My new Shirley

thanks for all the compliments guys. That rig holds temp great.
FC BBQ, the cheesecloth holds the bacon on the bird while still letting the smoke through.
Timmy Mac, I WISH I could have gotten the insulated box. Just couldn't spring for the extra $$$ at the time..

Congrats! Awesome looking pit, awesome break-in cook.

Not only do them Shirleys build top of the line pits, they are top notch people!

Hey Harbormaster, I cant wait to have you cook on it. I could just sit back and let you roll.......
Hopefully this summer I will do the Battle Frog in your neck of the woods and we can fire it up!!
Miss you Brother!

Awesome Smoker! Nice job on the birds, looks great.

Awesome looking rig. And an amazing first cook.

They have taken a while to grow on me but I'm starting to love the cabinet doors. What are the sizes if your racks?

Awesome looking rig. And an amazing first cook.

They have taken a while to grow on me but I'm starting to love the cabinet doors. What are the sizes if your racks?

I changed my order to cabinet doors. The racks should be the same size as the regular bottom rack with the exception of the top rack at the curve of the cabinet. Mine will be a 24x50 with 4 racks and have around 50% more space than a 24x65 standard model. think you would have to go 24x85 or larger with regular doors to get the same amount of space with 2 racks.

I changed my order to cabinet doors. The racks should be the same size as the regular bottom rack with the exception of the top rack at the curve of the cabinet. Mine will be a 24x50 with 4 racks and have around 50% more space than a 24x65 standard model. think you would have to go 24x85 or larger with regular doors to get the same amount of space with 2 racks.

psht...who wants to open regular doors...f that! easy open and close ftw!

What's the spacing going to be between your racks pjtexas1?

What's the spacing going to be between your racks pjtexas1?

Take out the 2nd and 4th racks and I have 2 racks with 10" of clearance.

6" (butts)
---------------
5" (brisket)
---------------
4" (chicken)
---------------

Some asked for specifics on grate size and spacing. After a crazy work week, I finally got time to measure:
[middle rack: 63x20 ]
[--------7.5in---_-----]
[bottom rack: 63x27 ]

Finally got her moved to the patio this morning.
A little tough with 6 inches of snow still here!

Hey Harbormaster, I cant wait to have you cook on it. I could just sit back and let you roll.......
Hopefully this summer I will do the Battle Frog in your neck of the woods and we can fire it up!!
Miss you Brother!

It only took two and a half years but I finally got to cook on my bothers Shirley.

We cooked for a company picnic in Carol Stream IL on Friday and Saturday. The plan was to cook for 300 people, but not nearly that many showed. Needless to say they had a ton of leftovers.

Let me tell you about this Shirley:
Incredible craftsmanship.
Picture perfect welds.
Rock solid temps.

Temps left to right in the cook chamber were consistently within 10 degrees. Even when we opened the baffle to the warming chamber horizontal cook chamber temps were spot on and the warmer temp was almost the same as the main cook chamber. During the overnight portion of the cook we only needed to feed it every 75 minutes.

An incredibly well designed and well made pit.

When the time comes for me to get a trailered pit, it will be a Shirley.

Last edited:
With all the "I'm on the way /just got back from Shirley to get my smoker", I find it damned cool that there has never been a bad word mentioned- that's a really big deal in today's world.

Fine looking cooker- I would not ever expect otherwise.

That's a great break in- a far cry from "a fatty- cause that's all had ready"

Back