Marquette Heights, IL BBQ Brethren Benefit cook ala Chambersuac >>LOTS O PICS ---- PRON HEAVY<<

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
THE STORY

So there's two kids (Alex and Michael Tegg) in Marquette Heights, IL who's father recently passed away from cancer and who's mother is NOT doing well at all. Mom and the two kids live in the house that's been in the Tegg family for decades and they need to raise money to help pay off the mortgage so they can stay there.

THE EVENT

Dan Chambers (Chambersuac) was asked if he'd be willing to cook the pork for this event, which would sell pulled pork sandwhiches, chips or homemade potato salad, a homemade cookie and a drink for $5. All proceeds go to help the Tegg Family.

THE BRETHREN

Chambersuac (Dan)
Harbormaster (Clark)
Wampus (Kempis)

Two of Clark's boys (Joseph and Andrew) came down and were a GREAT help and addition to the team. Also, one of Dan's friends and churchgoers (Ray) also hung out and lended an extra hand when needed.

THE COOK

The "Fiery Furnace".....
IMG_3247.jpg

The spot where the ribs and other meats were cooked and where we "hung out".....mainly because that's the only place that had shade when we started!!:thumb:
IMG_3249.jpg

I arrived at the church at about 3 and Clark was already there. Prior to this event, we'd decided to not only cook various goodies to sustain the cooks throughout the night, but we also decided to do a little rib cookoff. SO.....Dan had picked up some spares on Friday morning and just after my arrival, Clark had his ribs prepped and on one of his WSMs. I fired up my SS UDS and then Dan's ribs were prepped and put on the bottom cook rack. Then I prepped my ribs and got them on. There was probably about 1 1/2 hrs difference between Clark's ribs and mine going on.

Here's how they all looked on the cookers at different stages....

Clark's ribs on his UDS after a couple of hours:
IMG_3250.jpg

Here are mine on the top rack of the UDS after about 45 minutes, rubbed with SM Cherry and Spicy Apple:
IMG_3252.jpg

And Dan's were under mine on the bottom rack. They'd been on about 1.5 hrs at this point at a little higher temp than mine:
IMG_3253.jpg

My UDS was brought up to about 275 when we first put Dan's ribs on. Since his were laid down and on the bottom rack, they got a little more direct heat and thus, I think mine were picking up less heat than I though, which caused them to cook a LOT longer than I'd planned.

After the ribs went on, MOINK balls and ABT's were prepped. Clark and Dan made up two different varieties of ABT's. Clark's were whole japs, seeded and deveined and stuffed with smoked string cheese and diced dried cherries and, of course, wrapped in bacon. I don't have pics of Clark's precooked ABT's as my hands were busy prepping Dan's japs. :roll: Dan's ABT's were prepped Divemaster style......japs quartered, cleaned and stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, shredded cheese (MJ?), pepperoni. I think I'm forgetting something, so I'll leave it to Dan to correct me.

Here's Dan making up his ABT's:
IMG_3254.jpg

Ah yes.....I was suprised too. Dan offered the VBS families at a recent fund raiser for the church that if they hit the goal, he'd shave his head. This offer shattered the goal! Imagine MY suprise when I got to the church on Friday to THAT!!!!

Dan's ABT's all prepped and ready to go on:
IMG_3258.jpg

MOINKS were skewered by Dan and on the WSM, under Clark's ribs....
IMG_3251.jpg

AND.....Dan also made up a new invention (at least to me). It's kind of a stuffed pork chop wrapped with bacon. Here's how THAT went down....

Boneless loin chop, seasoned with rub and stuffed with some of Dan's ABT stuffing:
IMG_3255.jpg

Rolled:
IMG_3256.jpg

And then wrapped with bacon....... you'll have to just imagine it, because apparently, something's up with that particular photo, because photobucket will NOT upload it.

And THEN......Clark brought out the tri tip!

