New offset, now time to learn!

elm

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hello fellow BBQ enthusiasts! I'm pretty green when it comes to Southern BBQ, you'll have to forgive me, I was raised and live in Idaho, and most folks around here think "barbecue" is either (a) a propane grill or (shudder) pellet oven that sits on your patio or (b) hamburgers and hot dogs. But I'm bound and determined to bring real Southern BBQ to my table, and for that purpose purchased a used offset smoker from a guy here in Nampa. It was an answer to prayer as I had my heart set on an LSG. But for $500 I couldn't pass up this one. It was made in Garden City, ID four years ago by an outfit called "Outlaw Smokers". The company still exists but at this time they're only manufacturing pellet poopers. Thought I would share pictures of it with y'all, and also ask for your favorite YouTube channels to learn from. So far Malcolm Reed is my favorite. Thanks in advance for your advice/thoughts!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Good on you.
Get a digital thermometer to check the temp at the grill.
Move it along the cook surface from fire box end to stack end to see how the temp runs.
Compare to the built in therm.
I see the opening from the fire box is below the grill and the stack is above.

I can't stress enough taking temp readings at the grill level where you put the food.
Then you know.
good luck

• Thanks
Reactions: elm
Outlaw Smokers (not to be confused with the company with the same name located in Indiana) makes a good product. There is a poster (haven’t seen around for a few months) named ttkt57 that has one of their pellet poopers, and it’s a very nice rig.

https://www.outlawsmokers.com/
This is the Idaho Outlaw Smoker company, that primarily makes pellet grills. They also make the grills for their sister company Sawtooth Pellet Grills.

https://outlawbbqsmokers.com/
This is the Indiana Outlaw Smoker company that makes high end stick burners. These things are extremely nice.

Your stick burner looks to be a well made product with some thick steel. Should treat you very well. Plus it is made local to you by a good outfit. Not much better than that. Congrats.

Very nice. I'd have no issues with that sitting on my patio.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Thanks
Nice and congrats! Best piece of advice I can give is don’t sweat the tenp swings. As long as you are between 250-300 and burn a small, clean fire, you will be good. A kindling cracker xl will be worrh it’s weight in gold as it is much better to burn small splits and add more often than it is throwing a big log on the fire to get a longer burn time and you et acrid, nasty smoke. Good luck and share some pics of your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks
I dropped by the forum this morning after a long break (a month in bed with COVID, other challenges I won't go into) and here's a thread about Outlaw Smokers (Idaho) and somebody mentioning me!

A few thoughts:

1. Nelson White is still very much in business and continues to make not only pellet smokers but all sorts of one off custom items from fire pits to stick burners to hybrid BBQ trailers. He also provides the best local customer service I know of; came by my house once to drop off a shelf I ordered.

2. Nelson's website is over two years out of date. This may be because he's too busy doing local custom work, or it may be for some other reason. Whatever the case, the website (as of September 25, 2021) doesn't provide a good representation of what he's doing.

3. Nelson's pellet cookers are as good or better than the competition. I will never go back to a pellet cooker without an ash clean out door.

4. There is no need to disparage pellet cookers. They have their limits of course, but they also have their strengths. I grew up in Texas eating the best stick burner and actual pit-in-the-ground BBQ on the planet, so I know how it compares with the food coming off the pellet cooker on my patio. There's a difference, but it's not the kind of difference that justifies contempt for pellet cookers. My family and I love what I cook on my Outlaw pellet smoker.

5. $500 for Nelson's little stick burner was a steal. Wipe the outside with WD-40 or motor oil from time to time, keep the fires small and clean, and in Nampa's dry climate it ought to last 30 years.

Last edited:
Hi Bill, thanks so much for all of the helpful information! Good to know! And it's great to see someone else from Idaho on here chiming in. Your pellet *smoker* looks fantastic!

And my sincerest apologies to any of you (including Bill) I may have offended with my comments regarding pellet cookers. The last thing we need right now is more division and while it was not my intention to upset anyone I can see how my comments were offensive.

Last edited:
And my sincerest apologies to any of you (including Bill) I may have offended with my comments regarding pellet cookers. The last thing we need right now is more division and while it was not my intention to upset anyone I can see how my comments were divisive.

No worries. True, my comments were "triggered" by your first post, but they were addressed to a wide group of unnecessarily critical pellet cooker poopers. It's all good. Let's go cook something tasty on whatever kit we've been able to afford or have enough interest in to include in the budget, let's not look down our noses at anyone else or their tools, and let's keep sharing ideas and recipes that will make our families smile at dinner!

Come over to my son's house where he and his special forces Marine Corps buddies are cooking with one, and tell them that in person! :-D :p :wink:

Chit………. I’d tell them while eating their Sissy food and drinking their beer with them while Thanking them for their service. :heh:

Chit………. I’d tell them while eating their Sissy food and drinking their beer with them while Thanking them for their service. :heh:

You would fit right in!

But first there would need to be some sort of, uh, initiation . . .

I dropped by the forum this morning after a long break (a month in bed with COVID, other challenges I won't go into) and here's a thread about Outlaw Smokers (Idaho) and somebody mentioning me!

Good to see you back Bill. Cheers to your COVID recovery.

Back