My bark has no flavor

DSCN1825.jpg

No foiling for me either, sometimes I do place a small rack in a half foil pan to catch the juice. Trimming the fat cap sounds like a great idea for the next pork butt cook though.

Bark has no flavor

I posted something a little different but a lot of the same yesterday,in ( flavor enhancer for pork).I have the same problem! My bark looses flavor if I wrap, but I've been adding flavor enhancer(s)to the foil to bring flavor back. My best flavor is my bark ( I always trim some off before I wrap and judge my flavor) but as soon as I steam it in foil my flavor flattens off! If I inject inside of butt,it taste better,so that issue is better, not great! I'm been looking for that happy medium, flavor inside and out with decent bark without baby sitting my stick burner for hours and hours, so I've excepted that it may be easier to wrap and add flavor enhancer to the foil for final result. I've tried cooking over water pans and cooking hot and fast, I believe the hot and fast is more goof proof because less chance of bad over smoked food! I would really love to find the recipe that just wows everybody, right off the pit with no foil! Even the "Pitmasters" on T.V. Foil like there's no other way, Yes I know there's a time line to follow. But do they have great flavor?? Maybe I'm just wanting more than I should expect.

I'm sorry if I'm off topic but I think we're asking similar questions.

Woodburner

I guess I'll swim against the current here. I foil my butts. I inject my butt with a mixture of apple juice, vinegar, salt, and sugar and let it rest for a couple of hours for the fluids to stabilize. I pat it dry, then rub it with olive oil or mustard as a binder, then give it a generous coat of rub. I cook at 275* for three hours, then remove from the smoker. I place it in an aluminum pan and give it a light shake of rub again. I put some apple juice in the pan, cover with foil, and cook to a temp of 200*. The pan is removed and drained, then the butt gets a coat of pork glaze, a light coat of rub, then back on the fire uncovered for 30 minutes or so. Don't have any complaints.

Back