Messed up the chicken on my OTG

165 is the USDA recommended temp for doneness in poultry. Course they say 130 for beef but you take your brisket to 205 because that cut needs it. Same with chicken on the bone.

I'd ditch the foil, cook a little hotter and go a little higher on the IT in the chicken.

Don't give up, Mike. You'll get her dialed in.

Mike I hope you don't mind but you can do this on your kettle. The final product will leave you speechless how good it can be. I'm a believer in higher temps to really render the skin and the tendons etc... These things will just fall apart tender and dripping inside.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWB5NgigbaM"]rotisserie chicken quarters: OctoForksâ„¢ fit most grills/smokers rotisserie spits - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
dont worry about the grease dripping down it all washes out. if you are getting too much build up hose it out. if you really are that worried put a drip pan under the grate. only time i use foil if if its right over the coals and im trying to control flare ups but i poke holes in as to not kill airflow.

dont worry about the grease dripping down it all washes out. if you are getting too much build up hose it out. if you really are that worried put a drip pan under the grate. only time i use foil if if its right over the coals and im trying to control flare ups but i poke holes in as to not kill airflow.

I'm not worried about it, just learning it.

Very Nice indeed! I could do the WSM gig but trying to Master the OTG for smaller cooks.

I'm hearing a wide variance in doneness temps. I suspect that has something to do with length of time cooking and at what temp. I've heard everything from 165* to 190*. That's a pretty big swing.

I've been using The Big Easy Oil less turkey fryer for years for chicks and turkeys. I take whole birds to 172* in the deep breast and never had a problem. Done to perfection. Just trying to Master the OTG....and I will.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Do the same on the kettle. You know what you like.

Mike I hope you don't mind but you can do this on your kettle. The final product will leave you speechless how good it can be. I'm a believer in higher temps to really render the skin and the tendons etc... These things will just fall apart tender and dripping inside.

rotisserie chicken quarters: OctoForks™ fit most grills/smokers rotisserie spits - YouTube
Played with most ways to do poultry over fire. There's pretty much no substitute for a rotisserie to get it right.

bMMUU0K.jpg

Mike, here's a pic of your grill cooking a spatchcock chicken :biggrin1:. I always went indirect with a foil pan on the coal grate. You could ditch the foil pan too but I dont like all that fat dripping in the ash catcher. I think your biggest issue was the foil on your grates. As far as temp goes I use 165-170° in the breasts. Usually the leg and thighs will be 185-200° when the breasts are done like others have mentioned. Cook anywhere between 325-350°....

The chicken isn't done yet in the pic but you'll get the idea....

Attachments

• 20150214_195804_zpsf9kka5z4.jpg
    20150214_195804_zpsf9kka5z4.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
Down here the big chicken (whole or parts) IS NOT GOOD!!!!......I truly find my fav is around a 3 1/2 pound whole birds spatchcocked......foil goes underneath IF you want to....top of your chicken had wonderful color!..... I bet you nail it next time!!

I take my dark meat to the mid 190s, and try to pull white meat when it hits 155-160.

Dark meat has a lot more fat, connective tissue, etc. When all of that renders, it provides plenty of moisture for the meat. White meat on the other hand is pretty lean, so I try to time it so the temp reaches 165 after the rest.

Chicken really is 2 completely different meats that I treat as such. This is the reason I don't cook full birds any more. I always part them out.

Clarke. Please at least light a match under that bird.

:tape:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I can say that I've always made great tasting chicken on the Weber (including the grill I gave Mike which is in the picture). Great tasting chicken, I believe, is what Mike is looking for based on his OP.

He's been given a lot of good advice. I'm sure he'll have it nailed down quickly.

Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking some of these bigger birds just don't cook up so well. It's possible it just needed more time despite reading 165*. This "gamey" taste you speak of I get every now and then and it's just not very good IMO. Recently I've been trying to get some fresh/never frozen chicken. Even if a chicken is not frozen in the bin, it's possible it just finished thawing out. I've hit up Sprouts and Central Market for fresher birds. To me they have a cleaner taste, but could be coincidence. However these fresher birds are either 5+lbs or under 4. For comps, 4.5lb is good, but I've discovered they are rare around here. I cooked these up at a local comp this past weekend. ~3.8 lb, cooked on a 18 WSM, semi-direct. Brined and injected! 9th place :)

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 69
Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I can say that I've always made great tasting chicken on the Weber (including the grill I gave Mike which is in the picture). Great tasting chicken, I believe, is what Mike is looking for based on his OP.

He's been given a lot of good advice. I'm sure he'll have it nailed down quickly.
Sorry for being facetiously vague. The fire in the angle of the pic looked kinda low.

Sorry for being facetiously vague. The fire in the angle of the pic looked kinda low.

No problem. The pic doesn't show the fire well but it was running about 320° at the time. I like that temp for chicken until I get about 30 minutes from being done then I open the vents to ramp up the temp to 350-375 to help crisp up the skin a little.

Here's the same bird a little later in the cook that shows the fire a little better

Attachments

• 20150214_222700_zpsbpwp5fsg.jpg
    20150214_222700_zpsbpwp5fsg.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 65
If cooking indirect, put catch pan on the coal grate under the chicken. If cooking direct, just let drip on the coals. Breast is done at 165, quarters need 190-200.
Have fun with your new toy!

Back