No, Mine is Bigger!

20-21 people one traeger junior elite. Chicken, corn pudding, and pulled pork. I tried a WSM 14.5" first time and got my first grease fire. The directions weren't good in English. Later read through the Spanish directions while I am not fluent I kind of muddled my way through them. Realized there were brackets right below the lowest great set on. Charcoal burned away and it dumped grease into the fire and I saw white smoke and flames shooting through the bottom vents. It was bad. It took forever to clean it out. What a mess. Lucky it was only noticed by my wife and our one friend. Got it shut down and continued cooking with the traeger. Learned my lesson never christen a smoker on a special occasion. Especially if the directions are terrible.

We did about 75. Not too many people, but it was for my wedding so kinda important. It was the first time we did a packer. Turned out great. Luckly I had two great helpers Brethren awscwi and our other teammate T Bird.

So long as working in a Q restaurant or church chicken cooks doesn't count then the biggest I've done is 25.

As soon as I get the money up to get an order in to Paul I WILL make that number rise!!!:grin:

My largest was for a wedding where my sons and I did a 115# whole hog and 50# of tenderloin for about 150 folks.

The largest I've done "alone" with multiple meats and sides was 80-100. Ive done 3 that were around 150-200, but I only had 2 meats and all of the setup and sides were taken care of by the hosts that I was doing a cook for. I don't care who you are, doing a 100 by yourself is a butt whooping!:wacko:

My largest is about 125 people and that was hell to do by myself. I can normally handle a simple menu (2-3 meats and 3-4 sides) for up to 75 people by myself without any issues. After that it starts getting a little hairy and I find that I need and apreciate help.

My largest is about 125 people and that was hell to do by myself. I can normally handle a simple menu (2-3 meats and 3-4 sides) for up to 75 people by myself without any issues. After that it starts getting a little hairy and I find that I need and apreciate help.
Funny how your simple menu would be my nightmare. I can handle the meat but the sides would be a pain. I'm not a chef:tsk:

Did whole hogs for several catering co. in the area every weekend during the summer. averaged 150 to 200 It got old by the end of the season and now I just do it for friends once in awhile.

I have done 2 BBQs for the local Eagles Hall 150 to 200 people. A couple of weddings with 200 people. The Washington State Veterans Home ( Old Soldiers Home ) contacted me about doing a cook for the veterans and staff, 160 people. I worked with their cooking staff to I would meet their needs. I just supplied the pulled pork and I suggested the sides that they made. The Veterans liked it so much they asked me to do their Family Day for 400 people. I smoked Beef Chuck Rolls for pulled beef. I worked with the Event Coordinator to make sure it would happen. I discounted the meat by 50% , so way cheaper than the chain BBQ places. I off set my cost by pre sales of extra briskets, pulled pork, and pulled beef. I really enjoy cooking for the Vets and would do it again

Funny how your simple menu would be my nightmare. I can handle the meat but the sides would be a pain. I'm not a chef:tsk:

You don't have to be a chef to do this. It is just proper planning and a proper timeline to do it by yourself. Also coming up with a menu so you aren't fighting for cooker or oven space helps as well.

I cooked for a friends wedding. First hog, first large cook, first time using the block pit. I was in over my head and am more than lucky it went off without a problem. I let the groom do the honors, it's amazing that tux didn't get stained.

35~55 about a hundred times.....a few bigger ones like 110 for a wedding, a couple 100's & a 150.....all the smaller ones, I did a lot, but not all of the sides.....some other folks pitching in with specialties on the bigger ones...

All done on kettles, in more recent years, some of the long cook stuff done overnite & hot held to go along with grilled or short smoked things at the event......

Awaa's right, if things are timed & planned a bit ( really not as hard to do as it seems) one person can feed a group of 50 without workin' up a sweat.....

You don't have to be a chef to do this. It is just proper planning and a proper timeline to do it by yourself. Also coming up with a menu so you aren't fighting for cooker or oven space helps as well.

I guess my issue is I just don't enjoy making sides. For some reason it feels like work to me.:loco: Loading up the smoker and playing with fire and meat is just so much more fun.:biggrin1: I do have a good friend that keeps offering to go into some kind of business together. He can make some amazing dishes and just loves doing it. I guess once our kids all get out of college we could give it a try. I do appreciate the pep talk.:thumb:

I guess my issue is I just don't enjoy making sides. For some reason it feels like work to me.:loco: Loading up the smoker and playing with fire and meat is just so much more fun.:biggrin1: I do have a good friend that keeps offering to go into some kind of business together. He can make some amazing dishes and just loves doing it. I guess once our kids all get out of college we could give it a try.

You are probably right with that. I enjoy all cooking, not just bbq. I also have been working on my sides that go well with bbq so I put a lot of emphasis on it. It isn't a rare thing where I think a side I made was better than the bbq I cooked for it (this includes seasonal salads w/ dressings). I know I'm wierd. :crazy:

Back