My 1st ribs. The Story

All I can say is WOW!!!. Thanks for all the comment and tips. I'm gonna have to print this all out.

Re: Fire grate high. It is about 4-5 in.

Re: Remote probe. I've got one of those and I used it to check my lid mounted thermometer and it's pretty much dead on.

The over all problem I think was the length of time I had them on.

I need to invent a non-smoke sticking glass lid for smokers.(don't anyone steel my idea) lol

Nonthink,
You've got some great suggestions from the Brethren on how to cook those ribs. Good stuff. We also have tried the Minion top down burn on an Oklahoma Joe offset and had similar problems. The trouble we found was controling the air flow. For my next pit I decided to build a burn basket out of expanded metal. It made a nice flaming towering inferno that sent the pit into overdrive. While red glowing cast iron is mighty pretty to look. It's not to condusive to slow smoking. Again the problem was controling the air flow. The next basket I built was out of a 25 gallon food grade steel barrel. We cut a 3 inch air hole on the side near the bottom leaving enough room for two ceramic bricks to hold up the bottom grate, to give the ashes someplace to go. We found we were not getting enough air flow and as a result not enough heat. We then took a 30 inch long and six inch wide piece of expanded metal and bent it into a U shape to stand up vertically over the air hole. Now there is air flow top to bottom inside the barrel. This proved to be just enough air flow to allow for a slow burn. We fill the barrel about three/forths full of kingsford with large chunks of wood mixed in. We are getting between 12 and 15 hours of consistant heat and smoke. To drive the heat down we made a swinging cover over the intake and covering opening at the top with a piece of sheet metal. If you need more heat open up the intake and slide the sheet metal on top of the barrel over to allow more air flow. You might try a version of this on your offset. Good Luck. Don't you just love Barbeque Engineering.

Trying to hard

Hey man, you are trying to damn hard...Just relax. First thing make you a nice brown sugar rub the night before and rub on the ribs, wrap them in plastic wrap really good and put them in the fridge, the meat will liquify the rub....Next morning start your fire, start the fire slow, its easier to work up than down, grab a beer and tell yourself its 5:00 somewhere....Next, sear your ribs on both sides, this will harden that brown sugar rub just enough to create enough of a shell to hold in the moisture....throw away the fruit sprayer and grab another brew let the ribs cook low and slow the rest of the time only open the lid once every couple of hours................This will work I have done it millions of times..Good luck

What they said.
Relax and let the smoke roll (sweet blue that is)
Ribs do prefer blues tunes (Pink Floyd aint blues but I like em, so that means the ribs like em)
As you progress you will learn to look and feel versus time and temp
Relax
Reflect
Enjoy

From Ron L...

"On this point, however, I must respectively disagree. Ribs love the blues. period. End of discussion. "

That is also true.....

........But only if it's Blues Hogs!!!!!!!!!! Dang I love that sauce :)

Great advice and info exchange as always, we always learn something more.
Low and slow still works for me and the "flexibility of the rack" is one of my criteria as well.
Keep up the good work, it all gets better.
Tried to find a lyric re blues and ribs but there must be some Willie Dixon, Albert King or Elmore James out there somewhere.
Muddy?
Don't think Captain Beefheart is in the loop.

Man I am early into the learning curve and have learned there are no mistakes but instead experiences(hey I sound like BBQ Buddha)

Kevin said:
What they said.
Relax and let the smoke roll (sweet blue that is)
Ribs do prefer blues tunes (Pink Floyd aint blues but I like em, so that means the ribs like em)
As you progress you will learn to look and feel versus time and temp
Relax
Reflect
Enjoy

Don't remember their first names but Pink and Floyd were two old blues musicians that if memory serves correct that Sid Barrows and David Gilmore knew.

So me thinks that ribs + pink floyd = two good choices

g

Holy Crap, I forgot about that.

Pink Anderson and Floyd Council

So that settles it. You must play Pink Floyd if u want good ribs.

Back