• meh

Votes: 90 42.1%
  • awful

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • sauce, we dont need no stinking sauce

Votes: 24 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted it's my go to because it closest to the truth. If I don't have any of my sauce on hand and I am forced to buy commercial, I get SBR Sweet and Spicy. Not a fan of the real vinegary sauces, but do like a little tang. Ive found you can get close by adding a little cider vinegar and cayenne to SBR. Or cut it with some spicy mustard.

I don't buy sauce too often, as I strongly prefer my own. However, I don't mind SBR that much, and I am not too much of a snob about it.

I think it's just ok, but that's pretty much my review of any store-bought, so meh.

Most sugar in the US is made from beets which are typically GMO. Unless it specifically says cane sugar or organic sugar it's probably made from GMO sugar beets.

Well thanks for the info, and for shattering my illusions of eating natural when I see "sugar" in the ingredients!! :boom: :icon_sad

SBR to sweet

Not a fan but am really curious about using it as a base and doctoring it up to thin it a little and put some heat in it.

Anyone have a recipe or good idea.

The restaurant in Wood Dale has more sauces than we see on store shelves in NY.

I prefer my own Carolina or mustard sauces, but for a store-bought sauce, SBR's is pretty good if you're into sweet.

It's not my favorite but I always seem to have some around. One thing I've noticed is that when I cook for at home for guests or larger crowds at our tailgates, it's usually the sauce that gets used the most. I always put 5 or 6 different types out but it seems to be the go-to for many folks.

I read a lot of post stating how much people love it. Personally i think its awful. Thick, glopy, spicy ketchup. The primary ingredient is hfcs followed by a number other questionable things. I prefer sauces consisting of things found in my pantry (who am i kidding, i have no pantry).

Maybe im just being a bbq snob.

:clap:stole the words right out a my mouth.

:puke:

The Rub's that I like to use all ways have a little KICK in them. That's when I'll use some SBR docked up to balance the KICK of the Rub. Happy Wife, Happy Life:biggrin1:

I voted don't need no stinking sauce but I do use sauce on PP, mixed 50:50 with apple sauce and a good splash of ACV. Ketchup is made with liquid sugar, another name for HFCS, so eventually when I do make my own sauce I will not use ketchup as a base. Might be applesauce, it mirrors what I'm doing already. I'm trying out different commercial brands of BBQ sauce (both massed-produced junky sauce and junk-free gourmet sauce) with the goal to make my own from scratch and truly healthy ingredients. The sweeteners I use will be things like maple syrup, raw or minimally processed sugars and molasses. I'm intrigued by vinegar sauces for PP, I've copied some Brethren recipes down to experiment with.

I am concerned about high fructose corn syrup and I am in the camp that says HFCS is worse for our health than regular refined white sugar (which is still junk, just not as bad junk). HFCS is a cheap, poor quality ingredient that has impurities including mercury and is used in cheap, poor quality food. Dr. Mark Hyman is a doctor I trust, I've read his book "Ultramind" and it was heavy with quality footnotes representing quality studies. He explains in detail why HFCS is bad from a scientific standpoint (see #4 nearer the bottom, link below). The Corn Refiners Association's propaganda blitz takes leading scientists work and their public discussion of findings that prove HFCS is deadly and worse than sugar out of context and manipulate words to support their own propaganda.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/05/13/5-reasons-high-fructose-corn-syrup-will-kill-you/#close

Good stuff kathy.

I laughed when you wrote junk-free becauce i just bought 3 different sauces from "the Shed" and his label actually reads "junk-free". The Shed is a blues and Q joint featured on several foodie tv shows.

I always check the ingredient list and wont buy sauce if it has the "junk" in it.

If making sauce from a ketchup base consider organic ketsup like Simply Hienz. All the ingredients listed are real food.

I by no means eat perfect but i try where i can. If only i could cut out the soda.

Back