New Rockin' W backyard pit

Texan79423

Take a breath!
I traded off my assassin 24 pit to finance a offset. Outdoor chef in Lubbock suggested a Rockin' W. Ray with Outdoor is a comp cook and know pits so he and I ordered pits a couple together.

Daniel with Rockin' W in Hurst Texas builds Jambo clone pits. insulated cabinet smokers, back yard pit. Beautiful trailer pits, back yarders, gravity feed cabinet smokers all are well designed and well built. Daniel takes great pride in his pits and his work is superb and he really cares about your satifisfaction.

The pit is 4'x24'' 3/16 cook chamber and 1/4" 20'20' ID insulated fire box. Like a Jambo you adjust the pitby setting the intake and adjusting temp/flow with the exhaust flue.

The frame is 2x2" tubing #9 expanded metal shelf below and #9 grates with 1/2 tube frame. Not angle iron used. Fire door and cook doors have leak tight gaskets. She 12 inch rear solid rubber wheels and 4 inch front lockable caster on front. Pit is heavy and built like a tank to last a lifetime.
ing air
The pit is different than most in that to fire box intake is higher than most and is covered. The pit draws air in instead of it just blowing in and reduces ash in the cook area. The is a 2'x12'chute inside the door that directs incoming air down to the grate and heats the incoming air as well. This really aids in faster recovery when adding splits.

With the insulated fire box you build a really small(too me) fire and add splits to maintain coals and heat. A small fire heats it to 25-275 in 20 minutes or so. You just crack the intake 1/4 inch and adjust exhaust to raise or lower temps. It is amazing how quick it will adjust temps.

I season her yesterday for @ 4-5 hours just see how and what it takes to control temps. After 6-8 beers I think I got it all figured out. I was impressed as there were no leaks any where.

Daniel with Rockin W even called me to see if I needed any help and if I liked the pit. The guy really cares about his customers!

I am hard to impress but I am very impressed with the pit.Think I'll cook on it today!

Last edited:
Forgot to add I used maybe 4# of lump and 3 smaller splits to season over @5 hours. petty fuel efficient pit design. Pit seems to like 250-260 range for a real clean blue smoke burn

Nice looking pit neighbor, I am just down the road 90 miles. Throw some beef on that thing and get her dirty.

I' can't see the pictures either, but I've met Daniel a few times here in Alaska. His pits are good quality and the owners seem very happy with their choice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they met my requirements.

Back