last year, I am amazed at the amount of competitions I have been at, where a MCBJ will give a score below a 6 and not bothered filling out a comment card...I can expect that from someone who is new, but a Master? Unacceptable...

I am sure that is flawed thinking, but most of my thinking is.

I feel that if I give you a six or lower that I'm saying that your food sucks. I think that I owe it to you to tell you why I think that it sucks. When I fill out a comment card I try to state what the problem is with that entry, something like "All I could taste was chili powder", "Pulled & chunks were good - mushy slices killed your score". I think that we should keep the comment cards.

With me, if I give you a 6 or lower you're gonna get a card. I think that I owe you an explanation of why I just killed your chances of winning this comp. On the mandatory thing I have mixed emotions. Saying you need to fill out a card for a 6 will basicly make this a three number scoring system for a lot of judges. Although the idea of the TC polling the table does have some interesting possibilities.

I think comment cards can be good if done properly. The reps usually tell you that they're mainly for scores of 5 or below. Even then, it's optional. It helps if they cards contain constructive criticism. The reps even try to explain this to the judges. But, unfortunately, some judges don't pay attention (they probably didn't pay attention during the CBJ class either) and they put out crappy comment cards.

At once recent contest, they were using judges as table captains (doing double duty for lack of table captains) and the table captain at our table was a fairly new judge (having completed the class a few months ago). At the end of the categories, this table captain/judge would carefully look through all of our scores and if this person saw a score of 5 or below, they would hand you a comment card and tell you that you need to fill out one for the low score you gave something. Never had something like this happen before. The way this person acted, you'd think they were a certified rep and the rest of us were brand new (we all had more experience than this person). Anyway, just got off on a rant. :p

Back