New BBQ Sauce label design (Opinions wanted)

The over all feel is goo but the BBQ is spaced out too far. It may be the only thing that works with that illustration but it's too airy.
Prefer the old label myself. Nothing wrong with changing the word rub to sauce.

My immediate reaction is I like the first version of the label much better. As someone else observed, the animals on the first label help to frame your brand name while they partially obscure your name in the second.

Having said that, I have to admit I'm not at all a fan of the presence of the animals on either label. On the first, there is a wide disparity in the attitudes of each animal. The pig looks heavily medicated, the bull extremely fierce, and the chicken’s pose looks like it has a chip on its shoulder. A definite hodgepodge of attitudes there.

The animals on the second label share the same cheerful attitude but strike me as looking more like lovable Saturday morning cartoon characters. They look more at home as mascots on a cereal box. The label’s juxtaposition of the strong, bold colors and font faces against the smiling cartoon-ish characters seem to me to be the result of differing points of view about the design of the original label and that led to a compromise that, like most compromises, made no one happy.

I keep coming up with this central thought that I'd like to run up the flag pole. Just how necessary to the label’s purpose and your brand’s identity are the animals in the first place?

Unless a cartoon animal or animals are going to be an integral part of your brand's name or identity or have been in the past, I believe their inclusion needlessly adds noise and clutter to the label.

The average consumer, by default, is already going to subconsciously equate the use of your BBQ sauce to cuts of pork, beef, and chicken. This makes the use of these cartoon animals (with the requisite dilemmas and debates about the proper postures and expressions to use) completely redundant.

To my mind, leaving the animals off altogether would give you a cleaner, much less noisy space on the label to get your primary message across about what your product is.

White space attracts the viewer’s eye and the mental image I have of

Smokehouse BBQ

in bold colors against the white background (and without the cartoon animals to clutter the image), definitely jumps off the label.

Then again, as Dennis Miller used to say, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

At any rate, this has been an interesting mental exercise and good luck.

Good luck with your endeavor.

PBP

Last edited:
I agree with taking the animals off altogether and trying that. And changing the words so the sauce doesn't list rub ingredients (kidding... I know that will change) :)

I may be too late, but I strongly prefer the old label. I prefer the over all look, and I prefer each individual animal.

In particular, I have always liked that bull. If it were me, I would keep the original label, and strike the pig and chicken.

I like the old one a little better, I can see merit in both designs but there is something about the cool looking pig and chicken that I really like.

I may be too late, but I strongly prefer the old label. I prefer the over all look, and I prefer each individual animal.

In particular, I have always liked that bull. If it were me, I would keep the original label, and strike the pig and chicken.

Its funny, I never noticed the other two animals in his logo until this thread. The bull really gets your attention.

An important question that has not been asked is why are you changing the logo/label?

Was there something about it that you didn't like?

Is in response to comments received?

The answer might provide some insight and evoke more responses.

I like the old label.
The new label is ok... but could you shrink the treatment of "BBQ"? It would let "Smokehouse" fill a more prominent space, and you might be able to move the animals down just a touch with the smaller letters. Let the "S" in smokehouse show through completely. I like the newest cow treatment also... nice medium.

An important question that has not been asked is why are you changing the logo/label?

Was there something about it that you didn't like?

Is in response to comments received?

The answer might provide some insight and evoke more responses.

Why change? Well, I just wanted to see if there might be a better idea from the artist who designed this. I'm not necessarily going to make the change but I am just testing the water so to speak. I know the animals have attitude in the original label and I like that. But I also wanted to see what it would look like if the animal's attitude were more opposite. I want my label to be a selling point because many people will see it amongst so many other sauces that something needs to jump off the shelf at them and get the buyer's attention. I am still working on it. I wish I had started a poll in the beginning, oh well.

Okay, one more. Thank you to everyone who chimed in here. Here is one more and I will try and lay off you guys.
bbqlabel2.jpg

6 of one half dozen the other. I don't think it is different enough to warrant the change.

Heck if you want to change it, really change it, but the new one is basically the same as the old one.

i would use an brighter yellow to give it shelf pop

i like them both but the yellow needs to be brighter

york

I like the old one, Theres no way that a Pig , Steer and a Rooster can old up those letters and a Ribbon. There Hooves are on backwards : )

Back