New pellet smoker recommendation, current RT300 owner

Shawn

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I have a Rec Tec 300. It is time for an upgrade. I need something larger, and would like something that can deliver more smoke flavor. I am expecting to spend at least $1,000, hoping to spend no more than $2,000. I will tell you what I like and don't like about my current setup, and hopefully you can use this to make some recommendations for me. To be clear, many of the things are not the RT300's fault, I knew I was purchasing a small grill, and a grill without wifi, etc, so some of that is not meant to talk the grill down, I am telling you those things to help paint a better picture of what I am looking for.

What I don't like:

Finish - The finish outside of the grill started flaking off at the 6 month mark, and that led to the metal rusting. When I purchased the grill I also purchased, and use, a factory cover.

Size - I could use a larger grill. I can't put anything within 2-3" of the edges or it gets fried. Maybe it's that way with every pellet grill??? In addition to the usual pork shoulder, brisket, steaks, vegetables, etc I like to smoke jerky, deer sticks and bologna so having racks, or room for aftermarket racks, would be a plus.

Smoke flavor - I had a UDS before this grill, the smoke flavor from the UDS was far superior to this grill. I think the biggest issue is the drip pan pushes the smoke around the meat and the large openings at the back of the grill allow the smoke to leave quickly.

Monitoring - I would like a pellet grill that offers wifi monitoring. This is not a deal breaker as I would be happy with a FireBoard 2 which would get the job done for me.

What I do like:

Warranty - I have had a couple issues with the grill, one issue was the fan went bad, and they sent the new parts quickly and without hassle.

Set it and forget it - I had to babysit my UDS to keep temps steady, not needed with the Rec Tec, it is able to hold temps extremely well.

Maintenance- Very little maintenence required with this grill. I clean the ash out after several smokes, scrape the drip pan off every once-in-a-while, and that's it.

My suggestion would be a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. Check out their Facebook owners group and you will see a bunch of happy users. Many do the jerky, sausage etc.

Some of the best features are pull out racks for both the top and bottom. Plenty of room on the top rack height wise with the domed lid. Extremely heavy duty construction. It’s a US made pit, and they are customizable. You can get ahold of Pitts and have them add extra racks to your build if you are really into jerky. One of the dealers on their Facebook owners page is into jerky and had a multi rack Mav 2000 setup with many extra racks. That was a Jerky making machine.

The Pitts and Spitts is right up their with the Mak grills for producing good smoke flavor. The Pitts requires a bit of seasoning before the smoke really starts coming out.

Mak is another one to check out, but they might burst your budget to begin with. Its a more versatile pellet grill for searing meats than the Pitts and Spitts though, but in general a bit smaller. Quality wise about the same.

An alternative to the pellet grill would be a good insulated cabinet smoker. Most are set and forget (especially if you add a temp controller) and give a more pronounced smoke flavor in general.

Last edited:
I went with a Yoder 640 awesome smoker. Will always be leagues above the old Traeger thin metal rust bucket we had. Pellets will not have the same smoke flavor as anything that accepts real wood chunks. Check out Yoder with its Integrated FireBoard Controller. It’s is awesome.

I went with a Yoder 640 awesome smoker. Will always be leagues above the old Traeger thin metal rust bucket we had. Pellets will not have the same smoke flavor as anything that accepts real wood chunks. Check out Yoder with its Integrated FireBoard Controller. It’s is awesome.

Yoders are nice also. I second this one to look at. Maybe the best current WiFi setup as it’s a Fireboard model. Tank machine and very versatile.

Another option would be to wait a little longer for Lonestar Grillz to release their pellet pooper. It looks like it hits all check points, and their won’t be a better built unit than this. They have some pics on their website now. Fireboard WiFi on this one also.

So here is a running list:

Pitts and Spitts Maverick
Mak 1 Star General
Yoder Ys 480 and YS 640
Lonestar Grillz soon to be released

There are certainly others to consider. Rec Tec Stampede and Bull and Camp Chef Woodwind are some of the better import models. Cheaper than the above also (although not in the same heavy duty class as the models listed above).

