No garnish boxes

but...Judges eat with their eyes, don't even think they disregard garnish and smoke rings etc.[/QUOT

My Dear Mr. Dingus,
I call big fat bulls*it on your generalization of all judges. I personally DO disregard both garnish (after checking legality) and smoke ring when judging KCBS contests. It's the rule and is not hard to do once you train yourself to do it. And I'm not the only judge to follow the rules, in fact I would venture a guess most do.
The amount of comments on the BBQ Critic site that make note of garnish improvement oppertunitys and then follow with "but we don't judge garnish" indicate the ability to see it but not judge it.
Ed

This is rather an odd thing to say. If, on the BBQ Critic site, they tell you what would make the presentation better in the way of garnish but then state, but we don't look at the garnish is somewhat of a BS statement. They did and they judged it, end of story.

The food that comes out of my restaurant kitchen is critiqued by the server prior to leaving the kitchen and placing it on the table. Why, because it is a documented fact at all culinary schools that the diner eats with their eyes first. Judges are DINERS.

This is rather an odd thing to say. If, on the BBQ Critic site, they tell you what would make the presentation better in the way of garnish but then state, but we don't look at the garnish is somewhat of a BS statement. They did and they judged it, end of story.

The food that comes out of my restaurant kitchen is critiqued by the server prior to leaving the kitchen and placing it on the table. Why, because it is a documented fact at all culinary schools that the diner eats with their eyes first. Judges are DINERS.

If for example I can't see your meat because it is sunk down in a poofy load of greens I will score down for appearance. I'm not judging your garnish but I do see it and it caused a deduction because I can't see your meat.
Ed

During a contest last year, a similar situation appeared. When asked, the rep stated for the appearance score, judge what meat you can see.

With the rules not stating to judge either up or down, one can only score the appearance of the meat on what meat is seen as Excellent, Very Good, Above Average, Average, etc.

Not an enjoyable session attempting to be fair when meat is hidden within such a forest...

I don't think garnish is ever consciously judged but it has an impact on the appearance score. Rightly or wrongly, most KCBS judges are just used to seeing garnish. It frames the meat better, sets off the colors better than white styrofoam, and lifts the meat up a little closer to the eyes and nose. Some judges are disciplined enough to ignore it but common sense tells you that your chances are better with it. Anyone on a no-garnish crusade, all I can say is good luck with that.

Back