Bears....Ditka...Polish Sausage...

Might you care to post your recipe or maybe a link. Always looking for a new taste until I hit my forever Polish link.
Ed

Don't Mind at all!

The recipe I followed said grind lean meat with coarse and fat with finer die grind...Since I had a pork shoulder and it was all interconnected, I just did a double coarse grind. As for salt, I did not use Kosher simply because it didn't say kosher. I used coarse ground pepper because that's all I had. Not sure if it makes a huge difference but wanted to add to those caveats.

The recipe and instructions below are a derivative of the original recipe I followed. I tried to to include any changes I made in the notes.

Code:
Meat
* Pork Shoulder - 1000g
* Hog Casings - 32mm size

Ingredients - Per 1000g of Meat
* Salt - 18g
* Cure #1 - 2.5g
* Pepper (coarse) - 2g
* Garlic Powder - 3.5g
* Marjoram - 1g
* Cold Water - 100ml

Directions
* Double grind with coarse die (I think 3/8")
* Add cure, seasoning and water
* Mix until sticks on palm of hand
* Stuff in casings, around 12"
* Fridge overnight to let the cure do it's thing

Smoking Directions
* Wood Type - Oak
* Set smoker to 130F or so
* Hang sausage with no smoke to dry out casings for 30-45 minutes
* Smoke sausage @150F for ~45 minutes*
* Increase temp to 170F for ~45 minutes
* Sausage should be around IT of 155-160F
* Put in ice bath for ~20 minutes to stop cooking process

Post-smoke Directions
* If cooking right away, you could probably ensure temp of sausage in previous step reaches at least 165F OR...
* Fridge if cooking in next few days
* Vac seal and freeze for long term storage
* Cook sausage until IT of 165F

Last edited:
Don't Mind at all!

The recipe I followed said grind lean meat with coarse and fat with finer die grind...Since I had a pork shoulder and it was all interconnected, I just did a double coarse grind. As for salt, I did not use Kosher simply because it didn't say kosher. I used coarse ground pepper because that's all I had. Not sure if it makes a huge difference but wanted to add to those caveats.

The recipe and instructions below are a derivative of the original recipe I followed. I tried to to include any changes I made in the notes.

Code:
Meat
* Pork Shoulder - 1000g
* Hog Casings - 32mm size

Ingredients - Per 1000g of Meat
* Salt - 18g
* Cure #1 - 2.5g
* Pepper (coarse) - 2g
* Garlic Powder - 3.5g
* Marjoram - 1g
* Cold Water - 100ml

Directions
* Double grind with coarse die (I think 3/8")
* Add cure, seasoning and water
* Mix until sticks on palm of hand
* Stuff in casings, around 12"
* Fridge overnight to let the cure do it's thing

Smoking Directions
* Wood Type - Oak
* Set smoker to 130F or so
* Hang sausage with no smoke to dry out casings for 30-45 minutes
* Smoke sausage @150F for ~45 minutes*
* Increase temp to 170F for ~45 minutes
* Sausage should be around IT of 155-160F
* Put in ice bath for ~20 minutes to stop cooking process

Post-smoke Directions
* If cooking right away, you could probably ensure temp of sausage in previous step reaches at least 165F OR...
* Fridge if cooking in next few days
* Vac seal and freeze for long term storage
* Cook sausage until IT of 165F

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, I'm going to put it to use in the next couple weeks.
Ed

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this, I'm going to put it to use in the next couple weeks.
Ed

Most welcome. I hope it works out for you. I am by no means a seasoned sausage veteran (pun intended), so hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a catastrophe because of me :) . I thoroughly enjoyed the results, so I hope you do too.

Not a complete neewb, have several goes at brats, polish, breakfast, hot dogs, bacon.
Just still searching for the one of each I want to stay with.
Will that ever happen??
Ed

Wow! Those results are amazing, especially after only reading the "Forward" of that thick book. Can hardly wait for what follows after more reading :-D

Back