Rubbed:
IMG_3259.jpg

Here's Dan putting on the chops and his ABT's. The trip tip was on the bottom rack of this (Clark's 2nd WSM):
IMG_3261.jpg

And then stuff started getting done, and none too soon.....we wuz HONGRY!!!!

Clark's ABT's:
IMG_3264.jpg

I REALLY liked the sweet element of these ABT's. The cherries were a great compliment to the saltiness of the bacon and the heat of the pepper. And the smoked string cheese......well, I mean it WAS smoked string cheese!!:roll::thumb:

Dan's ABT's:
IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

These were also good. I liked them because they were bite sized. I've done ABT's in a "boat" before, but not a "1/2 boat". Great idea. THANKS DIVEMASTER!

MOINKS.....
IMG_3265.jpg

And last but not least......the stuffed pork chop rolls:
IMG_3267.jpg

^^^^THESE did NOT suck!!! Just sayin.....:roll:

Dan's oldest son, Joseph, manning the WSM, with Dad's supervision.....:becky:
IMG_3260.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED ON NEXT POST........

Last edited:
And finally, the ribs came off......

Clark's came off first. I think about.......3.5 hours? His cooked at about 275d. The first rack off was given to a visiting Pastor from a nearby church. He took them home for he and his wife to eat. I believe that this was the first rack that was wrapped and taken away....:shock:

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

I THINK (correct me if needed) that these were Clark's 2nd rack that we tasted:
IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

NEXT off was Dan's ribs. They were.....shall we say.....SIMPLY MARVELOUS!
IMG_3272.jpg

No flash (it was starting to get dark)....sorry for the blur......:doh:
IMG_3271.jpg

FLASH:
IMG_3273.jpg

My ribs were still no where NEAR being done at this point. So, it was time to start prepping the 23 pork butts! It was definitely a team effort.
IMG_3281.jpg

Dan unwrapped.....
IMG_3275.jpg

I rubbed.....
IMG_3278.jpg

^^^^^That's Andrew, BTW.....Clark's other son that came and helped.....

Clark seemed to constantly be cleaning, washing and wiping down, which is always quite a task on this size of operation! Ray (tall guy, grey shirt....no good pics of Ray :doh:) and Andrew unloaded the cryovacs of butts from the coolers and Joseph manned my camera. GO TEAM!

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

Butts......rubbed with SM:
IMG_3274.jpg

After we loaded up the Fiery Furnace with pork butts, the tri tip was sliced:
IMG_3282.jpg

After that.......MY ribs were FINALLY done. They ended up taking about 7.5 hrs total!!!!

So here they are:
IMG_3284.jpg

Sliced:
IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

Worth mentioning......NO FOIL was used in the making of ANY of the ribs. All smoke, no foil.

Now here's where the photo documentation started to fall apart. Perhaps it was the Guinness :roll: (not really, but I'll use that excuse here) but I never got pictures of the butts on the smoker either pre or cooked.

The butts were wrapped in foil after about 3-4 hours on the smoke at about 300d, which was the cooking temp throughout.

Here's the OTHER thing.....we had a farkin PLAN!!!! At about 1:00-1:30, we (ALL OF US) decided to take shifts. Clark and I would get 2-3 hours of sleep while Dan and Ray would take the first watch. After that, Dan and Ray would get some sleep and Clark and I would do the last shift. We'd planned on being loaded and leaving the church to go to the place (about 40 minutes away) at 7:30 am. Sounds like a great plan, yes? RIGHT????

SOOOOO.....Clark and I retired to the church to sleep. Only......uhhh......I woke up and noticed the windows getting brighter.....checked my watch and WHAT?!?!?!?!! It was 6:00!!!! I jumped up (OK....no jumping was involved :becky:) and ran (ok.....no running either :roll:) out to find Dan.....ALONE in the kitchen.....breakfast cooked, meat off the smoker (all but 4 stubborn butts) and looking farkin tired as all get out! HMMMMMM......wonder why????

