My UDS build

I agree with the chicken wire not lasting. Ya might want to think about beefing up the grate too. Over time, that will most likely bend from the heat of the coals.

After paint and assembly of most of the hardware.

Ready for another burn. This time with the basket I made. I'll test it for durability and heat with about 4# of coal and some wood chunks.

Looks good. I've started planning to build my own UDS. Where'd you get your barrel from?

Thanks

Prob not a smart question(story of my life), but why is there only a regulator on ONE of the bottom vents?

rb

No worries mate.
One intake is controlled by a valve for gentle temp adjustments.
The other two are capped when necessary.
If you look closely at the picture you'll see the cap on the brick near the pipe.
As I read here in hundreds of posts this is the way to go.

Looking great man! I have a barrel sitting in my garage waiting for me.....just need to find the time and stop loading myself with other projects

Did you get that firebasket fixed?? That galvanized wire isn't going to last.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not yet. It worked the one time I lit it for a test. It didn't break up but I'm sure it will. I'm looking for grates now. Can't find a supplier for weber parts here. So I took mrwhale's advice and I'm searching for a local metal shop. I'll use them to improve the fire basket as well. Just need the time to make calls and drive around on weekdays. But then there's the work thing...

Looking great man! I have a barrel sitting in my garage waiting for me.....just need to find the time and stop loading myself with other projects

Hope you do brother. BTW you got me hooked on sweet baby rays. I found some stores here that sell them. If you need a refill on spices just let me know :grin:

Ofer I just used my barrel yesterday and laughed at how - once you set the temp -
you can just walk away until you need to wrap or pull.
Chug CHug CHug.
Get some 9 gauge expanded metal for the basket, 18" in diameter or so.
I made my own by bending it into sort of a square shape, it's the worst looking piece of crap basket - but it works!

OferL, a little off topic, but when in Israel years ago, when I got a coffee, the was what was called "Hel" in it. What is "Hel" made of?

Hope you do brother. BTW you got me hooked on sweet baby rays. I found some stores here that sell them. If you need a refill on spices just let me know :grin:

Will do! Ive enjoyed them so far. I think this is my next project. Its about time that I do a fun project rather than a big one on my house. I need some "me" time! Youve inspired me!

OferL, a little off topic, but when in Israel years ago, when I got a coffee, the was what was called "Hel" in it. What is "Hel" made of?

It's a spice used in some arab countries in coffee and some soups. Not all coffee is served here with Hel. In fact you only get it in arab and yemen restaurants or buy a coffee mix. Yemens call it Hawayeg.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elettaria_cardamomum
If you miss it I can send you some!

Not yet. It worked the one time I lit it for a test. It didn't break up but I'm sure it will. I'm looking for grates now. Can't find a supplier for weber parts here. So I took mrwhale's advice and I'm searching for a local metal shop. I'll use them to improve the fire basket as well. Just need the time to make calls and drive around on weekdays. But then there's the work thing...

http://www.weber.co.il/

They have a list of 5 location at the bottom of the page. Have you tried any of them?

http://www.weber.co.il/

They have a list of 5 locations at the bottom of the page. Have you tried any of them? I've been having trouble finding round grates at my local hardware stores also.

Update: I finally got some luck. Maybe.
I was at s friend's house and he said he was throwing some gear. I asked to have a look and I found 2 big round grill grates. I think they'll fit right in my UDS. But first I put them in deep grease remover to get all the gunk and dirt.
Once they come out I'll see what I got.

The grates turned out perfect size.
I added handles to one of them. Sprayed the whole inside with oil and started a fire and started a fire to season and do some temp checks. That's just paper burning.

Soon I had smoke. A little too heavy for cooking I think.
I used ~1kg of lump coal and one wood split.

BTW I added a hanger for tools and grates and two holes for meat hook bars.

About 15 min. later with a closed lid all vents open I got a steady 130c/266f on the top grate and 150c/302f on the bottom. That was ~7pm.
At 8pm I closed two intakes. Temps dropped to ~100c/212f on the top.
I opened one of the intakes. Temp were 110-120c/230-248f on the top grate and ~130c/266f on the bottom grate. That remained steady until 12am. That was 5 hours of steady temps with so very little coal. I was impressed.
At 7am this morning, 12 hours going, I still had heat of 70c/158f. :shocked:
When I opened the lid there was a smell of oil which wasn't nice.
Maybe I used too much oil. I think I need to burn hotter to get rid of it.

Back