New Summit E6 First Thoughts...

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what this gives you that the MB doesn't since I was looking at this as well as the MB & settled on the MasterBuilt (for now)

Having cooked on a kamado for years, I can tell you that the MB cooks totally different. Where a kamado is good at holding in and maintaining heat, the MB is good at convection air flow and constantly exposing the meat to fresh, clean smoke. One thing the Summit will be good at is its versatility, going from conventional charcoal grilling, to kamado style smoking and everything in-between. I know the MB can grill, but I personally believe that doing so really stretches and stresses its' limits. All that said, we'll see...

Well, burn-in went great. The Summit acted just as expected with regards to temp control and ease of use. I filled the firebox about 2/3 full with lump and lit one spot in the center with a torch. I added some wood chunks.
I climbed the temps in steps from 225 up to 325. It acted much like my Primo ceramic, with no real leaks other than at the seam of the lid's seal, back by the hinge. I may or may not address that later, as it really wasn't a big deal. The Weber therm was very accurate at lower temps, but once it got above 275, it started reading gradually lower than my FB2D, which was at grate level. I wonder if the stock therm can be replaced with a Tel Tru? Anyways, I'll be using a digital therm to monitor temps.
So far, I'm very happy with this cooker. It seems to have all the capabilities of a ceramic, together with the versatility of a kettle. I can't wait to post my first cooks.

Just to add, I called Weber and they are sending me a new upper vent assembly, so we'll see if that one is tighter and stays put when you open the lid.

Mine leaked at the seam as well but I haven't noticed in quite a while. I wouldn't bother addressing it unless it persists. I wouldn't mess with the vent either. Get a half dozen or so cooks in it and I bet both issues will be fine.

On a side note, I actually have a whole new lid in my garage. The first one I received had a big scratch on it so they sent me a new one. Then ended up sending me a whole new grill to address the wobbly stand.

I am very happy with my Summit.

Back