Mid-week surf 'n turf

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Had a little special occasion to celebrate yesterday, so I went freezer diving and pulled out 3 small filet mignons and some gulf shrimp. The filets were from a whole tenderloin I bought on sale for something like $6/lb and broke down myself, shrimp on sale for $9/lb, taters are basically free, so I think the total cost per plate was < $10 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. There's really no comparison between farm raised shrimp and wild caught, and gulf shrimp are some of my favorite - such a richer flavor.

I felt like trying something new for the shrimp skewers, so I hit them with Big Poppa Smokers Bacon Jalapeno Rub - it was the perfect compliment to the shrimp, big fan of this combo.

The beef was marked "angus" on the package with no USDA grading on it, but when I cut the tenderloin down I found that it was nicely marbled and after eating some, it had great flavor...some of the best filets I've had in a while. Not bad @ $6/lb.

The filets took just under 10 minutes to cook on the Primo XL, then I put on the shrimp skewers for a couple minutes per side.

Gold potatoes + two smashed garlic cloves in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker for 10 minutes, then natural release. Mash, add one cup of whole milk, half a stick of butter, then blended with the immersion blender.

Shrimp is done!

Got all fancypants with the tater plating (corner cut off a gallon Ziploc bag lol)

Perfectly done to my liking.

Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

Last edited:
Had a little special occasion to celebrate yesterday, so I went freezer diving and pulled out 3 small filet mignons and some gulf shrimp. The filets were from a whole tenderloin I bought on sale for something like $6/lb and broke down myself, shrimp on sale for $9/lb, taters are basically free, so I think the total cost per plate was < $10 and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. There's really no comparison between farm raised shrimp and wild caught, and gulf shrimp are some of my favorite - such a richer flavor.

I felt like trying something new for the shrimp skewers, so I hit them with Big Poppa Smokers Bacon Jalapeno Rub - it was the perfect compliment to the shrimp, big fan of this combo.

The beef was marked "angus" on the package with no USDA grading on it, but when I cut the tenderloin down I found that it was nicely marbled and after eating some, it had great flavor...some of the best filets I've had in a while. Not bad @ $6/lb.

The filets took just under 10 minutes to cook on the Primo XL, then I put on the shrimp skewers for a couple minutes per side.

Gold potatoes + two smashed garlic cloves in the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker for 10 minutes, then natural release. Mash, add one cup of whole milk, half a stick of butter, then blended with the immersion blender.

Shrimp is done!

Got all fancypants with the tater plating (corner cut off a gallon Ziploc bag lol)

Perfectly done to my liking.

Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

Perfect plate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That plate is a thing of beauty. There isn't anything I wouldn't take thirds of. $6 lb for angus...unheard of here. btw...what do you have against butter "half a stick of butter" :laugh:

It’s what they recipe called for, and coincidentally, it was the exact amount left in the butter dish lol. It was Kerrygold if that makes you feel better. :becky:

Plate looks excellent.

This is my favorite cheap-o piping bag for most anything (filling for jalapeños, pig shots, deviled egg filling, etc.)! Never thought of doing it with mashed 'taters. Brilliant!

Back