Michigan Custom Que DAV Red Wings Alumni event

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
We held our BBQ for the Michigan Warriors DAV Detroit Red Wings alumni game this past Saturday.

Started on Friday by going to Rest Depot and picking up the food and supplies. Pulled pork, drumsticks, beans, mac and cheese, slaw and cake were on the menu.

Here is the first load from RD

I got everything home and unpacked. As I was loading the 80 lb case or pork into the back of my vehicle, I felt a small twinge in my back but thought nothing of it. A week earlier I had slipped on ice while at my cabin and fell flat on my back. But I was able to shake that off and after a week felt pretty good.

So I set out to get the pit ready for the butts, setup my tables and all my supplies on Friday. Even cut the grass. The plan was to get up early on Sat get the butts on and once they were done, foil and cooler them, tow the Shirley to the venue which was about 45 mins away, fire it back up and use that plus my teams UDS's to cook the chicken on. Dinner was after the game, we were serving about 8:30 pm.

So like I was saying I was getting ready Friday afternoon then disaster struck.

I reached for some spices on the kitchen table I was using to make my injection and felt another twinge in my back, but this was different.

I better lay down for a bit and take it easy. So I did, then I started having severe muscle spasms in my mid back area. Never had any back problems before.

Now I am worried. I better be able to shake this off!!!

It kept getting worse. One of my team mates Paul, (pgn here) and his wife were to drive down from there place in Northern Mi to help with the cook, arrive Fri night and get a hotel room near the venue.

As the night went on I could not move out of bed. Paul ended up coming to my place at 4 am, got the smoker going, and got the butts on. He has back problems and just had an epidural 2 days prior to the cook so he was not in the best shape for this

So at 9 am Sat I went to urgent care, was there until 2 pm, 6 xrays, 3 shots later they release me, the doc is thinking I may have a cracked rib but cannot get a good view of it on the xray. Turns out I did not have one but I am in such severe pain I cant do a damned thing.

So my team has to pick up the ball and run with it and boy did they!!

Oh on top of everything we got about 6" of snow during the day and evening

BIG THANKS TO

Paul (pgn) and his bride
Ebijack
Dean Moore (not a member here, but my best buddy who is also a DAV)
Mike Powers and his wife (mjpmap)
Dave M and his friend (I am sorry I do not know his name and did not meet him since I was not there in person)
my wife Penny
Oakridge BBQ for a very generous donation of rub
Shirley Fabrication for the donation of the smoker

Here are a few pics of the event

I would have posted this sooner but today is the first time since Friday night that I can sit up in bed.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20151125_094121_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_094121_01.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20151125_103529_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_103529_01.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20151125_093910_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_093910_01.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20151125_093923_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_093923_01.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20151125_094059_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_094059_01.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20151125_094043_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_094043_01.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20151125_093852_01.jpg
    IMG_20151125_093852_01.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hey Brian, thanks for the opportunity to help. It was great meeting the other guys and seeing the different cookers. Just a little extra explanation, the Michigan Warriors Hockey team is open to disabled vets. No matter the extent of their injuries, everyone gets on the ice. This night they had the opportunity to challenge Detroit Red Wing alumni. The best part of the night was when the Warriors recognized their goalie for his efforts. He promptly stood up with the aid of crutches and accepted a hockey sweater with the autographs of several Wings. He then explained that he took a hit from a Russian made rocket in Afghanistan in 2012 that scrambled him from head to toe. He has spent a lot of the time since in a wheelchair, and turned to the Warriors for help with his rehab. He has recovered enough that he is able to take to the ice now and play in goal. It was even better when his 7 year old daughter ran to the front of the room to give him a huge hug. Made our drive in the snowstorm seem pretty insignificant. Thanks again Brian for a great night, and glad you're getting better.
Mike and Marsha Powers

Hi gang first off Butt Burner I hope you are doing better. Yes it was a long day but the TEAM stepped up ( the WARDEN and I are proud to be a part of the TEAM ) and very honored to serve those who SERVED us. This is Jill aka Warden. Sorry you weren't able to make it, but we all pulled it off. Had lots of help and everyone jumped in do do whatever it took. Also met some new and great people. Awesome teamwork!

great looking Q right there!

on a personal note, from a currently active veteran of 20 years of Army Service......thank you for everything you, your team and all the assist you for the kind things that you do for this country's VETERANS.

my team is great

they stick with me through thick and thin

they may not always agree with my decisions I make on these cooks, some are not easy

they know the goal is to help those in need

and I truly appreciate each and every one of them for all their efforts

Last edited:
Back