New Humphrey's Pint - break in questions.

SoCalSmoke

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
John
Hi folks, I have been lurking for a while and this is my first post.
I should be receiving my Pint this week!
I wanted to ask the group about breaking it in. I ordered the Stainless interior, face plate and doors. While I surely need to burn it in for a couple hours to remove and manufacturing oils. I figured I would just wipe down the inside with a damp cloth to pick up any debris. I'm assuming I don't need to spray it with cooking oil to season it since it's stainless. Anyone have any tips? Anything else I should do? I was thinking I might spray some cooking oil just into the top where it opens to the insulated walls since that's where it likely transitions to carbon steel. Same with the firebox, I'm assuming that is all carbon steel. Do people spray that with oil to season & prevent rust.
Any and all tips welcome. I'm so excited to start smokin' in this box!
Thanks.

I am really jealous. I have been looking at these for years. Never could pull the trigger. But because I was recently on their website I saw this (https://youtu.be/Lb_EH0toD5I) video showing seasoning a new Humphreys smoker. It isn't from them directly but since they posted it on their own website I figure that they probably essentially endorse the content.

I am really jealous. I have been looking at these for years. Never could pull the trigger. But because I was recently on their website I saw this (https://youtu.be/Lb_EH0toD5I) video showing seasoning a new Humphreys smoker. It isn't from them directly but since they posted it on their own website I figure that they probably essentially endorse the content.

Thanks, I have seen that video and was thinking it couldn't hurt to do a stainless interior.

I'd wipe it down & spray cooking oil on it. Jealous about your modifications. I got a basic model Battle Box a while back. While I love it I do wish I had either sprung for a slightly larger model OR had a few small mods done to it. Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Will be happier when I get it to a permanent location. As of current I keep wheeling it from my basement to my driveway for cooking sessions. Wherever it gets planted next should be where it stays for a while.

In addition to the BBQ iT video linked above they have info on their website. In addition it should come with some pamphlets from Humphrey's about seasoning it & general upkeep.

You might consider enlisting a friend for helping you get it off the pallet it comes shipped in. If not you'll have to build a ramp & navigate it down yourself which can be a bit tricky given the weight of these bad boys.

I will say there is a bit of a learning curve with the amount & placement of wood in the fire box. The IVS burns stupid efficient so if you can frontload your wood accordingly or toss it in as you need. I don't have their poker tool, but I did get a similarly decent one on Amazon for relatively cheap. Also I found an alternative supplier for covers that was cheaper than theirs(with options) by googling 'custom grill covers.'

Hope you're excited! You're going to be stupid happy with it.

Hopefully this will be you soon:
0866gfKl.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your new smoker. I've had mine for almost two years and I love it. Holds temps like an oven and a full basket of lump will typically last 14 to 16 hours at 275. I use a disposable pan in the water pan (no water) so cleaning is easier. Happy cooking!

I'd wipe it down & spray cooking oil on it. Jealous about your modifications. I got a basic model Battle Box a while back. While I love it I do wish I had either sprung for a slightly larger model OR had a few small mods done to it. Otherwise I'm super happy with it. Will be happier when I get it to a permanent location. As of current I keep wheeling it from my basement to my driveway for cooking sessions. Wherever it gets planted next should be where it stays for a while.

In addition to the BBQ iT video linked above they have info on their website. In addition it should come with some pamphlets from Humphrey's about seasoning it & general upkeep.

You might consider enlisting a friend for helping you get it off the pallet it comes shipped in. If not you'll have to build a ramp & navigate it down yourself which can be a bit tricky given the weight of these bad boys.

I will say there is a bit of a learning curve with the amount & placement of wood in the fire box. The IVS burns stupid efficient so if you can frontload your wood accordingly or toss it in as you need. I don't have their poker tool, but I did get a similarly decent one on Amazon for relatively cheap. Also I found an alternative supplier for covers that was cheaper than theirs(with options) by googling 'custom grill covers.'

Hope you're excited! You're going to be stupid happy with it.

I'm definitely excited! The smoker arrived at the shipping center yesterday and I'm waiting for them to schedule the drop off. I'll definitely be reading any instructions they may include and am hoping I get my brother over to help unload.

I use a disposable pan in the water pan (no water) so cleaning is easier. Happy cooking!

Definitely planing on disposable pans to help keep things clean.
I bought a full size pizza stone to put on the bottom instead of the water pan as it seems most people seem to be happy running it dry with fire bricks.

Back