New Member- Just built first smoker

tinspark

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
tin
Hello,
Tinspark here. I just recently built a new stick smoker (reverse flow center feed) with the assistance from a bunch of cool members on a smoker builders site. But...…..I have not had much experience with actually using one. I fired it up last week, seasoned it , did a couple of test burns. My 16 year old son came by and smelled the cook chamber after a few test burns while I wass dialing in temps and figuring out fire management a bit, he said " Man that smells good!". I ended up smoking a couple of steaks that evening (that's all we had in the fridge, and they turned out great. I have done plenty of cooks on my propane BBQ out back. Love tri-tip on the spit.. I noticed this site was more geared for cooking tips and had a bunch more recipes and stuff, so I thought that I'd give it a go.. Have some baby backs that the Mrs picked up and watched a "Malcom sumpin' sumpin'" video and will try his method tomorrow. Took a few notes as I watched his rib video. After the cook, I'm taking the coal bed and throwing them in the firepit afterwards and have been hounded by one of my daughters to do some smores (marshmallows, chocolate bars and graham crackers). Looks like my day is full tomorrow!!
Good to be on this site. Hope to learn a bunch. Not much of a chef, spent 30 years in the metal fabrication business, and can build about anything. Now the older I get the more I like the idea of slowing down a bit and doing more backyard stuff with family and friends. Am in the process of building a second larger smoker, so maybe I'll post the progress as that gets off of the ground. This site (hopefully) will help a bit with a few new much needed skill sets

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona.

Welocme to the forum.

Fair warning, this place can be hazardous to your waistline and wallet!

Back