My T&K Small Gravity Feed Review

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Texas Pete
After speaking with Todd at T&K and then with Louis at the St Louis BBQ Store I pulled the trigger on the small gravity feed the St Louis BBQ Store had in stock. Shipping was very reasonable and the crating they do is almost too good. The best part is that the crate was put together with screws. No sawzall or crowbar required.:clap2: They also included detailed instructions on how to get the top off the crate via 8 screws so it could be inspected for damage before the delivery driver could have time to leave. Also included were your rights as the recipient and what the driver could and could not do based on the condition of the crate. I don’t know if other builders do this but it sure was helpful to know.

It arrived Monday with no damage and all I had time to do was run home inspect the cooker and then run back to work. When I got home I slowly removed the cooker from the crate. A couple of the screws were really tight but other than that it was no issue at all. The cooker feels really sturdy and well built. The paint is some special ceramic high heat stuff and it shines brightly. I wiped it out then used my ash vac to get the dust and residue that was still in the crevices. It took a whole can of Pam to get her oiled and rubbed down.

Sucks to have your new toy delivered Monday of a week when you can't get off early even 1 day.:mad:

Todd and the St Louis BBQ Store are the best to work with. Really easy to order and pay. They crated the same day and shipped the next. They both answered all my questions in a reasonable amount of time. This little cooker is very solid. It's got a lot of weight but it moves around very easily. I bought one they had in stock. The 1"insulation is not too bad but you can get thicker if you want. The St Lous BBQ Store's shipping is reasonable and they crate it very well. T&K's welds are nice. I was concerned as in some of the videos they looked a little rough but that may just be the video or how I see things after owning a shirley.:becky:

I was going to get a red or boring black one but I didn’t want to listen to smitty again. :heh:

Tuesday: Did a slow seasoning. Bottom rack is 25 degrees hotter than the top once it settles but they are pretty even side to side. From the biscuit test I couldn't tell any difference from biscuits on the same rack. My RF cabinet is 15-20 degrees different on top and bottom racks but it's much bigger so I'm not too concerned about 25 in the little gf. It's much better than 50-100 I've heard from other GF owners. I have not tried using water in the pan. I didn't care for how ro lump smelled in this cooker. I didn't use an atc to stoke the fire. Did the fatty before i shut it down and it was a little too smokey from the way the ro burned.

Saturday: Did my first real cook. It ran a whole lot cleaner with an all natural briq. I didn't measure the charcoal but I'm guessing a pound or less per hour. The outside of the cabinet gets 140-200 running at 325 with 1" of insulation. The area around the fb door is over 400 but that is probably the same for all GF cookers, right? I'm used to touchable temps with 2" in my cabinet smoker. It responds faster than my cabinet to intake adjustments. It starts going up or down within 5 minutes. My cabinet cannot go down 1 degree in under 30 minutes. Got a big ring on my pork ribs with only a few small pecan chunks. I'm guessing I wasted a lot of fuel getting up to temp. Probably would be smart to preheat the cc with my weed burner. Found out it comes up to temp quicker with the fb door open...duh. took under an hour to get up to temp by starting it with my small torch for 60 seconds and 2 starter cubes in the ash pan. had the ribs in a pan on the top rack. That made the bottom and middle racks run within 5 degrees the rest of the time...seemed odd to me. Opening the door results in a drop in temp for 5-10 minutes. I've only done 1 cook but I'm getting it figured out. Temps pretty much stay where you set the ball valve and it is super responsive to adjustments. Don't see a need so far for an ATC. Almost forgot, the paint color is called Chevy grey and it is really, really nice. Very happy so far.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I am a little excited.:twitch:

Took a few pics...

Front 2.jpg

Ash Pan.jpg

Back Close Up.jpg

Charcoal Grate.jpg

Chute 1.jpg

Crate.jpg

Crate Inside.jpg

Crate Wheels.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

Firebox.jpg

Front Open 1.jpg

Intake Ball Valve.jpg

Side 1.jpg

Top 1.jpg

Congrats! Excellent write up and pictures :clap2:

Very nice, do they use beads or lump charcoal?

Thanks guys. They recommend lump but the ro I have just didn't work. I don't know if it has absorbed moisture or just operator error. I had much better results with HEB grand champion briquettes. I didn't have another lump to try.

That's a great looking cooker.

I've been following T&K on Facebook for quite a while, that guy makes some cool smokers at what seems to be a great price.

I think i need pictures of what you call lump or RO
enjoy your toy mate

I just want you to know, that have personally hugged that smoker twice. Had I not opted for the Humphrey's Pint, I would have purchased that one. I needed a smoker that was more portable for comps.. You did great!! Congrats!!! That thing is a beast

I have a medium gravity feed from T&K and I have also had poor results with ro lump in mine. I stick to Stubbs briquettes as I cannot get the lump to burn clean. Always get heavy white smoke that results in greasy black film on some of the food and an off flavor to me.

That's an awesome review. As you know I'm considering this line of smokers for competitions. Please keep us updated as you continue to tinker with it more.

Thanks again, that's one sweet looking rig.

That's a great looking cooker.

I've been following T&K on Facebook for quite a while, that guy makes some cool smokers at what seems to be a great price.
He's a laid back guy and he competes so I kinda thought he would know a little about making a cooker that works properly.
I think i need pictures of what you call lump or RO
enjoy your toy mate
download.jpg
Congrats on a fine new cooker Paul.
Thanks! After staring at it all week I'm really liking the design/shape and the paint.
That's a sharp looking pit.

Love that diamond plate on top.
I wasn't sure about the diamond plate at first but they said that they add it because you always end up placing stuff on top and it eventually gets scratched all up. I'm sold now as it can be replaced and it's growing on me.

Last edited:
I just want you to know, that have personally hugged that smoker twice. Had I not opted for the Humphrey's Pint, I would have purchased that one. I needed a smoker that was more portable for comps.. You did great!! Congrats!!! That thing is a beast
As long as you didn't go beyond 2nd base I think I will eventually get over it. :shock: I can understand the pint being easier to move but ive nearly dumped my cabinet over several times as it's tall and the casters are inside the frame. Be careful! This thing has a wide wheel base. You would really have to want to knock it over. The only knock is the 2 fixed casters make it a little difficult to move compared to the 4 swivels on my cabinet. The good side is its not prone to spinning out of control.

I have a medium gravity feed from T&K and I have also had poor results with ro lump in mine. I stick to Stubbs briquettes as I cannot get the lump to burn clean. Always get heavy white smoke that results in greasy black film on some of the food and an off flavor to me.
Good to know it wasn't operator error. I use ro lump to start my shirley and for high heat like steaks in the weber. 1st problem I've ever had with it. Never tried in my cabinet as the builder recommended briquettes and they worked. The biscuits were definitely grey and had a flavor that was not good. Anything else I should know since you have had yours longer?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Man I've been drooling over those myself and have contemplated making the trip to St Louis for one. Sweet new cooker. Can't wait to see it loaded down.

very nice cooker and have been looking into one of these and the Saint Louis BBQ store is only a 3 hour drive down the road .

Are you using a temp controller? I had a Guru with the pit vipor fan on a Southern Q Limo. My initial heat up time was pretty darn close to 2 hrs. I just switched to the Pit Bull fan and I'm now up to temp in 40 minutes. Recovery times are very quick as well.

Thought I'd pass it along.

Todd

Back