THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
This may seem silly to talk about but there is a bit of a story to my ash bucket.

HzFXxRr.jpg

This bucket took me 1 month to acquire. I went to every hardware store and such trying to find a metal bucket. Due to this plague we have been dealing with, none were to be found. It is 6 gallons, galvanized and has a nice sealing lid. The aluminum Weber kettle plate fits just nicely inside the bucket lid to pour the ash into it.

I could of easily had a plastic bucket. Lots of those around and 99.999% of the time it would be ok to dump ashes in, but it just takes one time for a piece of hot/burning material to end up in the bucket and I could have a big problem...plastic bucket catches on fire, results in wooden deck on fire and finally the house going up in flames. I know this is taking it to the extreme, but I just wasn’t comfortable with plastic.

To acquire this bucket, I had to order it online from a vendor in the USA (I’m in Canada) that typically only sells to large contractors, companies and the such. However, they gladly sold it and shipped it to me. So I ended up paying a few extra dollars for my piece of mind. If anything hot/sparking/burning goes into this bucket it will either safely burn out or be smothered by the ash and the tight sealing lid depriving it of oxygen. Furthermore, the tight sealing lid keeps the rain and snow out so I don’t end up having to deal with an ash slurry that I can’t readily dump in the garbage bin.

I have the same kind. It works great in all respects, but my lid is way tight. I cross measured and it was 3/8" out of round when new, so I worked that out, but it's still tight, which is better than being too loose.

Nice seen a picture of a fellars garbage can melted the other day, close call plastic dont like leftover hot coals

Funny you say that. Yesterday I was wheeling out my garbage bin to the curb just as the garbage truck was pulling up. They had a melted bin on the back rack of the truck. I ask the guys “what happened there?” The guy replied “hot charcoal coals.”

Worth the effort Brother. I only empty my ash when it's time for the next cook. Same with the fire pit especially. It can take a couple days for that to burn down. Be safe!

When I found my used Lang 36 for a few hundred dollars the seller included a very similar bucket free of charge. Even had an ash scooper inside of the bucket. You have made me feel even better about the deal I got on that.

What do you do with your ashes afterward? I usually dump the ashes and charcoal debris on our compost heap. Lots of potassium and phosphorus. Great fertilizer.

Back