New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

I have only seen pix and there is not much user info out there on the All Star, I was sold on the O/U and it is about 1/4 the cost of the All Star until I noticed this design change.

I had to go to Waco yesterday and I had some time to kill between appointments so I was on a cheap ammo hunt Academy, Cabellas, & Gander Mountain, When I was in Academy I went to drool on an O/U and I noticed something.... a design change:shocked:! Gone is the ability to regulate the heat from the FB with an adj baffle , there is a fixed baffle welded in on the inside, IMO this will be a major draw back. While It may be cheaper to manufacture It seriously limits the pits abilities. This was a big selling point to me. I guess I'll have to take a looks see at the ABS All Star

?????? :confused:There never was an adjustable baffle between FB and Cook chamber that I ever saw (look on page 1 of this thread) Just adjustable slide intakes.

This plate/baffle has always been welded in place.

Last edited:
Right before Christmas I was at the Acadmey in Killeen they had 3 sitting out front that called to me from the truck all three had an ADJ damper the 2 I saw in Waco last week didn't BTHFSOOM

Thinking about ordering one of these without seeing it in person since Academy doesn't have stores in the northeast. I had a couple of mods in mind. I thought maybe a fixed second shelf could be installed full length, about 12" wide and about 5-6" above the main shelf, or maybe a rotisserie (or both). I would definitely upgrade the coal basket to 3/4" expanded metal and attempt snake/minion method with lump. I saw some saying you can't use charcoal in a stick burner, but this is actually a charcoal model that people have been using wood with (or so the Academy listing says). So I think you could probably get a pretty long burn with the right setup. I thought I saw a post somewhere saying the stock coal pan is 11x28", can anyone confirm this? I would still be fine running it on mini logs/splits and keep it tended if I needed to. Anybody loaded one of these up yet?

Thinking about ordering one of these without seeing it in person since Academy doesn't have stores in the northeast. I had a couple of mods in mind. I thought maybe a fixed second shelf could be installed full length, about 12" wide and about 5-6" above the main shelf, or maybe a rotisserie (or both). I would definitely upgrade the coal basket to 3/4" expanded metal and attempt snake/minion method with lump. I saw some saying you can't use charcoal in a stick burner, but this is actually a charcoal model that people have been using wood with (or so the Academy listing says). So I think you could probably get a pretty long burn with the right setup. I thought I saw a post somewhere saying the stock coal pan is 11x28", can anyone confirm this? I would still be fine running it on mini logs/splits and keep it tended if I needed to. Anybody loaded one of these up yet?

Old Country does not have very good Qaulity control if any -so some are sloppy and some are decent - as long as you can deal with/ fix sloppy/sprung doors. I haven't seen any Old Country's I couldn't fix or work with but some are pretty sloppy.

I don't think they would run well on Charcoal but I don't have one. Academy doesn't know the difference between a charcoal cooker and a stick burner - they are Idiots ( and I like the Store). :mrgreen:

If one of yall are able to run one on charcoal please post your results here.

Anybody else get one?

I keep waiting to see if they go on sale, to pay for the freight cost. But if not, I am planning to go down to Jacksonville, FL in May and I will strap one on my pickup. They seem to be the best idea for a "real" smoker but not too expensive.

Back