My ribs are dry????

Can you get a probe in that smoker to compare actual vs set temp? I am not familiar with that electric smoker but I have seen other electric smokers with a vent hole at the top through which you can thread a probe.

Otherwise start spritzing regularly after about 45 min to keep the surface of the ribs moist and wrap in foil with a little liquid (apple juice, honey whatever) once you have the color that you want. Agree with above posters that you won't be done after 3-4 hours at a true 225, unless you are buying the mother of all shiners.

I wonder what the convection is in an electric, never having used one. If you have too much hot air moving around it it could dry out, especially at higher temps.

I cooked backs over charcoal and apple yesterday for 4.5 naked at 225+- ,1 hr wrapped and 30 minutes on the gas grill. They were perfectly moist with no water and nothing added. Even then another hour wrapped might have been just a little better.

I wonder what the convection is in an electric, never having used one. If you have too much hot air moving around it it could dry out, especially at higher temps.
My guess is that it's more dependent on the air flow of the individual cooker as opposed to the heat source. I have cooked on Cookshack commercial electric smokers and they are good at keeping meat moist because the air flow is very low (can hardly feel a draft holding my hand over the top vent hole).

Before I knew what smoking was I gave away for free a Restaurant Cookshack, like 2'x4' interior. sheesh. Probably $2-3 grand....

I've made Plenty of KickAzz Spares in a Masterbuilt Electric. Spritzing don't make them moist- add a lil flavor and may help keep edges from charring. Finish cooking them next time - till a bamboo skewer or ice pick glides thru between the bones with the greatest of ease......

Last edited:
Try putting an oven thermometer on the grate while you cook to make sure your temps are what you think they are. I've never owned a master built but I know someone who does and his cooker consistently runs much much hotter than the temp gauge on the door reads.

My experience with ribs and brisket is the same.....if I “wrap by look/color and rest by feel” they turn out perfect and NEVER dry....NEVER. No matter cooking temp or cooker or anything....as far as chicken or turkey.....pull at 260-265 breast temp and it is perfect overtime.......for me anyway...

My experience with ribs and brisket is the same.....if I “wrap by look/color and rest by feel” they turn out perfect and NEVER dry....NEVER. No matter cooking temp or cooker or anything....as far as chicken or turkey.....pull at 260-265 breast temp and it is perfect overtime.......for me anyway...

Im assuming you mean 160-165?

I agree with Smitty. Meat like ribs, brisket, chuck roast, etc. becomes moist and tender via the cooking process. Sounds to me like they weren't cooked long enough. If they were overcooked, they would of fallen apart.

The moistness and tenderness people seek actually comes from within the meat as it renders out, and becomes "done".

I would also suggest an oven thermo or wired probe on cooking grate, so you get a better idea of how hot your cooker is running. I would personally be shooting for a cooking temp of 275-300f if you want your ribs done in 4 hours unwrapped.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, 225 IS NOT THE MAGIC BBQ TEMP.

Another vote for cooking hotter. Sounds undercooked and I think higher heat will help render that fat. 225* is for pellet cookers looking for extra smoke! :razz: :boxing:

My bad....missed the 225 for 4 hours. My experience is that the MES runs about 75 degrees hotter than set temp. That could be the issue. I smoke 2 hours then wrap for a while, usually 1.5 hours. Then open to finish

Are you talking about the digital MES? I am assuming so. Also which Gen? I have the 1st Gen digital with the glass window. Ive never had a problem with the set temp being off too much (always have my igrill 2 ambient probe in to compare) but it does tend to over shoot alot, especially if you have to open the door or mess with the damper to adjust the air flow. I use the amaze n pellet smoker tray aswell.

Back