Brisket Hold Time Too Long?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
At what point is a brisket hold time too long?

I was looking to finish some briskets tomorrow evening which means I would be looking at an almost 20 hour hold...

I would probably “undercook” them slightly if I were going to hold that long. What device are you planning to hold them in?

I would probably “undercook” them slightly if I were going to hold that long. What device are you planning to hold them in?

My oven has a "keep warm" setting.

Last time I did this it help the brisket at 160F on the dot. Eventually the oven shut off while i was sleeping and brisket temp dropped to 140F but I just turned the oven back on and it very slowly brought the temp back up to 160F.

Around noon i would bring it to my parents and hold in their warming drawer. I can keep it around 150F in there..

What is your hold temp, and at what temp are you taking it out of the cooker?

The last time I held it for roughly 16 hours I took it out when it was probe tender (203F)

I let it cool down to about 140F then put it in my oven on "keep warm" which eventually brought the temp up to 160F and held it there...

My oven has a "keep warm" setting.

Last time I did this it help the brisket at 160F on the dot. Eventually the oven shut off while i was sleeping and brisket temp dropped to 140F but I just turned the oven back on and it very slowly brought the temp back up to 160F.

Around noon i would bring it to my parents and hold in their warming drawer. I can keep it around 150F in there..

Most modern ovens have a 12 hour auto-shutoff timer...knowing it happens at 12 hours you can make sure to set an alarm to wake up, turn the oven off, and then back on.

I watched a YouTube video, I believe it was Meat Church, and if I'm not mistaken, it was about doing a Blondies-style brisket cook and hold. It's been a while but they took it up to 190 internal and held it for 12ish hours at 160 and said that as long as the internal did not fall below 140, you could hold it even longer. If you did a search on YouTube, you should find a lot of info on the subject.

I watched a YouTube video, I believe it was Meat Church, and if I'm not mistaken, it was about doing a Blondies-style brisket cook and hold. It's been a while but they took it up to 190 internal and held it for 12ish hours at 160 and said that as long as the internal did not fall below 140, you could hold it even longer. If you did a search on YouTube, you should find a lot of info on the subject.

Yeah I've successfully done 16 hours...not sure if another 4 on top of that is too much.

I decided to just do the overnight cook. Don't want to risk ruining Thanksgiving dinner haha.

I can try this experiment another day

I would suggest learning to cook the brisket without having to hot hold. It's a bit old school, but really simplifies things. Pilots fly overnight, train engineers locomote overnight, doctors do surgery overnight, select pharmacies are open overnight, law enforcement and other first responders work overnight. Unless you have a medical or physical malady, why not get up early or stay up late to cook. You can also buy cooked brisket at local BBQ joints, which is the ultimate easy.

I cooked a brisket to 200º, let it rest to 160º, poured tallow on top and wrapped it in butcher's paper. I put it in my Masterbuilt cabinet at 160º for 20 hours, and it was the best brisket I've ever cooked.

no need to turn to YouTube. all the info for hot holding briskets is right here on this site. hot holding was popular here before it was a social media craze. restaurants have been doing forever but they weren't suggesting to do it at home like we do

Back