New smoker - what type to get???

Barrels, boxes, kamado's, kegs, steel, ceramic, electric, pellets, kettles, etc etc I've seen five star results from all of these here on this forum.

My advice which is worth a lot less than the traditional 2cents, get at least one of the above BUT always have a stick burner in your line up, horizontal or vertical doesn't matter as long as its something that is not set and forget. Because On those days you have the time-- it is fun to tend the flame and be actively involved.

This is solid advice:thumb: I only use mine 2-3 times a year but I really enjoy those few times.

They must just sell the optional baskets to use as conversation pieces.
I probably need to throw mine away.

Charcoal in an offset always makes for good conversation around here.:biggrin1: I have done it in mine before but I did not have the success that you did. It worked but I did not get 6 hours. It could have been my charcoal basket was not big enough. I don't see LSG selling an option that would not function properly and have customers unhappy. We even have one guy on here that admits to burning mostly wood chunks in his UDS.:crazy: Just because something is not the "norm" doesn't make it wrong. Keep on smoking!

They must just sell the optional baskets to use as conversation pieces.
I probably need to throw mine away.
No need to be snarky, the reason I posted in the thread was to encourage the OP to at least visit Lone Star Grillz since they are not that far away from his location.

Like many people considering dropping $2k+ on a cooker that will take up a huge chunk of backyard real estate I did my best to research the products and the cooking methods.

I did not find any useful information regarding cooking in the offsets using a charcoal basket.
What I found was, charcoal was minimally useful to get the wood fire started.
Perhaps you could take the time to post some of your cooking experiences and techniques to help others that are looking for information.

Charcoal in an offset always makes for good conversation around here.:biggrin1: I have done it in mine before but I did not have the success that you did. It worked but I did not get 6 hours. It could have been my charcoal basket was not big enough. I don't see LSG selling an option that would not function properly and have customers unhappy. We even have one guy on here that admits to burning mostly wood chunks in his UDS.:crazy: Just because something is not the "norm" doesn't make it wrong. Keep on smoking!

Yeah I knew it would get some folks excited when I posted it, but heck I've also cut grass with a weedeater LOL. Like I said I've only used it a few times mainly just wanting to see how long I could get with it, it is a decent size.
As long as we're all cooking and turning out good Q it shouldn't matter if you're using a coffee can and chicken wire for a pit. It's all good :thumb:.

P.S. If anyone starts selling coffee can pits I'de like a cut. lmao

No need to be snarky, the reason I posted in the thread was to encourage the OP to at least visit Lone Star Grillz since they are not that far away from his location.

Like many people considering dropping $2k+ on a cooker that will take up a huge chunk of backyard real estate I did my best to research the products and the cooking methods.

I did not find any useful information regarding cooking in the offsets using a charcoal basket.
What I found was, charcoal was minimally useful to get the wood fire started.
Perhaps you could take the time to post some of your cooking experiences and techniques to help others that are looking for information.

I wasn't being snarky. I was simply making a point that there is obviously a reason why many of the major pit builders offer the baskets as an accessory. It is possible to use them for shorter cooks, that's all I was saying. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that has ever done it. If anyone doesn't want to use one because they think it's taboo or for whatever reason, then don't. Simple.

I actually did take the time to reply to a post and try to be helpful. I answered a question based on my experience and techniques and since then, well we all see how that went.

REALLY? So I can spend time doing this? Perhaps you could be more open minded to different ideas. Have a great day and happy cookin.

Thanks SmittyJonz. I am thinking real hard about an offset with a good size 1/2 inch firebox to help with heat retention. Thanks for your help.

If you've never used a stickburner, there's something to be said for buying an Old Country from Academy for $500, using it for a while, and selling it for $300 before you plunk down 3-5 times that much on a custom build.

It's a *whole* different ball of wax from using a kettle or WSM. You may like it, you may not.

Lance, I have a LSG 24" X 48" offset and it is awesome. The build quality is second to none and the pit performs flawlessly. It's easy to control temps and with the tuning plates I can dial my in to within 5 degrees from end to end. Chris is also excellent to work with and will make sure you get what you want.

I went with the 1/2" fb on mine, with the gas log lighter. I also had them do a single door on the cook chamber (no counter weight needed) with two full length cook racks versus the double door with four racks. I also added the charcoal basket and fold down front shelf. It will come with tuning plates standard.

Having LSG in your backyard is a bonus and you can go by and see them in person. Hope this helps... :thumb:
TexasRT, thank you again for your post. I am leaning toward LSGz and I wanted to ask if you think the 1/2 inch firebox helps get longer burns for your fuel? Do you feel it made enough difference to justify the increased cost? Thanks again for your help.

TexasRT, thank you again for your post. I am leaning toward LSGz and I wanted to ask if you think the 1/2 inch firebox helps get longer burns for your fuel? Do you feel it made enough difference to justify the increased cost? Thanks again for your help.

I'll chime on this one as well Lance. According to Chris' input in vidoes and online, he says that with the 1/2" firebox you increase your efficiency by 10-15% IIRC. Now keep in mind that insulated firebox is a complete different ballgame. I think 1/2" firebox is more for if you live in windy, rainy or colder part of the country. I chose to keep my firebox 1/4" since I live in Southern California where we barely gain rain, wind (at least where I live) and it's warm pretty much all year round.

