Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

I love the simplicity of my WSM, vertical just makes sense. Seems an OC vertical or similar would be the natural step up from a WSM in terms of space and easy access to food grates.. sound about right?

uyHmwP6h.jpg

Not against burning sticks but I thought you could also go with lump and wood chunks with this cooker, would it burn through it too fast?

At 24"Wx 20" Deep with 3 cooking grates (roughly19"x22") The Smokehouse is the Equivalent of a 20"x70" horizontal offset. :shock:

Not against burning sticks but I thought you could also go with lump and wood chunks with this cooker, would it burn through it too fast?

for some reason you can burn 5 pounds of charcoal in a uds for 10 hours but you put the same amount of charcoal in a rectangle box and it does not perform the same.

I just wanted to take a second and Thank SmittyJonz, and the rest of you all, for posting about this smoker. I researched this unit for 3 weeks, not finding much about it at all, then I stumbled across this forum, and it was EXACTLY what I had been looking for. I was torn between the Smokehouse and the Over Under, and after reading this thread, I decided to go with the Smokehouse, as it was the one I was really interested in to begin with. I picked up my unit last Saturday evening, and took the fire tray to the local machine shop, the are going to cut out the current vents a little bigger, and add more vents to allow the ash to drop easier. They are also building me a tray with 3 walls, and a handle in the front, that will slide in, so when the ash builds up I can pull it out, dump it, and slide it back in, for those long smokes. I should get the fire tray and ash box back tomorrow. I am crazy excited to get this thing seasoned and get some meat on it. Thanks so much, again, for all your valuable info!!

I've only done one cook so far, and I was using the tiny splits available at Academy. At first I was riding along around 275 (adding a split at 250 about every 40 minutes), but then it started pouring rain and that threw all my consistency out the window. I feel like if I was using good size splits, 275-300 adding a split every hour or so would be realistic, and more or less depending on your target temps...but Smitty is the SME on these so maybe he can give more info.

I use a Water pan cuz don't like drippings burning - 300*

cool.thanks man.

I've only done one cook so far, and I was using the tiny splits available at Academy. At first I was riding along around 275 (adding a split at 250 about every 40 minutes), but then it started pouring rain and that threw all my consistency out the window. I feel like if I was using good size splits, 275-300 adding a split every hour or so would be realistic, and more or less depending on your target temps...but Smitty is the SME on these so maybe he can give more info.

thanks for the info. do you go straight wood or have a bed of coals

Back