Memphis BBQ Restaurant

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Donnie
Hey All,

So I'm traveling for work and will be stopping in Memphis, TN for a night. I'm looking for a good BBQ restaurant in the area (my hotel will be off I-240 on Showcase Blvd). I'm not much of a pulled pork fan, and instead am looking for some good "Memphis Style Ribs" or some good brisket. Any recommendations from experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dang, I went there maybe 3 years ago and didn’t think it was that bad.

I was there in December and thought it was just fine.

I think BigDog was there last week.

I can pretty much enjoy BBQ anywhere, I don't pick a place apart for this "not being like mine" or "I can do better".

The Memphis dry rub ribs at Rendezvous had great flavor profile, light tug, and after an 8 hour drive, it was perfect and my wife and I loved it.

It's pretty much and institution and I would go just so you could knock it off your list.

This coming December we're going to Gus's, and to Central BBQ.

After a quick stop at FatBack Joe's, of course.

We had a little bit of BBQ on Beale street, but it was mostly like pulled pork nachos and other app items to munch while listening to the music. The Pig on Beale has some really good made to order pork skins. Would be fantastic to make pulled pork nachos with them, but the owner looked at us like we were nuts for suggesting it.

Which we found kind of odd because the pork skin nachos we first fell in love with were at Kingfisher in the NOLA French Quarter. There is definitely a heavy Cajun type presence in the food in Memphis, as they are very close just up the Mississippi. I had some fantastic red beans and rice at Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale, but nearly every place had it on the menu.

When people come to Chicago, they always want to go get Chicago pizza. I am not a fan. Maybe Rendezvous is like that, something the city is known for that you gotta try at least once.

Have a safe trip.

Memphis is, ... interesting.

You can see the bones of what use to be a great city (kinda like St Louis). The city is trying to revitalize things, and Central BBQ is in one of those pockets of revitalization.

So we check in at the Moxy on the main downtown hotel strip and I get out of the car and start walking away when I realize I have my car keys in my pocket out of habit getting out, and forgot to hand them to the valet. I turn around and hand him the key and say "Doh, I think you'll need this". He looked at me, looked at my car, then said "I could probably hot wire it".

Nice.

Being one of the folks who recommends Central BBQ, I've always been advised to eat at the one on Central Ave.

I've eaten at the Rendezvous a couple of times(Once on a work trip before I knew better and once to appease the GF) I only recommend it to say you've been there to check it off your bucket list. Whatever you do there don't have the 1/2 rib 1/2 loin platter. As little as I like the ribs I like the loin even less.

They run a good venue. Big, nice bar to wait in and drink before being rushed thru the 'raunt by waiters who get paid to push the over hyped ribs and by their turnover rate.

BTW, if you're at the right comp you may see Central there but I've never see the Rendezvous at one.

I've had hit and miss in Memphis. Most of the BBQ has been underwhelming. The first time I visited Rendezvous was about 10 years ago. I thought what they fed me were some of the worst ribs in my life, dry tasteless, with lots of seasoning sprinkled on top after cooked to give it a gritty-salty feel. Yes, simply awful. The second time was a year ago. I was on a BBQ binge with my wife, hitting about 5 places a day. I believe Rendezvous was the first stop of the last night in Memphis, followed by Gus's, then Central BBQ, then topping it off at a bar on Beale Street. We only included Rendezvous because it is an institution and I remembered the atmosphere was great -- I already knew how awful the food was. We had appetizers and a rack of ribs. We didn't discuss the food until we were done and my wife asked how it was. I told her they were some of the best ribs I had in my life and she agreed. They were completely different from the first time I'd went. They were tender, juicy, great flavor profile (Greek roots), and none of the dry granular feel of the first time. The only regret I have is that I didn't take any pictures. Maybe they had the first string show up when we were there the second time. From the reviews and my experience, you can either get really good ribs or really bad ribs. Either way, it's a great location and atmosphere.

Gus's? For me, it was good fried chicken. I enjoyed it, but I don't know what all the raving is about.

Central? Good BBQ, not great. I remember the fries were exceptional, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

I was in Memphis for about 10 minutes before I heard the first rattle of gunfire. I think I'll be bunkering down in my hotel for my short stay. Thanks anyways everyone.

Stick to the main streets downtown and you'll be fine. We stayed in the Residence Inn downtown, which had fabulous rooms and dead center. Rendezvous is like a block away and walking to Beale Street is no problem. There were a lot of police in that area and we felt safe. The first time I was there, I tried to meet up with Guerry (didn't work out). I ended up walking to Cozy Corner with some friends -- it was like 1.5 miles. Guerry told me I was lucky I was still alive and never to do something so stupid again. FWIW, Cozy Corner is alright as well. Ate there twice, first time was better than the second. The first time it was the best BBQ we'd gotten in Memphis. The second time I remember a LOT of sauce on things, but it had a different flavor, which was interesting and good.

Back