Well, after a fine breakfast of scrambled eggs, biscuits, hash browns, bacon, sliced naked fatties.....we set to work, loading things up and we were on the road promptly at 7:30.

THE VEND

When we got to Marquette Heights, we met the two Tegg kids (I'm SOOOO farkin horrible at names.....help me out Dan....:tsk:) and started setting up for the big event. Mike (a guy Dan knows) voluntarily brought over his Army Surplus Mobile Kitchen and it was set up. This thing was AWESOME!!!!

The layout:
IMG_3290.jpg

Here's Mike's mobile kitchen after setup (failed to get a "before" pic :tsk:):
IMG_3291.jpg

The flags were a-flyin!!!

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

And we had a fairly steady stream of folks after a little while....
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

The cooks (and their families) had to depart before all the meat was sold. Dan, did you ever hear how it all ended up? We were all glad to help others out that needed the help. ESPECIALLY if we can do it as BBQ Brethren and do it through great BBQ!!!!

And.....no.....I never got ONE stinkin picture of the pulled pork either! HEY.....I was BUSY!!!!:roll:

Here's a final departing group photo of the cook team and the Tegg kids:
IMG_3307.jpg

From L to R:

Andrew, Clark (Harbormaster), Joseph, Kempis (Wampus), Alex Tegg, Michael Tegg and Dan (Chambersuac).

Glad to have participated in this event. Good food, good times and good company!

Last edited:
Kempis,
Great job as photographer.
Thanks for coming again and all you did. Clark, that goes for you and your boys, too!
They didn't do as well as hoped in sales - 120 sandwiches - I imagine that they had a lot of meat left over! I think that they raised $820 dollars or so.
The kids, Alex and Michael, still don't understand why people that don't know them would help. I pray that they understand one day soon.
Thanks again, y'all.
The Brethren rock!

Great job, Brothers!

It's great to see God's given talents put to work to honor Him!!

Selfless acts like these make me proud to be a Christian and a member of the BBQ Brethren!

Fantastic, guys! :clap2: Nicely done, all the way around. Great cause, great grub, great pix, great folks. :thumb:

The kids, Alex and Michael, still don't understand why people that don't know them would help. I pray that they understand one day soon.

Cuz that's just the way we roll! :rockon:

Great job, guys!! I'm sorry that I missed this one but I didn't get home from the UK until 5 o'clock or so yesterday and then took Parsley lady out for her birthday!

I wish I had been able to make it but unforeseen issues reared its ugly head.

I will say this about the BBQ Brethren folk. I have had the blessing to meet and cook with several of you. It's amazing how different Brethren can come together and get along so well., even though we may have never met before I've never witnessed personality conflicts or arguments or any uncomfortable silence when we get together.

Jdoughboy, you would have had a good time, but we understand. Hope all is well now!!!

I agree Dan. I have yet to meet a member of the BBQ Brethren who wasn't COMPLETELY friendly and inviting into their camp. At a comp, I've been offered dinner, drink, a place to sleep, friendship, advice, and any number of different things.

I haven't met a brother yet that I didn't like.

OK......well, except maybe Ashmont. (I KEED, I KEED!!!!!)

I'm glad I came out to Manito last summer and got to meet you and other Brethren for the last one. If I'm able, I'll do it again any time.

Hey Dan......Shane asked about a paypal account. Any idea how that can be set up to help out the Teggs?

Clark.....a real pleasure to meet and cook with you too, brother. You've got some fine boys there. I think you and I are RIGHT ON with our parenting styles. Obviously I only hung out with you for, what....22 hours?.....but I watched and listened. Your family reminds me of mine. I would see my sons Kempis and Orion whenever Andrew and I were talking. And Joseph really reminds me of Guerin. We're DEFINITELY gonna make it up to the yacht club one day to visit.

ALL HAIL THE BBQ BRETHREN!!!!

Gah! Dan is nekkid! I never seen Dan in streets...

Great job Dan, Clark and Kempis and Clark's boys, good work and good will, always the best combination.

Back