Once that steel heats up it's good to go. Whenever I add sticks by opening a closing the firebox door so far I have never seen a decrease in pit temps. Again keep in mind I live in L.A. and we hardly get below 40*

Lance, I had an offset with a 1/4" FB before this one and I think the 1/2" FB helps some, my thought pattern was - more mass is always better for retaining heat. It was strictly my preference. Is it a must, NO but it certainly can't hurt. Would I do it again - YES, any regrets absolutely not. Also as SSV3 mentioned the insulated FB may be something you want to look at if you have the $$$ to spend. If you have any doubts on options put together a wish list and go over it with Chris, let him know your concerns and ask lots questions, he will not take advantage just to make a few $$$.

On a side note: Like DaveAlvarado and others have mentioned a stick burner does require attention, some people enjoy cooking on them and some don't care for it. There's also a big thread on here reguarding the LSG Vertical Cabinet Smokers, lots of people rave about those also. Check it out.
Keep asking questions until you feel comfortable with your decision.
Hope this helps

Thank you ssv3 and TexasRT. I have had other types of I'll call them "grills" and I have always wanted an offset smoker "stick burner". One of the guys I hunt with has one and it stays at the camp and we use it for everything as we only have a small toaster oven type in the camp. BUT he usually does all of the "major" cooking on it and all I have really used it for was cooking steaks over the firebox. I actually went and met with the owner of Gator Grills and I went to LSG and they both build a very nice smoker. I looked at the vertical smokers offered at Pitmaker and LSG has a vertical as well. I even made a stop at Klose and went by Pitts and Spitts while I was out. {I am on vacation so I was able to just do a lot of running around the last couple of days}. I understand that a "stick burner" may be a bit more work but there will not be many times when I am going to be cooking for long periods of time and I like versatility of it so I am now trying to decide what features I need. I am (was) sold on the thicker 1/2" box because I have been told it will maintain your heat and will not have to be "tended" as much. It is not a mater of fuel cost more that I don't want to ruin a lot of meat because I forget to manage my fire correctly. I noticed that LSG has an option to put in a charcoal rack inside the main cooking (or pipe area) but I cant imagine doing that because I don't think I would ever get it cleaned out properly and why would you? The only benefit I see to it is possibly using it to hold drip or water pans under brisket.... but then it seems the tuning plates would get in the way. The only other "option" I think I really like is the gas assist. That looks like a nice feature. As you can see I am starting to narrow things down and I want to thank you for your assistance. I actually like the idea of the vertical that you can start up and just forget about it until you need to take off the food and I may end up adding a small one to the back yard but right now it just doesn't seem to fit as well as the offset smoker does. Thanks again and please feel free to offer any suggestions you have.

Thank you ssv3 and TexasRT. I have had other types of I'll call them "grills" and I have always wanted an offset smoker "stick burner". One of the guys I hunt with has one and it stays at the camp and we use it for everything as we only have a small toaster oven type in the camp. BUT he usually does all of the "major" cooking on it and all I have really used it for was cooking steaks over the firebox. I actually went and met with the owner of Gator Grills and I went to LSG and they both build a very nice smoker. I looked at the vertical smokers offered at Pitmaker and LSG has a vertical as well. I even made a stop at Klose and went by Pitts and Spitts while I was out. {I am on vacation so I was able to just do a lot of running around the last couple of days}. I understand that a "stick burner" may be a bit more work but there will not be many times when I am going to be cooking for long periods of time and I like versatility of it so I am now trying to decide what features I need. I am (was) sold on the thicker 1/2" box because I have been told it will maintain your heat and will not have to be "tended" as much. It is not a mater of fuel cost more that I don't want to ruin a lot of meat because I forget to manage my fire correctly. I noticed that LSG has an option to put in a charcoal rack inside the main cooking (or pipe area) but I cant imagine doing that because I don't think I would ever get it cleaned out properly and why would you? The only benefit I see to it is possibly using it to hold drip or water pans under brisket.... but then it seems the tuning plates would get in the way. The only other "option" I think I really like is the gas assist. That looks like a nice feature. As you can see I am starting to narrow things down and I want to thank you for your assistance. I actually like the idea of the vertical that you can start up and just forget about it until you need to take off the food and I may end up adding a small one to the back yard but right now it just doesn't seem to fit as well as the offset smoker does. Thanks again and please feel free to offer any suggestions you have.

Glad I could help, sounds like you've got a plan and a good one.
I will say I never really use the gas assist. A good bed of hot coals from a chimney starter and splits on top of that and you'll be good to go. Enjoy...

Glad I could help, sounds like you've got a plan and a good one.
I will say I never really use the gas assist. A good bed of hot coals from a chimney starter and splits on top of that and you'll be good to go. Enjoy...

Yep! Looks like you're focusing in. Just to add, about a year or so ago you couldn't possibly give me a stick burner for free. I loved the set and forget cookers but after I went to a pig pickin' party last year at a brethren's house and tasted that pork I was sold. Nothing will come close to the flavor profile of a stick burner. Just like I say if you want something real nice you gotta work hard for it and it goes the same for good q. I absolutely love being involved in every aspect of cook now.

I ordered the charcoal basket as well but I have yet to use it and if I were to go back I think I would not have ordered it. I also had Chris put in probe holes, bbqguru ports to use with charcoal and again I have yet to use them. I went against the seasoned stick burning guys' advice and I put those accessories anyway just in case but I can tell you that they were not necessary at all. But I'm a young buck so I have to trip a few times before I learn. :becky:

Instead of gas assisnt I actually went with a weed burner. Not because of price or anyting but to also fire up my other cookers when I need to. Works like charm. Just something to keep in mind.

Back