THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigTerp

Knows what a fatty is.
Looking to get a new wireless thermometer for my UDS. Currently using a Maverick-ET 73 that I've got when I first built my UDS. Works fine, but it has seen better days. The probe wires are starting to fray at the probe connection, so I'm afraid it's going to crap out sooner then later. Looking to upgrade to something a bit nicer as well. Any recommendations? Looking to keep it under $60-$70 or so. I'm looking at the Maverick ET-733 and the Ivation Long Range. Am open to any and all recommendations. Would like something that has a better receiving distance than the ET73 and one where the receiver screen stays on while in use (no having to hit a button to view the status of the probes from the receiver screen).

Thermoworks Smoke with run you 100$ but it'll beat the socks off anything else in that price range. The multiple probes it accepts increases its functionality as well.

I've been using my ET-732 for Atleast 5 years with no issues. Only problem was a bad probe which was my fault for dropping a lid on the wire. That will be in your price range off of EBay or Amazon.

Another vote for Smoke, though it is slightly above your price range, worth every penny IMO. If you are looking for increased range especially, you will love the Smoke. It uses radio frequency rather than a Bluetooth connection, I hardly ever lose connection and it's quick to reconnect if I do.

Another vote for Smoke. The receiver stays on, and has great range (about 300 feet). I continue to see very mixed reviews with Maverick, works great, or is a POS. Everything I've read, and experienced with the Smoke, has been very positive. I was never very interested in a remote thermometer, simply because the reviews on 90% of them were mixed. As soon as Thermoworks released Smoke, I knew that was the one for me. I've only had mine for about 6 months, but it has performed flawlessly. If and when it craps out, I'll buy another.

Matt

Thanks. I'm looking at the Thermoworks Smoke as well, but not sure I want to pull the trigger for $100. Right now I'm settling on the ET-733. But the more I look at the Smoke, the itchier my trigger finger gets.

My Maverick is going into it's 4th years and works for me. But, everything I have read about the Smoke is that it is just a better thermometer. If I had to buy one now, I'd get the Smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I understand $30 isn't chump change, but wait another month, save up, and get the one that is going to work better, last longer, and you'll be happier with. Otherwise, you'll be spending another $70 in a couple years.

Pay once, cry once...

Back