Lots of great suggestions, thank you! I will research those pellet grills and see what I come up with.

I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. Very well built and American made. It’s easy to use. Easy to clean. Pellet hopper dump. Holds 35 lbs of pellets. Uses about a 3/4 to 1lb pellets per hour. Set the temp and the Maverick will stay within 5 degrees of setpoint.

I can't recall, but can you control the controller over wifi on the Yoder?

If you aren't happy with the pellet grill smoke you can always look at a WSM with some sort of controller if you want. More smoke flavor and from what I read with the controller it seems to be set and forget. Will also come in well below your budget .

I doubt you will ever come close with any pellet smoker wanting a drum smoke flavor, read too many posts from folks with all brands of pellet smokers searching for more smoke flavor to suggest any pellet smoker. I love mine but the wife cant take a lot of smoke any more.

A lot of the suggestions so far will push you north of $2000. From your original post is sounds like the bigger wants are more space, wifi and smoke flavor. It also sounds like you would prefer something stainless. Yoder is painted so you will still be dealing with paint/rust issues, but it is a good cooker. Pitts and Spits is a really good cooker but expensive.

Honestly, you should strongly consider the Rec Tec 700. Instead of the back vents, it has a smoke stack so smoke would stay in the chamber a little longer. It has wifi with 2 probes built in. And it is much larger than your current grill. You can also add a cold smoker as an option. And it is all stainless so you don't have to worry about paint/rust issues. With your stated budget, it checks all the boxes. If you stated a budget of $3000, I would have added some more options like Mak 2 star.

Smoke flavor is a tradeoff with pellet grills. It is all relative.

Well everyone, after much research and consideration I think we have busted the budget. I am leaning toward a Mak Two-star General. I am having a hard time stomaching the price, I believe they are worth it, but it's a lot of money for my pocketbook. I will do more research and maybe Mak will throw out a black Friday deal that will push me over the fence.

As a fellow 2 Star owner, I’d encourage you to look at the MAK’s as an investment rather than a purchase. You are not going to wear out a 2 Star. Best all around grill/smoker I have ever owned... and I have had my fair share :)

Not saying that MAK’s are the only good option... cuz that ain’t true. I am saying that from smoking to grilling the MAK is a very hard to beat, solid and versatile option!

Regarding Black Friday sales, you’ll typically see $200 off through Big Poppa’s Smokers. This year should be no different.

Love my MAK. Was waiting on the LSG Pellet and gave up when the MAK group buy came up. My LSG IVC is a tank. Next purchase for my new outdoor kitchen will be a LSG Santa Maria grill. You'll be beyond happy with the MAK. If you decide to wait on the LSG I bet you'll be happy with that.

While it won't help you with your size or paint problems, tell us what pellets you use and we may be able to steer you to a better pellet for favor purposes.

Also, if you don't use a smoke tube, one of them would help add more smoke flavor.

Most(all?) pellet grills have a perimeter you need to avoid cooking over.

Don't be overly concerned about the thickness of pellet grills. Thickness has good points and bad points. As long as it's sturdy enough to last a while you will be ok.

Last edited:
Joe, I am using Lumberjack Competition Blend (MHC). I did just pick up bags of Char Hickory and Mesquite which I will try. I have a smoke tube but I haven't noticed a significant difference. My smoker is small enough where most of the smoke from the smoke tube may go out the vents. Maybe I should try putting the smoke tube under the rack in the bottom of the grill.

Based on what you described, I would highly recommend the Masterbuilt 1050 Gravity. It runs hands-free like a pellet grill, but uses lump and wood. I think it's exactly what you are looking for. Check it out! Plus, you will have $ left over to buy a cover or some accessories!

You're using a good brand of pellet but it is a blend. You might try a 100% variety, like their hickory.

Also, if you are not already doing this, cook at 200°F or less for an hour or so to get as much smoke as possible and then go up to ~225° for most of the rest of the cook. Pellet grills do produce more smoke at low temps.

Back