?Methods for cooking prime brisket?

Looks like i have some ideas for the next one.

I loved sliced point but with the flat being so good that ends are an option.

I would like to try separating and cooking the point longer. I could try going higher heat but that would require a rework of my timing

Following this thread as I have two 15+ pound Prime packers I got from HEB for the Super Bowl at $2.86 per pound.

Thinking of starting the smoker around 3 am Sunday, on by 4 am (at 275*), start checking for tenderness around 185* IT. Going to use the Pitmaster IQ-120 as I will need my sleep. I figure they will be done between 12 and 2 pm, rest and then slice before I leave for the game.

I wouldn't bother probing until IT is at least 195. Reason being higher grade beef usually gets to temp quicker and probes done at a higher temp than choice or lower grades. Just my $.02. Have fun!:thumb:

As others have said, once the flat gets probe tender, separate the flat from the point (spend a minute or two and scrape off all the fat still on the point end where they originally connected and season with a little bit of rub or montreal on the part that had no seasoning) and stick the point back on for a few more hours wrapped. You shouldn't need more smoke by this time, and wrapping will help render more of the fat while no allowing for it to dry out as easily either.

Unfortunately in my area price goes from $2.46/lb to almost $8.99/lb for choice. I havent even bothered to source "prime" in my area. Honestly, at that price, I would rather buy a slab of short ribs for $3.99/lb which will blow any brisket out of the water. Of course, this is my opinion.

which part of PA you are located. $8.99/Ib is way to much. $4.90 for prime is available in NY. My supplier is 7 cases about 2-3 in each for $4.90 all USDA prime

Trim the point fat as much as you can. I am not a fan of separating the point from the flat. Burnt ends is a must in any comp

Get one prime and one choice, one flat and one point, some trimmed and some untrimmed and do them all at the same time and make the comparison yourself. Your family will not have to spend any money on food for the rest of the month.

I find that Prime and Wagyu points are very rich, I can really only enjoy a slice or two. Depending on how each cook goes, I will separate the point and cook it longer once the flat is done.

Okay, I am back on my computer, here has been my experience, in general, I feel that the point takes longer to be properly cooked than the flat, due to the fat requiring additional time to render, this being my feeling even with Choice packers. To some degree, I feel I can predict the amount of time by taking a small slice off of the point, and seeing if what I see is mostly lean with veins of fat, or mostly fat with threads of lean.

On the Creekstone Prime grade briskets I have cooked, the point has been rather balanced, which means I can simply cook the entire packer a little too long for the flat, and the point will be perfect. However, the SRF Gold label was so heavily veined in fat, it was almost more fat than lean. I made the option to overcook the flat considerably, versus removing the point for additional cooking. I assumed, correctly, that the flat was going to be so moist, the additional cooking would not affect end product negatively.

However, on Select and Choice, no matter what, you can't go long on the flat, it won't hold up and it gets cottony. So, I either opt to go with slightly under-cooking the point, or separating the point and cooking it for another 30 to 60 minutes. I feel that this optimizes the total cook.

I think the reason many folks don't like the point sliced, or prefer it as burnt ends, is that they are buying in to the adage that the point cooks before the flat. My experience, across many briskets, is that is not true. It turns soft faster, and remains more tender for a longer time. However, the additional fat and connective tissue in point takes a little longer out of the stall to still render. Because of my preference for serving the point and underlying flat as one slice, I typically cook to perfect the point and underlying flat, while allowing for the flat to be overcooked (in Prime and Wagyu).

Last edited:
I find that Prime and Wagyu points are very rich, I can really only enjoy a slice or two. Depending on how each cook goes, I will separate the point and cook it longer once the flat is done.

Our old supplier demanded that we purchase the flats with points. Charged us for the prime $6.99 for the flats and $3.99 for the point. So we dropped them and went for the whole thing.

Our old supplier demanded that we purchase the flats with points. Charged us for the prime $6.99 for the flats and $3.99 for the point. So we dropped them and went for the whole thing.
I don't separate before cooking. I separate when the flat probes tender and done. Then I separate, in fact, if I think the packer is done, I put on my BBQ gloves and insert my hand between the point and flat, if the point doesn't lift off, then I know it isn't time to pull the flat. A cooked packer flat will come clean of the point without a knife normally.

I really prefer, as noted above in my edits, to serve the point and underlying flat as one slice. That is the best cut of cow off of a brisket.

Sometimes, sometimes I just slice it. Depends on my mood :-D If I do make burnt ends I separate the point and cook it for a couple more hours, rest it, cube it, sauce it and put the cubes back into the smoker to set the sauce.

Ron, when you cook the point a little longer, do you foil it and keep track of the internal temp? If you do, what temp do you take the point off the flame?

Back