THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Haven't really been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so I figured.. How hard can it be? Found 304 stainless (and 316 if that's any better?) in precut bars online for about 3.50 a piece, but shipping is ridiculous, so I wanted to do a test run first, see if what I had in my head would really translate to steel. Couldn't get stainless at the local hardware store, but they had regular carbon steel in the size I was looking to buy for about $3. I know the stainless will be harder and more of a pita than regular steel, but otherwise I think it will work. This steel is 1/8 x 1/2 x 24". I bent the last 3 inches back over. May look into going 3/4 wide instead of 1/2 but just haven't decided yet.

Any ideas, suggestions, things to consider are appreciated. I'm also thinking of adding a hole about an inch above the pointy end that could receive a stainless cotter key or small stainless rod as a stopper for use when hanging.

First I cut at a 45 and sharpened it on my grinding wheel.

Then I measured 3" down and put it in the vice. I hammered it down past half way.

Then I squeezed it in the vice.

And added the sausage rod from the Shirley

That's where I'm at. Going to order some steel on Monday, but I wanted to see what y'all had to say before I do.. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks!

Last edited:
What do you want to hang? Very nice what you made, and it will hold a brisket being shoved from end to end. If your going to do veggies, just get some alum strips from HD or similar and bend/twist those down near the bottom to keep food from sliding off. 1/8 or 3/16 rod will hang most anything you want without having to use flat stock. Mostly depends on what you want to hang.

Any ideas, suggestions, things to consider are appreciated.
!

Just an idea but this would probable work without being too labor intensive and make it very adjustable.
One more thing I would grind the angle point to an arrow point so the skewer doesn't try to push to one side.
p1365267321.jpg

Thanks guys. @ Ebjack, great idea, I'll order some stainless rod too. The steel is cheap, it's just the shipping that sucks. Might as well order a bunch at once

Just an idea but this would probable work without being too labor intensive and make it very adjustable.
One more thing I would grind the angle point to an arrow point so the skewer doesn't try to push to one side.
p1365267321.jpg

I was thinking something very similar. Will probably chew up a few drill bits, but yea, I'm with ya

ok, so I got some 304 Stainless and built the real things... Made 4 of the skewers.. here's how they came out -

Made 1/8' holes to receive 1/8" stainless rod. Hopefully that will keep things from falling off.. like whole chickens or something..

Took KLS's advice and just made the hook open for easier off and on...

Truthfully I have no idea how much I will actually use these, but I needed a project and it sounded like fun. Looking forward to trying them out. I got some extra 1/8 steel rod I plan on making some more lightweight skewers from as well.

I also got some stainless sheet from Chris (OIFMArine) so I made a giant butt flippin' spatula. I cut out the shape with a jigsaw and then ground the edges down to a nice angle. I finished it all with an orbital sander..

I don't know what the wood is... Some exotic scrap I found in the bin... But it is very farkin' hard wood.. Machiche maybe?

On the bottom side of the handle, I ran the wood longer and cut it at an angle to match the angle of the steel. This should give a little extra support when the weight is heavy on the flipper. I did not glue that part down, as I think it will be moving too much to be permanently tied into the handle..

The Wood is held on with a strong epoxy, and drilled a bunch of holes through the stainless to ensure that both side of the wood made good contact with the epoxy and each other. I tried like hell to get them back apart, and this seemed to work well. Early weight tests show that it can easily pick up an orbital sander, a hammer, and a full sized split. Looking forward to seeing how it does with a butt!

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew!

I'm still a ways off from being able to sell em, that's for sure... I was thinking about making a few for friends, but decided that if I did I would seek out someone with a laser cutter... Stainless chews through Jig saw blads like nobody's business... and it leaves a nasty cut that requires major clean up.

I made some years ago out of the SS strips that are part of windshield wiper blades. Your's look much more substantial.

Back