Ninja and the ring of fire *** for the first time

Yes, most definitely. Well, thats based on one cook. The only major deviations were due to my chronic, insatiable need to open the lid. Adjustments with the intake handle responded well.

With the coals banked temps tend to drift up after time. Requiring some attention.

Coals banked is just my goto weber setup. I can effortlessly cook a wide arrange of food with my choice or combination of heat types (convection, conduction, rad...):bolt:
Do you catch the temps on the way up? I cooked ribs yesterday using the minion method. I adjusted the vents as the temperature rose until it stabilized at 225 deg. It sat there for 5 hours, till I pulled the meat. This has worked for me for decades.

Last edited:
Do you catch the temps on the way up? I cooked ribs yesterday using the minion method. I adjusted the vents as the temperature rose until it stabilized at 225 deg. It sat there for 5 hours, till I pulled the meat. This has worked for me for decades.

Just my experience temps tend to drift up. Never really did alot of 225 maybe things are more stable. Also remember im a looker so that has an effect. Dont think i can stop

Ring Of Fire ! You bet ! Here is on my Ranch Kettle 17lb briskit.... I do it all the time Works great ! Glad you had great results....I use a combo of KBB Lump Mesquite and Mesquite chunks.

Wow look at that ranch. Makes a 17 lbs brisket look tiny. That thing looks so much fun

All on the same page here my brothers...hot clean fire rules and no worries about too much or too bad smoke for sure.

Nice cook Steve

Just my experience temps tend to drift up. Never really did alot of 225 maybe things are more stable. Also remember im a looker so that has an effect. Dont think i can stop
You can peek through the vent hole, you know. Plus, quick peeks don't seem to affect the temp, they just let out the heat, adding recovery time.

Another option.
Firebricks.jpg

After a few tries, I left my "snake" unattended for 3+ hours, well my son was home hopefully checking the maverick occasionally, but it was nice to finally not have to babysit the kettle! Going to do a butt and some more ribs this weekend.

After a few tries, I left my "snake" unattended for 3+ hours, well my son was home hopefully checking the maverick occasionally, but it was nice to finally not have to babysit the kettle! Going to do a butt and some more ribs this weekend.
For a large piece of meat, like a butt or a beef roast, a snake is the way to go. If the cook is to last for less than 6 hours, a snake is not worth the time it takes to set it up properly, in my opinion. You have to monitor the temp the cooker is settled in at before the meat is put on, anyways. If the cooker settles in at the temp you wanted, the Minion method is easier for less time than that. Just my experienced opinion.

Back